PDA

View Full Version : 18-year old gal needs a lil help

luckee001
02-19-2005, 12:43 PM
Ok i posted on this forum about a week ago but things have changed since then. I am 18 years old,female, Senior in high school, trying to gain about 10 more pounds before college next year. (I have already gained 20 pounds since an E.D./over exercise problem) I am currently 96 pounds. I have been eating around 1400 calories a day and my weight gain has plateaued.(i think the only reason i was gaining before was because my metabolism was shot) But my trainer sat me down yesterday and said that I need to gain this last 10 pounds, and stop putting it off. Here comes the scary part... we got my body fat tested by the calipers, and it was only 5%. I didn't think that was right, so we got it tested again at a medical facility (where they do this scan thing across your whole body for bone density and it also does body fat like 100% accurately) and it was in fact 5% body fat. So, I guess i really do need to gain some more weight fast. But I'm really scared because me trainer is going to put me on a prescribed diet with 2100 calories, 51% carbs, only 19% protein, and 30% fat!!! I dont mind the 2100 calories, but I completely disagree with the ratios. I wanted more protein but he said this puts me at about 100 grams, which is over 1 gram per pound and more than enough. But 30% fat is like 70 grams of fat.... isn't that overkill for a 96 pound female? I wanted to get some of your experts opinion on this. I don't really have a choice to negotiate with him, but I dont think he is right. He is also making me drink 20 oz of accelerade ( 40 grams high glycemic carbs and 10 grams whey protein) during my weight training (i dont do ANY cardio!) . Then ANOTHER high carb shake with a little protein right after. Am i going to gain any muscle on this or all fat? Is he wrong or am I over-reacting about the ratios?

MM
02-19-2005, 12:48 PM
I don't know your health situation (i.e. why you're so light), so I'm not sure how concrete my opinion is. I think the ratios sound okay, depending on what the fat sources are. 70 grams of healthy fats are fine, whereas 70 grams of fat from hamburgers might not be. Like I said, the ratios seem okay, depending on what kind of food you're eating. It seems wrong not to do any cardio, but, again, I'm assuming this has something to do with your health situation.

Good luck.

Manveet
02-19-2005, 12:50 PM
Ok i posted on this forum about a week ago but things have changed since then. I am 18 years old,female, Senior in high school, trying to gain about 10 more pounds before college next year. (I have already gained 20 pounds since an E.D./over exercise problem) I am currently 96 pounds. I have been eating around 1400 calories a day and my weight gain has plateaued.(i think the only reason i was gaining before was because my metabolism was shot) But my trainer sat me down yesterday and said that I need to gain this last 10 pounds, and stop putting it off. Here comes the scary part... we got my body fat tested by the calipers, and it was only 5%. I didn't think that was right, so we got it tested again at a medical facility (where they do this scan thing across your whole body for bone density and it also does body fat like 100% accurately) and it was in fact 5% body fat. So, I guess i really do need to gain some more weight fast. But I'm really scared because me trainer is going to put me on a prescribed diet with 2100 calories, 51% carbs, only 19% protein, and 30% fat!!! I dont mind the 2100 calories, but I completely disagree with the ratios. I wanted more protein but he said this puts me at about 100 grams, which is over 1 gram per pound and more than enough. But 30% fat is like 70 grams of fat.... isn't that overkill for a 96 pound female? I wanted to get some of your experts opinion on this. I don't really have a choice to negotiate with him, but I dont think he is right. He is also making me drink 20 oz of accelerade ( 40 grams high glycemic carbs and 10 grams whey protein) during my weight training (i dont do ANY cardio!) . Then ANOTHER high carb shake with a little protein right after. Am i going to gain any muscle on this or all fat? Is he wrong or am I over-reacting about the ratios?

You are over-reacting about the ratios.

Fat will not make you fat. Overall calories are going to be more important.

Considering your bf % and how much you weigh, your trainer is doing the right thing.

