PDA

View Full Version : Reversing pre and post-workout meals?

Kosta
02-18-2005, 04:17 PM
Hello,

Normally I lift on M-W-F at about 6:00PM when I get home from work, and then eat a large post-workout dinner right after. I also have a protein bar and some bread at around 4:30PM as a pre-workout meal.

My question involves lifting in the morning. What if I eat that previously mentioned 'post-workout' meal for breakfast at 7:00AM, wait an hour or so, and then lift? Is this okay? Then wait a while and have the smaller 'pre-workout' meal right after lifting. I would basically just be reversing the pre and post-workout meals. Is that what people normally do if they are lifting weights in the morning?

Thanks,
Kosta

Vido
02-18-2005, 04:34 PM
Why would things change at all based on what time of day you're working out? The last thing you want to do is eat a large meal before a workout.

Saint Patrick
02-18-2005, 04:40 PM
Well for lifting in the morning, you're definitely going to want to eat a big meal in the morning before lifting, and you're definitely going to want to wait a little while to let the food digest.

For post-workout, morning or evening, I'd suggest some whey & dextrose. Quick-absorbing protein & high GI carbs.

Saint Patrick
02-18-2005, 04:44 PM
The last thing you want to do is eat a large meal before a workout.

He said "wait about an hour or so".

Vido
02-18-2005, 05:29 PM
He said "wait about an hour or so".

Now we're getting subjective, but that's still not very long for a "large" meal.

EdgarMex
02-18-2005, 05:31 PM
When I workout in the morning I have a shake 15-30 minutes before (while I'm prepping my meals for the rest of the day) and have a full meal about 30-40 minutes after working out.

darius19
02-18-2005, 05:44 PM
I just take a scoop of whey before and after my workout. Also one scoop in the morning.

Shao-LiN
02-18-2005, 06:39 PM
If you're that worried about the morning workout nutrition, just have a shake that is as big as your post workout one. I don't see why you need to reverse it, just increase the serving size or your pre-workout shake.