PDA

View Full Version : protein shake question

bobk07
02-21-2005, 01:14 PM
after I lift I mix a scoop of whey protein with skim milk which gives me about 30 grams of protein. I was told that it gets digested in about a half hour so I usually eat a meal a half hour or so after drinking the shake. Is this right? I usually wake up and go strait to the gym and lift. I dont usually eat before I lift if its in the morning because i still have the same energy to lift. Should I keep eating a half hour after drinkin my shake or should I just eat before I lift and just use the shake as a meal?
Also I'm 6 foot 160 with almost no body fat. How much cals/protein should I eat to maintain my mass or maybe just put on a a few pounds more of muscle (I run 3 miles 3-4 times a week).

DNL
02-21-2005, 01:44 PM
hmm you should definitely eat before you lift or do cardio. This'll prevent tissue breakdown. Solid food should always be your first option. for the purpose of gaining weight, eat before you work out and after you work out, and another meal after that, and then have a shake before bed.

try adding an additional 400 to 500 cals to your diet, if you don't see gain in a week, add more. As far as protein concerns, aim for 180-200g a day. And cut back on the running. Run 5 miles once a week or something.

honda2002civic
02-21-2005, 01:46 PM
try eating more calories on days you run, thats a definite

GEOFF361
02-21-2005, 05:25 PM
eat before you lift baby!!!!! u need breakfast, most important meal of tha day!!!!!

JLGoins41
02-23-2005, 04:22 PM
whey protein is a supplement... its not meant to replace a meal.