PDA

View Full Version : stuck on deadlift plateau

biggimp
02-19-2005, 11:43 PM
hope i dont sound stupid, i did a search on the forums and found nothing... anyways:

i have been at about 525 on deadlift for about 3 months now. i have gotten over that only twice, but those were both like 2 months ago. now i struggle with 525. here is how a typical 500 lb deadlift goes for me:
pick the bar up, withing about 2-3 seconds my legs are pretty near locked out. except im still half bent over. i then have to use my lower back to pull myself upright. my grip is fine. when i try like 535, my legs get about 75% to lockout and the bar is only like 6 inches off the ground.

grip is not my problem. also, i try really hard not to lock out my legs so soon, but i cant help it. what is my weakspot, and what do i need to work on? i thought it was hammies, but i have been doing sldls for the past 2 months and they feel like they have been working me good, but ive gotten no results.

lilmase1153
02-19-2005, 11:47 PM
my only guess is i know you just hit some good #s on squat maybe tahts limiting you.. my squat #s have suffered from starting to do deads so maybe for you its the oppesite..

good luck getting past your plateau though

andy51
02-20-2005, 10:38 AM
maybe use light weight and work on perfecting your form. Maxing out every work out isn't always the best option. Also vary your rep scheme and stuff from work out to work out.

Chris Rodgers
02-20-2005, 02:13 PM
Yea, what does your routine look like? My deadlift was stuck for a while and I started pulling a lot less often and hit a few big PR's in a row.

bIgHwN86
02-20-2005, 03:41 PM
:withstupi

same here....

aormz
02-20-2005, 04:39 PM
check out the MM2k program.. it's designed to add weight on exercises.. I'm sure if you use it with deadlift, you'll add another 50-70 lbs

http://users.rcn.com/dl.interport/bench.html

it's for bench, but i've used it for squat and it's been successfull for me

emjlr3
02-20-2005, 07:19 PM
would u guy ssuggest doing deads maybe every other wek instead of every week?

biggimp
02-20-2005, 11:46 PM
i dont really max every week. i can just tell that my max isnt going up by the fact that it hasnt gotten any easier for me to pull 450-500lbs... and i dont really deadlift that much, about every other week. i usually do about 6,5,4,3 or 5,4,4,3 or something along those lines. i do most of my leg work with squats, sldls and goodmornings etc...

emjlr3
02-21-2005, 10:15 AM
try doing deads on back day maybe, not leg day, and make those far from each other in your split, that is what i do, and maybe try diff reps, maybe 10,8,6,4 or something like that, right now i do 8,6,4,2 and that has been giving me pretty good gains

AKraut
02-23-2005, 02:38 PM
Making slight adjustments or improvements to form usually gets me through plateus. Since you're pulling 100lbs more than I am I don't know how much advice you could use from me but one technique I use is rolling the bar into my ankles (not fast) and then dropping my ass before the pull in one fluid motion to give me a sense of momentum, it improved my big lifts by a lot.

On another note, I'm a lot like you, my legs lockout very early and my lower back does the rest. It might be a body-type thing, I have long arms so if I don't get my legs straight early I'll be pulling the bar into my shins and not sliding up them, if that even makes sense.