PDA

View Full Version : Is Chili ok to eat when cutting?

myztikal47
02-20-2005, 06:30 PM
Well is it? Theres a local place that makes it for $2.50 a cup, very spicy, or theres always wendy's....I don't usually have time to make a meal for myself, so its either I don't eat, or if I do eat, I wanna eat something healthy since I started lifting and all and I was thiking chili would be OK since it contains meat and beans for protein....Thanks.

ryuage
02-20-2005, 06:33 PM
what exactly is it that you do 24 hours a day 7 days a week that keeps you from making a simple meal for yourself

myztikal47
02-20-2005, 06:39 PM
what exactly is it that you do 24 hours a day 7 days a week that keeps you from making a simple meal for yourself

school and work......ehh its not that, its just i even if i do have time to make something, i can't make it very tasty, nor do i have to stuff to make it...like right now, I'm hungry as hell but I theres nothing to eat so I'll probably end up just not eating tonight.

TTT
02-20-2005, 06:43 PM
You need to eat. How old are you? If you can't even buy food for yourself and cook it, there's something wrong.

myztikal47
02-20-2005, 06:45 PM
Haha...I'm 19, 220lbs right now, I'd say around 25-30% body fat so I'm finally tryin to loose weight and whatnot, joined the gym and stuff. I've lost 7lbs since monday of last week by just drinking water and eating a energy bar or two during the day, it really sucks so thats why I'm asking if Chili is ok to eat?? or will it just make me gain weight or not loose any?

Shao-LiN
02-20-2005, 06:55 PM
So you're following the model's starve yourself silly diet?

dissipate
02-20-2005, 08:55 PM
what? you drank only water and ate only one or two energy bars?? starving your body is absolutely NOT the right way to lose weight/bodyfat so whether you eat chilli with beans and meat doesn't really matter to me.

there's always time to cook; it depends on whether you want to make time for it or not. and if the meals you cook aren't tasty, just eat them, learn how to make them more tasty and cook something tastier next time! not eating is 110% worse for your body than eating something not tasty.

there are tons of articles and threads at wannabebig.com and this forum on proper nutrition and receipes - read them.

Not Not Brian
02-20-2005, 10:41 PM
Go to the grocery store, spend 100 bucks on things that are on the "what bodybuilders eat" sticky, mix stuff up, and taaadaaaa - meal. Eat clean (no fast food, deep fried food, soda, etc...) and research on these forums how you should go about finding your goal for caloric intake, the one thing I've found is that you're not dedicated to loosing fat/gaining muscle unless you're willing to count calories and be strick about controlling your appetite. Don't be deterred by some of the negative comments above, if you ask intelligent questions (i.e. research it first) they can be a huge resource towards reaching your goal.

FYI: If you shop smart, 100 dollars in a grocery store can go a very long way. Much longer than eating out.

andy51
02-20-2005, 11:04 PM
You must eat. Starving yourself will take all your muscles.

reaver
02-21-2005, 12:00 AM
When I am working 12 hour night shifts there sure isn't much time or motivation. Throw in responsibilites. Not so easy. I eat more stuff that shouldn't, simply cause I don't have time. we can't all work 8 hours a day or be students.

dissipate
02-21-2005, 01:01 AM
about cooking, if you can afford it get john berardi's Gourmet Nutrition
http://www.johnberardi.com/products/index.htm

i've heard lots of great comments on it by women bodybuilders on another forum.

there are also other receipes in this forum that don't take much time...

like how much time does it take to microwave oats heh. i dump them in the microwave for 2 minutes and they're done and ready to eat. brocolli - one minute. tuna - right out of the can. chicken breast - defrost, boil, eat with soya sauce chilli or italian dressing or turn it into chicken salad. add pasta (all you have to do is boil). these things hardly take up any time......

dissipate
02-21-2005, 01:03 AM
oh btw. cottage cheese - right out of the cup. milk - drink it. yogurt - out of the cup. you know what i mean?

SDhick
02-21-2005, 03:22 AM
You must eat food, you will loose muscle mass from not eating and you wont look good when you lose weight, eating right lifting weights and cardio HIIT will be the best plan.

Eddan
02-21-2005, 04:08 AM
I agree with everything thatís been said here. Just answering your question though: Chili from a fast food restaurant will probably not be very good for you (nutrition-wise). Still, it is probably better than most other fast food; deep fried crap, burgers, pizza etc.

Progress
02-21-2005, 10:07 AM
If you're going to eat chili, you really should make it yourself. It isn't hard to find a good recipe. Plus when you make it yourself you can avoid some of the big downfalls of chili, them being high salt content and ground beef. You can put in less salt and use ground turkey instead of beef.

ryuage
02-21-2005, 10:51 AM
When I am working 12 hour night shifts there sure isn't much time or motivation. Throw in responsibilites. Not so easy. I eat more stuff that shouldn't, simply cause I don't have time. we can't all work 8 hours a day or be students.

thats just pure laziness im sorry.... sometimes my job requires me to work 7 days a week sometimes it requires me to work 24 hours straight (literally) and on top of that I was working a second job whenever I had some free time and taking college classes.... your time is what you make of it.

jbarba
02-21-2005, 11:33 AM
TAKE TO WORK with you turkey coldcuts mustard and whole wheat pita bread. it works wonders

abwowang
02-21-2005, 11:47 AM
chili itself is good food.. but there are a lot of other much better options.. and for 2.50.. its not that great of a price anyways.. chili is more for a bulking diet anyways.. if ur tryin to cut just eat lean.. it'll do u good

Shao-LiN
02-21-2005, 06:01 PM
Making excuses for yourself is how you don't make progress. Don't make excuses, find solutions.

myztikal47
02-21-2005, 06:06 PM
TAKE TO WORK with you turkey coldcuts mustard and whole wheat pita bread. it works wonders

i thought ur not supposed to eat cold cuts??

