PDA

View Full Version : Carbonated Drinks... like SODA

JJ1984
02-20-2005, 10:29 PM
I've heard somewhere that carbonated drinks like soda deteriorate muscle mass and bone mass. They obviously aren't great for teeth either. Does anyone know if its something that should be avoided for bodybuilding/weightlifting?

Will.S
02-21-2005, 12:38 AM
Certainly, Regular (sugary) drinks should be avoided, but Diet soda is fine. People often say that the Carbonation makes the body retain fat, when actually the opposite is true: carbonation increases the solubilty of caffine in the bloodstream, which in turn can help reduce fats in the body. I'm not advocating it as a cutting technique, however. The downside to diet soda is in the cost, and the acidity, which is terrible for the teeth.

Water > Diet soda at anytime, however.

CarlP
02-21-2005, 06:39 AM
Just start drinking water, it's better for you, and you'll eventually learn to like it. Or at least not hate it as much.

emjlr3
02-21-2005, 10:18 AM
milk is the best supplement

fixationdarknes
02-21-2005, 11:43 AM
Yeah, I used to not like water so much (always wanting to have some kind of sugary drink). But as I've been drinking it more (because it is very healthy for the body), it seems that I always have a glass of water with me now wherever I am in the house and watter bottles with me wherever I go out of the house. I also pee a lot more.

Optimum08
02-21-2005, 11:47 AM
i am usually strictly a water and gatorade drinker (gatorade usually just through the workout) but i like to sneak a diet coke w/lime every now and then...thats the best soda by far....

JJ1984
02-21-2005, 07:39 PM
Yeah definitely. Thanks guys. I seem to just drin kwater and milk these days. Can u technically drink too much milk?

Progress
02-21-2005, 07:47 PM
Yeah definitely. Thanks guys. I seem to just drin kwater and milk these days. Can u technically drink too much milk?

I know your stomach can't keep down a gallon in one hour. You'll throw it up!

But yes, too much of anything is gonna be bad. I'm sure your body will give you signs if you're having too much milk. Besides that, I would think a calcium deposit in the form of a kidney stone would be something you might want to avoid. The limit of how much is too much I have no idea on that though.

CarlP
02-21-2005, 08:35 PM
A gallon in an hour? What did you expect? :drooling: If you drink enough water along with all the milk, you shouldn't have kidney problems.

Progress
02-22-2005, 08:24 AM
A gallon in an hour? What did you expect? :drooling: If you drink enough water along with all the milk, you shouldn't have kidney problems.

Oh, don't be mistaken, I didn't attempt this feat. I just heard it was impossible. Also six saltines in one minute without any fluids is also impossible, from what I've experienced and read.

spencerjrus
02-22-2005, 09:11 AM
No one has ever been able to give me a straight answer on how much milk is too much and at what point it starts becoming unhealthy. I normally drink anywhere from 8-12 cups of whole milk in a day and I feel fine, mileage may vary though as I have a very fast metabolism.