PDA

View Full Version : Crystal Light, Redbull Sugarfree, Minute maid light, etc - Will they stop ketosis?

Chris Miller
02-22-2005, 08:47 PM
I am new to these sugarfree drinks and artificial sweeteners. The stuff just tastes too sweet for me to believe that they wont kick me out of ketosis.

I am aware of the citrus problem that some people have, but can any of these artificial sweeteners that come in these drinks kick you out of ketosis? If so, which ones are ok and which ones should I avoid? Is splenda ok to use?

Thanks in advance

lilmase1153
02-23-2005, 02:47 AM
good Q.. i myself drink a lot of crystal light and i am still losing fairly well. so my guess is crystal light wont effect you that much but im no scientist so i dont know its just in my experience... all of the other drinks mentioned i dont drink them so couldnt help ya sorry..

where's vido when we need him :)

Dirt
02-23-2005, 04:09 AM
If I recall correctly sugar alcohols (ie. sorbitol) can kick you out of ketosis. That could be wrong, might want to look that one up.

TheGimp
02-23-2005, 05:52 AM
Sugar alcohols can absolutely kick you out of ketosis, that's why all these supposed low carb products advertising "impact carbs" are a total con. My only personal experience of a ketogenic diet is UD2.0 where being in ketosis is not really a necessity, although you eat low carb. I drank a lot of sugarfree redbull when on the diet. Bear in mind that being an "energy" drink you'll get a metabolic boost which could offset the impact of the sweeteners.

You could always get some KetoStix to be absolutely sure.

Chris Miller
02-23-2005, 09:33 AM
Yea I have some ketostix so I will have to play around with it. Iím not expected to get into ketosis for another day or so anyway so ill have to try it then.

I am no scientist either but it just seems to good to be true that you can use all these artificial sweeteners that taste almost as good as sugar with no consequence. Are there any studies that show what happens with these things once they enter the body? How do we know they donít convert to fat?

Dirt
02-23-2005, 03:46 PM
I am no scientist either but it just seems to good to be true that you can use all these artificial sweeteners that taste almost as good as sugar with no consequence. Are there any studies that show what happens with these things once they enter the body? How do we know they donít convert to fat?

There are lots of articles that explain how they work. Google them.

AKraut
02-23-2005, 05:05 PM
I've read it depends on the person, sweeteners kick some people out and other people aren't effected by it.