PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Diet - Please Critique.

Will.S
02-20-2005, 10:28 AM
Hi, all, this is my first post. Have been into bodybuilding about a year now, and have managed to train myself down form 14st of flab into about 11 st 8 of lean. Yet, now I want size! I appreciate that putting on a bit of fat may be nessescary in gaining size, but i'd like to avoid it wherever possible (i like being able to see my abs!) So, since before Christmas, I have been following the diet plan below:

7.00 AM Breakfast:
4 x Wheat Cereal (about 400 Kals with milk)
1 x Can o Tuna (yes it can be done in the morning!)

10 AM Midmorning:
1 Apple
Whey Protein Shake

1 PM Lunch:
4 x Eggs, Scrambled
3 x Slices Whole Wheat toast

4 PM Midafternoon/POST TRAINING:
1 Pint Skimmed Milk
2 Bananas

7 PM Dinner:
1 x Chicken breast/ can of tuna
1 x Jacket Potato
300g Mixed veg

10PM Evening:
100g Oats
Whey Protein shake

I am, however, in my university from 9AM - 6 PM on most weekdays, and Its some 3 miles from where I live. My only option is to cycle there, so you must factor in about half an hours cycling, Plus the fact that I train six days a week (and that aint going to change, people have tried to reform me and failed). I want to pack on some quality lean size, so I basically followed a diet plan i saw (all hail) Dorian Yates put together.

I'm consuming about 3000 kals / day, and am 5"11. Do you think this is enough? Having been on it two months now, I've yet to see any massive gains.

Feel free to comment, I really would appreciate it.

pruneman
02-20-2005, 10:35 AM
Your food choices are good, but you need more fat. As far as being enough food...has your weight changed? My guess is that you need more calories...maybe get your hands on some natty PB

Will.S
02-20-2005, 10:38 AM
Have put on a pound or 2, but nothing major. I look pretty lean ATM and I like it, but am extremley paranoid of getting fat again... Maybe my cals are too low, i'm really not sure.

archanix
02-20-2005, 11:13 AM
EFA

AdmiralDan
02-20-2005, 11:43 AM
pruneman is right. you need some fats. natural peanut butter, nuts, olive oil. just get something to get some fat into your diet

Stupendous
02-20-2005, 12:16 PM
10PM, is that right before you go to bed? You don't want whey then as that is a fast absorbing protein. You want a slow absorbing protein - casein protein (milk, cottage cheese). Post-workout you want whey protein.

Will.S
02-20-2005, 01:13 PM
i'd eat the oats first, then have my shake just before i got into bed. with the amount of (skimmed) milk i put on my porrige ne, i'll get enough slow & fast. Are you gus sure about the fats? I seem to rember reading that 50g was more than enough per day...

Vido
02-20-2005, 01:27 PM
1) more fat...20-30% of your total calories should come from fat

2) like Stupendous said, have another source of protein before bed, eg. cottage cheese, eggs, tuna, meat, etc.

3) Bananas aren't the greatest source of carbs post-workout. I don't think you have to get into the whole dextrose/maltodextrin thing. I'd say drop 1 banana and have another 2/3cup oats or something.