KingJustin
02-19-2005, 12:51 PM
Hey luckee...

I don't post a whole lot anymore, so I may forget to give another response, but your trainer seems to be giving you some decent advice. 1g of protein per lb of body weight should be fine (some argue that it's more than needed). Simply weight training and gaining weight will probably help add some muscle on, though. The fat isn't all that much, especially considering that you are only 5% fat right now and don't seem to have had too much prior to this (in other words it won't be unhealthy). Even if you did put on all fat, though (which won't be the case), it probably would look good anyway.

Good luck...

AdmiralDan
02-19-2005, 12:54 PM
i agree. the ratio's look fine. like mike said, make sure they are good fats

Vido
02-19-2005, 02:55 PM
You are over-reacting about the ratios.

Fat will not make you fat. Overall calories are going to be more important.

Considering your bf % and how much you weigh, your trainer is doing the right thing.

:withstupi

GEOFF361
02-19-2005, 03:08 PM
u r tiny! nah,u will definitely gain muscle, especially if u are activley werking out, and eating like you said, give it a few weeks and i bet you'll be lookin pretty good.

luckee001
02-19-2005, 04:35 PM
thanks guys for all the support... it just seems like a lot of fat, 70 grams, for such a tiny girl. I am used to eating like 25 grams of fat a day. lol. so is fat stored more easily as fat than carbs, or is it the opposite?

Vido
02-19-2005, 04:46 PM
so is fat stored more easily as fat than carbs, or is it the opposite?

It is actually, but it's a lot more complicated than that. You can't just say if you eat more fat you will automatically store more.

Organichu
02-19-2005, 04:49 PM
If I may ask, how tall are you?

RBC13
02-20-2005, 09:09 AM
I think it looks fine, but you really should be doing some cardio to make your heart stronger when you gain the weight, and if your worried about not gaining weight still, then just eat more. You're only eating 1400 cals right now, and 2100 for your bulk, so i dont think the ratios will make that big of a difference. The ratios look alright, and he probably didnt want you to have too much of a spike in protein or something. Like going from 50g to 150g. You will never hit the same ratios everyday, and you can always adjust based on how you feel. Three myths i wanted to tell you. Myth one-fat makes you fat, completely untrue, everyone on here can vouch for that. Myth two-carbs make you fat-they give you much needed energy, and only if you lay down all day would you get fat. Myth three-You must eat all protein to gain muscle-while protein is needed, such hight amounts arent really needed. Just somewhere from 1-1.5g per lb of bw should be fine. An exception might be someone like Arnold Schwartzanagger but dont worry about that. Good luck on the weight, and just remember when all else fails eat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

luckee001
02-20-2005, 01:09 PM
im 5 foot 6

JustinASU
02-20-2005, 01:13 PM
A female at that BF% isn't exactly considered healthy. Listen to your trainer.

thetopdog
02-20-2005, 01:15 PM
so is fat stored more easily as fat than carbs, or is it the opposite?

Neither are really stored more easily as fat, it mostly depends on your total caloires, if you're burning more calories than you take in, or if you're only eating a little bit more calories than you burn, you won't be storing any fat anyways

And girls need a little fat on them, it's good for you

Vido
02-20-2005, 01:24 PM
Neither are really stored more easily as fat, it mostly depends on your total caloires, if you're burning more calories than you take in, or if you're only eating a little bit more calories than you burn, you won't be storing any fat anyways

Total calories is partly what I was getting at in my post above. However, if you were to be in a caloric surplus fat IS stored more easily as fat. You burn considerably more calories turning carbs into fat, than just merely storing the fat as fat.

thetopdog
02-20-2005, 03:23 PM
Total calories is partly what I was getting at in my post above. However, if you were to be in a caloric surplus fat IS stored more easily as fat. You burn considerably more calories turning carbs into fat, than just merely storing the fat as fat.

