PDA

View Full Version : The last question I will ever have regarding oats/oatmeal.

intensity
02-18-2005, 04:42 PM
I've heard people on this board say they eat their oats raw. I just want to make sure I'm understanding that correctly.

It is okay to open the container of old fashioned Quaker oats, grab a handful, and eat it just like that?

I tasted a few raw, just to taste, and really it tastes fine. It's like eating some type of seed. I would much prefer to eat it in this form as opposed to its cooked throwup-esque form which I personally can't stand.

Would the GI still be the same? Would I be losing out on something? Is it just NOT okay to eat like this? Would it not digest well? If you can, please clear up this whole raw oats thing for me.

Thanks in advance.

EdgarMex
02-18-2005, 05:29 PM
There's nothing wrong with eating oats raw, just right out of the container. I used to put them like that on my shakes.

no regrets
02-18-2005, 07:10 PM
I eat them like that with a little bit of milk, tastes pretty good too.

thajeepster
02-18-2005, 07:17 PM
but cooking them you get a lot more bang for your buck, they are alot more filling.

Vitalize
02-19-2005, 12:25 AM
Sorry I wanna chip in here too :)
So if I just, for example open some quaker oats.....you are telling me that it is OK just to throw them in my protein/Meal Replacement shake WITHOUT cooking them first...?
Will they digest properly (probably a stupid Q.... I apologize in advance) :clown:

Vido
02-19-2005, 12:41 AM
So if I just, for example open some quaker oats.....you are telling me that it is OK just to throw them in my protein/Meal Replacement shake WITHOUT cooking them first...?
Will they digest properly (probably a stupid Q.... I apologize in advance) :clown:

Yes, it's fine and they will digest properly.

archanix
02-19-2005, 07:58 AM
yeah, its not like eggs

thajeepster
02-19-2005, 09:40 AM
Sorry I wanna chip in here too :)

It helps to let them soak first, just throw em in the blender and add the water or milk you were going to use pwo before you leave for the gym, they will be nice and soft by the time you get back, Ive never had problems this way.

panth
02-19-2005, 01:49 PM
My personal favourite is half pint milk, 1 cup raw oats, 2 scoops whey and a banana in a blender. one hellavu shake

Vitalize
02-19-2005, 02:06 PM
Awsome. Thanks as usual :)

MM
02-19-2005, 02:48 PM
Oh, yes. My favorite way is to take raw oats and mix them with organic strawberry yogurt. It's a really good, healthy, and tasty breakfast or snack.

wrestlemaniac
02-20-2005, 04:15 AM
They're better for you raw too. When you cook anything it raises the GI and takes away some of the nutrients/vitamins.

Geeper
02-20-2005, 08:14 AM
I don't know whether it's because they are so dry, but I find raw oats a lot more filling.

A cup of dry oats is a great filling snack, and I agree, I perfer them dry too.

Vido
02-20-2005, 01:36 PM
I don't know whether it's because they are so dry, but I find raw oats a lot more filling.

A cup of dry oats is a great filling snack, and I agree, I perfer them dry too.

You don't have to eat them dry. You still mix them with water, you just don't heat them up. They're actually A LOT LESS filling this way. I can eat about 3 x as many using this method...which is why as much as I like them raw, I usually cook them. No one needs to be eating 4 cups oats in one sitting :D.