PDA

View Full Version : 133 Pounds of Furious....Wimp

Simon96Taco
02-21-2005, 08:23 PM
133 lbs as of 5:45pm TODAY.

Will take some pics (tonight) and upload them to this post later.

BACKGROUND:

Have been working out, on and off for the last 2 years. In the beginning, I went from 125lbs up to my heaviest of 145lbs (pretty chubby at that though). Regardless of the chub, I finally realized that EVEN I could gain weight!!!

So, after being lazy for a 5 month stretch or so, I got back at it (about 3 months ago). I've seen a good portion of my strength come back come back, but I'd like to put on some meat. As mentioned before, I'm 133 lbs, at about 5'7" tall.

GOALS:

Long term - I think I'd like to be around 155 lean. I'm not too sure how lean, because I don't know what a particular %age would look like on me. I'm going to guess around 7% - 8% for now, and will revise that goal if I feel necessary. I have ordered myotape and calipers, which should be arriving by this week I would think, so I will take measurements ASAP.

I have started (day 1 was today) my first HST cycle, so I would like to measure up ASAP.

I guess for now, I will use this journal to track the progress of my HST cycle. I will attach the spreadsheet (which I have taken from one of the posters here - thank you!) that you can see my chosen exercises, max lifts, intervals and all that crap.

Simon96Taco
02-21-2005, 08:33 PM
So - on to the HST.

As I said in my first post, today was day 1 of the cycle. Here are a few observations

1. Some of my 15 rep maxes must be off. For example, military presses and squats seemed hard enough that I am worried about what they will be like after adding weight for 5 more workouts. I guess time will tell. May be a lesson learned for using formulas to estimate high-rep maxes.

2. Some of the exercises were ridiculously easy. My 15 rep max for incline dumbbell press I figure to be about 30 pounds. When you subtract 5lbs a day for 5 days you get.....5 POUNDS!! I was doing dumbbell presses with 5 POUNDS!!! Not only did I look stupid, I felt it too. Is there a better way to do this? Should I toss that exercise altogether? Unless I hear otherwise, I'm going to stick to it (Wednesday's workout - 10 lbs here I come!!!!)

Actually, I felt pretty ridiculous much of the time...squatting the bar + 12.5lbs per side!?!?!? hahahahahhhaha...oh well...I will give it the chance it deserves.

Something I'm not sure about is how flexible this routine is with spacing between workouts. My job requires me to work Monday-Friday, and every other week I get Friday off. On the weekends I go visit my gf 2 hours away, where the gym has different equipment (eg for the ab machine). When I have a short week, I leave on a thursday night.

What I'm wondering is - if I workout M/W/F, can I work out M/W/Thurs every other week, or is two days in a row two much on a routine like HST?

I guess we will find out. Maybe I can work out early (6 am) on wednesdays, so my muscles have more time to recover by Thursday night. Anyone else try this? I don't have to worry until next week - this week I don't have Friday off so I will be here.

Simon96Taco
02-22-2005, 08:27 AM
I am actually a tiny bit sore today....my chest...and my glutes...after the FIRST DAY of 15's ???

This makes me believe that my 15 rep maxes are definitely unrealistically high.

EDIT: I am more than a tiny bit sore...moderately sore now I would say.

Simon96Taco
02-22-2005, 06:00 PM
If anyone is reading - has anyone else become noticibly sore after the first day of 15's? Maybe my strategic deconditioning worked better than I expected! :smoke:

Simon96Taco
02-24-2005, 08:26 PM
Ok, so day 2 was yesterday, and it went pretty much the same as the first. Some weights seemed too, some too much, but all in all I think I might not be as far off as I first imagined.

I am reasonably sore again today. Maybe my body is simply not used to such high rep sets ( I have been doing WBB1 style workout for quite some time now). I feel pretty good. I'm really looking forward to seeing the effects that this 6 week cycle has on me.

Played squash for about 45 minutes today. Quite a cardio workout, and lots of fun too! Not sure how much cardio I should be getting while on this cycle, but I figure it can't hurt too much as long as I eat to make up for the calories.

aidano
02-25-2005, 04:03 PM
Hey man.

Don't worry about

a) The weights seeming too light

or

b) Feeling sore after doing weights that seem too light :)

One point though, if your max for 15 reps on the DBs is 30, taking off 5 pounds per workout is possibly a bit much. Feel free to start on 17.5s and progress to 30 by adding 2.5 lbs per workout and doubling up from one workout to the next if necessary.

Simon96Taco
02-25-2005, 06:20 PM
Hey man.