AKraut
02-21-2005, 09:35 PM

You thought wrong. Sliced turkey breast is one of the best things you can eat on the go.

Back on to Chili. Someone posted the macros for Wendy's chili a little while back and it was suprisingly not that bad. You guys are a little too critical. Not everyone has access to a fridge at work or the ability to carry a cooler around all day. On tuesdays and thursdays I have 14 hour days of class/work. I toss things in my backpack to eat in between but those aren't always the most desirable. I grab a Wendy's chili on those days just for something hot and already prepared, as long as you don't pump a ton of crackers into it it's not bad at all.

Shao-LiN
02-21-2005, 09:39 PM

At this point, I'd be happy if you just ate more. 2 MRPs won't do it.

ryuage
02-22-2005, 03:51 AM
You thought wrong. Sliced turkey breast is one of the best things you can eat on the go.

Back on to Chili. Someone posted the macros for Wendy's chili a little while back and it was suprisingly not that bad. You guys are a little too critical. Not everyone has access to a fridge at work or the ability to carry a cooler around all day. On tuesdays and thursdays I have 14 hour days of class/work. I toss things in my backpack to eat in between but those aren't always the most desirable. I grab a Wendy's chili on those days just for something hot and already prepared, as long as you don't pump a ton of crackers into it it's not bad at all.

i cant even think of one job that tells you that you cant bring food to work =\

zer06ame
02-22-2005, 06:48 AM
i cant even think of one job that tells you that you cant bring food to work =\

i work at a movie theatre (i'm 16, 17 soon enough) and if you're over 18 you don't even get a break. you work for 8hrs the most u can get is one 10 minute break, and they won't even give you that if it's busy...which it almost always is. so you can't really eat at work :/. my bitch supervisor wouldn't let me eat the other day, i told her i'd like to see wut she could do about me eating my meal, of course, she didn't do anything (i'm bulking, i need that food)

zer06ame
02-22-2005, 06:51 AM
oh yea, and don't starve yourself dude
i basically did that in 9th grade (i ate 3 meals a day and 1 small snack) and i had seriously no muscle when i was finished (although my leg muscles were good from running 3 miles a day), big pain in the ass to gain all that back, don't do it...

dissipate
02-22-2005, 07:00 AM
well if you're wondering what to eat

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=46565

there are a few posts about deli meat in there.

and a natty PB sandwich doesn't require a fridge or cooler....

Chiznarles
02-22-2005, 08:37 AM
i work at a movie theatre (i'm 16, 17 soon enough) and if you're over 18 you don't even get a break. you work for 8hrs the most u can get is one 10 minute break, and they won't even give you that if it's busy...which it almost always is. so you can't really eat at work :/. my bitch supervisor wouldn't let me eat the other day, i told her i'd like to see wut she could do about me eating my meal, of course, she didn't do anything (i'm bulking, i need that food)

I think working for 8 hours and only getting a 10 minute break is illegal.. i think the law requires employers to give at least a 30 minute break for 8 hours of work.

Chiznarles
02-22-2005, 08:41 AM
for chili, I eat this sometimes...

http://www.hormel.com/brands/variety.asp?id=314

Its quick and easy... just pop it in the microwave for a few minutes and its done.. 34g protien, 14g fat, 60g carb..

Relentless
02-22-2005, 08:42 AM
if you can make it to wendy's for chili, you can instead order a classic double without the bun. They'll serve it in one of those little plastic things that baked potatoes come in and it will be just the burgers and the toppings. Protein and fat with minimal carbs.

or order one of the chicken breast salads (they are more expensive)

hell if you're trying to save money, even ordering 2-3 of the cheap-ass Jr. Bacon Cheeseburgers without buns will give you a pretty decent little protein meal for 2-3 bucks

Chiznarles
02-22-2005, 08:56 AM
hell, carl's junior will sell just the grilled chicken breast from their chicken sandwiches for i think $2/breast. Its a pretty good alternative if you're on the run and need some protien

AKraut
02-22-2005, 12:29 PM
Since we're on the Wendy's topic, they allow the side substitution now, so you can get a classic double without bun, side salad, and diet soda for like $4.50. Not that bad for a fast-food combo. Watch their dressings though, I know their ranch has too many carbs for my liking and their other dressings are loaded with sugar.

shansen008
02-22-2005, 05:46 PM
Relating to the posters actual question........(you guys are way too critical, just answer his question)

Yes the chili at Wendy's is much better for you then anything on their menu, or anything else at a fast food restaurant for that matter. Like another poster said, tell em to not even throw the crackers in the bag. If you truly dont have time then i dont see a problem with it. Its always better to make your own meals though.

More importantly then what youre eating, is what youre drinking. CUT OUT ALL THE SODA (i know you drink em) and just drink water with every meal. You'll be surprised how fast you drop weight. Soda pop is so damn dense calorie wise.

reaver
02-22-2005, 05:49 PM
thats just pure laziness im sorry.... sometimes my job requires me to work 7 days a week sometimes it requires me to work 24 hours straight (literally) and on top of that I was working a second job whenever I had some free time and taking college classes.... your time is what you make of it.
Sorry kids, daddy can't come to your soccer game, he decide to cook instead.