PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Protein, Why are Deli Meats bad protein

lookingaround
02-19-2005, 02:12 PM
I was recently told that Deli Meats were bad source of Protein. Why is this. I am in college so I don' know what else to eat...what are some good sources of protein that are cheap and low in fat and convenient

Optimum08
02-19-2005, 02:26 PM
deli meats aren't bad protein persay...they just have a lot of sodium added....u should check out grocery store sales etc. cuz they usually always have some kind of lean ground beef on sale or chicken thighs, breasts etc. on sale..

Vido
02-19-2005, 02:52 PM
Most foods that are "processed" are going to be labelled as "bad". Quite frankly, I don't find deli meat that cheap on a protein/g basis, but if you can get it cheaper than other things then go for it. Just try to limit your sodium intake from other foods.

GEOFF361
02-19-2005, 03:45 PM
eggs are pretty cheap, i eat like a carton and a half a week. also tuna fish aint bad. and u can eat **** loads of peanut butter sandwiches

CarlP
02-19-2005, 04:36 PM
Eggs, peanut butter and tuna are all good options. Lots of different ways to eat them, many are convenient to make.

ryuage
02-19-2005, 04:36 PM
everywhere I know sells deli sliced meat more then other sources of protein

Organichu
02-19-2005, 04:47 PM
A carton and a half of eggs in a week?

I use that in two days.. :(

Vido
02-19-2005, 05:12 PM
A carton and a half of eggs in a week?

I use that in two days.. :(

2 days? I was thinking more along the lines of 1 ;)

GEOFF361
02-19-2005, 07:29 PM
you egg mongers are...sick!!

Shao-LiN
02-19-2005, 08:50 PM
1 day? I can do it in 12 hours!

Ok, so no I don't...but I just wanted to one up everyone.

Organichu
02-19-2005, 09:17 PM
2 days? I was thinking more along the lines of 1 ;)

Glutton. :)

reaver
02-19-2005, 11:55 PM
Burger is pretty cheap. I don't see deli/lunch meet being that good of deal protein/$. I would look for roasts to go on sale. Turkeys go on sale sometimes for under a $1/lb. Thats alot of good protein for $10-12. Can freeze it. Turket breast are even better, they go on sale once in a while. Just throw them in the oven and take them out when times is up. Easy.

TTT
02-20-2005, 06:40 PM
Cheap gravy beef/stewing steak. Can't go past it, IMO. All you need is a big pot or crock pot, leave it in there for about 4 hours, and it's great. Cooking it that long probably destroys a bit of the protein, but it sure does taste good.
Edit: Sorry, I forgot you're in college. Well cottage cheese and yoghurt and milk always go down well, do you have a fridge?

justliftin
02-20-2005, 08:56 PM
whats better? torillas or wheat bread?

Manveet
02-20-2005, 10:33 PM
whats better? torillas or wheat bread?

You mean tortillas.

Meh, really a toss up. Neither are great, but they won't kill you either. Personally, I would go with the whole wheat bread, tends to have more calories than a regular tortilla.

lookingaround
02-22-2005, 01:48 PM
Yea, I have a fridge. It's weird though--when I eat yogurt i don't really get filled up...is yogurt a good source of protein? It's not as pure a protein as meat though, right. If it good for you, i can eat more

Max-Mex
02-22-2005, 02:02 PM
You mean tortillas.

Meh, really a toss up. Neither are great, but they won't kill you either. Personally, I would go with the whole wheat bread, tends to have more calories than a regular tortilla.

You're eating the wrong tortillas homey! :p

Probably more nurtrients in whole wheat bread. Tortillas rock though! Corn ones that is. Flour ones are just plain bad....but taste sooooo good!

waynis
02-22-2005, 03:04 PM
It depends how the meats are processed. Some will add loads of sodium and artificial flavoring, preservatives and all that crap. You have to check the labels. Dietz n watson makes a low sodium, no preservative all natural cut turkey. A few other companies do to. Just look at the labels to see if it's good for you or not.

Isaac Wilkins
02-22-2005, 04:21 PM
Yea, I have a fridge. It's weird though--when I eat yogurt i don't really get filled up...is yogurt a good source of protein? It's not as pure a protein as meat though, right. If it good for you, i can eat more

Actually, the milk protein in yogurt is a better protein than meat. That's not to say that you shouldn't eat meat, as it is a good protein with other good nutrients.

Yogurt is a good source of protein, but it has a lot of carbs in it. If you're watching carbs, then I'd choose cottage cheese over yogurt.