While that's probably true, and may be relevant for a pre-contest bodybuilder. I doubt the difference is that significant, and I really don't think this girl is in a position to worry that type of thing

Vido
02-20-2005, 03:38 PM
While that's probably true, and may be relevant for a pre-contest bodybuilder. I doubt the difference is that significant, and I really don't think this girl is in a position to worry that type of thing

Oh, I totally agree. Just trying to keep the facts straight, that's all.

Chiznarles
02-22-2005, 09:04 AM
that sounds fine, but make sure your foods are clean.. actually at such a low bf%, just keep eating.. issn't it dangerous for women to be at 5% bf? I heard at those levels, they stop having their periods.

luckee001
02-22-2005, 10:26 AM
i thought i would update you guys on my meal plan. I talked to him, and we re-configured.... I think what we decided on is about 2000 calories/ 130 grams protein (which i think is enough for my weight, right? should i increase this?) / a little over 200 grams carbs and 35-40 grams of fat... we will up it if I need to. What do you think? I feel a little more comfortable with this.

Breakfast 7:30
cup dry oatmeal
1 cup soy milk
cup egg whites
banana
1 tablespoon peanut butter

Snack 10:30

These protein bars called jay robb bars http://www.jayrobb.com/jayroorpebub.html that I have not had before but he wants me to use as a snack because he says they are 11 grams good fats from almond butter" What do you think?

Lunch
3/4 cup oatmeal with chopped apple
Mixed veggies
tuna fish or 1 cup egg whites

3:00-4:00 workout- Shake
Accelerade (spors drink with 40 grams high glycemic carbs/10 grams whey protein) (he is making me drink this)

Post workout: 4:30
Myoplex Lite shake
sweet potato

Pre- Bed 7:30
1 oz almonds OR 1 whole egg and oz almonds
1 cup cottage cheese
3 cups cauliflower

Vido
02-22-2005, 10:31 AM
that looks pretty damn good to me

Patz
02-22-2005, 03:10 PM
I could be wrong here, but it sounds like she went through an eating disorder and won't be allowed to leave for college until they are sure she's healthy enough to make it on her own. We all know that college life makes in incredibly difficult to maintain proper eating habits. That looks like a good diet, but don't be afraid of carrying a few pounds of fat either...guys like that. Those that don't are just a$$holes you don't need to be wasting your time with anyway. Good luck.

waynis
02-22-2005, 03:24 PM
put some olive oil on your veggies. Maybe put some fish or flax oil in the mix too :thumbup:

darius19
02-22-2005, 03:34 PM
I could be wrong here, but it sounds like she went through an eating disorder and won't be allowed to leave for college until they are sure she's healthy enough to make it on her own. We all know that college life makes in incredibly difficult to maintain proper eating habits. That looks like a good diet, but don't be afraid of carrying a few pounds of fat either...guys like that. Those that don't are just a$$holes you don't need to be wasting your time with anyway. Good luck.

I agree. Definetly dont worry about putting on a bit more fat, trust me guys DO LIKE THAT. I know at least I do. You will also be a lot healthier and feel better in the long run. Its probly really hard in the beginning but you should definetly up it to at least 10%-12% BF (If not more).

Pitfan04
02-22-2005, 03:39 PM
Ohh yeah Darius....I love them girls with meat on there bones.

Luckee, no matter what your situation is, GOOD LUCK, I hope you make it to your goal. Never know, one day we might be seeing you in bodybuilding mags. Again, GOOD LUCK

SDhick
02-22-2005, 04:12 PM
Your diet sounds good, and I am glad to hear you are working out this is the best way to be healthy, and take it from a bunch of guys who work out its ok to put on some weight trust us we really do like it, it will make you look really good with muscle tone.
I wish you luck girl and stick with the weights and eating good it will change your life for the good.

luckee001
02-22-2005, 05:54 PM
thanks guys, i really appreciate all the support