Don't worry about

a) The weights seeming too light

or

b) Feeling sore after doing weights that seem too light :)

One point though, if your max for 15 reps on the DBs is 30, taking off 5 pounds per workout is possibly a bit much. Feel free to start on 17.5s and progress to 30 by adding 2.5 lbs per workout and doubling up from one workout to the next if necessary.

Hey - thanks for the response and the advice! I did want to drop by 2.5lb increments instead of 5, however, my gym doesn't provide that luxury. It's a fairly limited and small gym, and one of the limitations is the number/selection of dumbbells and (lack of) fixed barbells.

Unfortunately, the gym nearby that does offer that sort of thing is both expensive and ridiculously overcrowded!

S.

aidano
02-25-2005, 07:26 PM
OK, instead you could also double up the weight across two workouts, if the increments for an excercise are two small. I do that all the time. To create some sort of progression, do 1 or 2 sets the first time, and 2 or 3 sets the next.

Simon96Taco
02-27-2005, 11:47 AM
OK, instead you could also double up the weight across two workouts, if the increments for an excercise are two small. I do that all the time. To create some sort of progression, do 1 or 2 sets the first time, and 2 or 3 sets the next.

Thanks again for the good idea Aidano :idea:

So...this week is a short week for me. Meaning I have Friday off (unless I end up coming in to work some overtime). So what I was thinking, was to workout at 5:30 AM on Monday & Wednesday, and then workout on Thursday evening at 5pm.

I am hoping that is enough time between the last two workouts to recover. Expecially considering that will be the very last day of 15's for me - maxes.

Also wanted to note that I think I will be dropping the military press sets down to 1. I have been doing 2 sets of ALL exercises so far, but on Friday, my second set of military press seemed like it was getting awfully close to failure.

Simon96Taco
02-28-2005, 11:33 AM
Well, I didn't make it to the gym for a 5:30am workout like planned.

I will go as usual tonight at 5pm. Then Wednesday morning 5:30 am - then Thursday evening 5pm.

Simon96Taco
02-28-2005, 09:23 PM
Felt good tonight. Pretty much everything went OK.

I only did 1 set of military press, and only 1 set of benchpress. Reason: on both of those exercises, after 1 set, I felt that doing a second set would be pushing myself close to, if not all the way to failure.

Ate lots today...several sandwiches, banana, pizza, salmon, potatoes, veggies. Need to have my daily diet look like this more often. I swear that is the single most difficult thing to do when working out (specifically bulking) - eat enough.

snowster900
03-01-2005, 08:49 AM
Nice job man keep up the good work after a few weeks it will get easier to stuff the food into your mouth.

Simon96Taco
03-02-2005, 12:59 PM
Wow...I made it to the gym at 5:45 am today! Did my workout, with 2 sets for every exercise except the following:

Curls
Benchpress
Dumbbell Press
Military Press

Did only 1 set each of those because they are already getting close to failure for me.

My next workout will be tomorrow night instead of Friday, as I am leaving town on Friday. Hopefully I won't be too burned out from this morning.

Simon96Taco
03-05-2005, 10:58 AM
Hit the gym yesterday (Thursday night).

Everything went well, I think for the most part my estimates of my 15 rep maxes were not too bad. None of them pushed me to failure, but several (as mentioned in earlier posts) I had to cut down to 1 set only, or I would have been flirting with failure.

The ab machine was way low. I bumped it up to 65 on my second and I could have gone higher still. Will adjust that accordingly in my 10's and 5's weeks.

Simon96Taco
03-07-2005, 11:42 AM
First day of the two weeks of 10's....I'm excited!!

Itching to get back in the gym...since I worked out M/W/Thurs instead of M/W/F...3 day break has me impatient!

This week I will be working out M/W/F.

Simon96Taco
03-08-2005, 08:37 AM
Went well...everything seemed super light again, but this time I expected it.

Looking forward to tomorrow.

Simon96Taco
03-10-2005, 03:49 PM
Last night good again. Still able to do 2 sets of everything at this point. Will adjust as I need like I did during 15's.

Simon96Taco
03-11-2005, 09:06 AM
My weight is up so far from about 134 to 138...pretty good. Not sure how much is water etc. though...

I haven't eaten well at all last 2 days...hardly eaten anything...probably half of what I should... :mad:

Simon96Taco
03-15-2005, 08:54 PM
Tomorrow is going to be the second last day of 10's. I'm going at 5:30am again. Again, becaues I plan to do my last day of 10's on Thursday evening, rather than Friday (leaving town thursday night again).

I dropped the biceps down to one set yesterday, and came close to failure on my second set of benchpress.

So for tomorrow, two sets for all exercises, except:
-bicep curls
-benchpress