PDA

View Full Version : squats...

talrock
02-17-2005, 01:05 PM
would it be overkill to squat twice a week, box squats (8x2-3 reps) increasing and a normal squat routine (5x5) with consistent weight through all sets?

or would it be better to alternate every week between the two squats?

Saint Patrick
02-17-2005, 01:36 PM
Squatting 2x/week is fine, try to space your sessions 3 days apart to allow for adequate recovery time.

jazer80
02-17-2005, 01:56 PM
i think that your training history would matter here, also what kind of weight (as a % of your one rep max) are you using on this? i know a ton of people who cannot handle that much

drew
02-17-2005, 04:10 PM
SOmetimes I mix in 2x/week squats. With heavy squats on one day and light, high rep or box squats the other. I've gone 3x/week on squats, but not for more than 4 weeks at a time.

If I could, I would squat every day.

Chubrock
02-17-2005, 07:50 PM
I squat 4 days a week. Low Box Squats on Monday, Parallel Box Squats Tuesday, Rest Wed, Slightly Above Parallel Box Squats Thursday, and ATG Squats on Friday. Of course pretty much the only thing I do is squat.

SW
02-17-2005, 08:02 PM
^ squater

jazer80
02-17-2005, 09:05 PM
I squat 4 days a week. Low Box Squats on Monday, Parallel Box Squats Tuesday, Rest Wed, Slightly Above Parallel Box Squats Thursday, and ATG Squats on Friday. Of course pretty much the only thing I do is squat.
haha that's crazy. when do you do upper body?

the reason i asked earlier is because if you meant that you're going until failure, then you may not handle it. of course if you're doing a westside program you will be doing two days of squatting weekly, one max effort day and one speed day.

biggimp
02-18-2005, 01:55 AM
i only squat once a week. but on days i do squat, i do it twice: once in the morning, and once in the afternoon. my numbers are continuing to climb steadily, so its working for me...

Chubrock
02-18-2005, 06:56 AM
As of right now I don't really do any upperbody (shoulder issue). Next week I'll be back to a similar split that I was on before hurtin' myself. Squat/Upper/Squat/Upper/Squat.

MixmasterNash
02-18-2005, 11:30 AM
Olympic lifters often train squats/similar 6 days a week, with multiple sessions a day. However, they are primarily working on technique and not going for hypertrophy.

Longer rest periods are much better for muscle growth, and even for pure strength.

jazer80
02-18-2005, 12:20 PM
on squats? don't you mean cleans and the olympic lifts? hard to imagine someone of that caliber has any questions on their squat technique