PDA

View Full Version : It is impossible for me to gain weight.

intime
02-22-2005, 10:15 PM
I am 19, and for 3 years now I have stayed the same. 6'1'', 145lbs. No matter how much or how little I eat, my weight NEVER changes. I've tried stuffing myself full at each meal, and nothing happens. I have even tried eating nothing but junk food, and I still don't gain weight. The thought of eating pure blubber has crossed my mind, but I know even that would do nothing. This friggin' sucks. :scratch: I tried working out to see if that would help me build muscle that would stay on me, but that made it even worse. I ended up being hungry ALL THE TIME and couldn't keep up with myself, and even lost a couple pounds. WTF am I doing wrong, or is it all the fault of my metabolism? :mad:

emjlr3
02-22-2005, 10:18 PM
lol i got 2 friends like that, u my friend are a victum of insane metabolism. i actually took like a montha and tried to make one of them fat....he gained like 5 lbs, eating like 4000 calroies a day at 160 lbs, 50% of which were fat, some ppl are just like that, only thing u can do is never ever stop eating, unless when ur lifting....have fun with that

SpecialK
02-22-2005, 10:22 PM
You probably aren't eating as much as you think you are. Post a typical day's diet here.

spencerjrus
02-22-2005, 10:26 PM
3800+ calories my brother. I also suffer from insanely high metabolism and all I can say is to eat as many calories as physically possible and don't shy away from the fat, while gains are slow there is the upside that all the muscle mass you put on is very lean and therefore you get to avoid the painful cutting process.

intime
02-22-2005, 10:35 PM
SpecialK: Trust me, I do eat as much as I think I do. My 275lb friend and I have the same appetite, and even he is confused! I guess I'll just have to do what spencerjrus said and eat anything within reach.

SpecialK
02-22-2005, 10:37 PM
SpecialK: Trust me, I do eat as much as I think I do. My 275lb friend and I have the same appetite, and even he is confused! I guess I'll just have to do what spencerjrus said and eat anything within reach.

Post your diet here, I want to see. People have said that exact same thing before and then once they posted it, other members added up the cals and it came out to like 2800 or something. I'm not saying you are eating 2800, but just post it so we have an idea. Trust me, if you eat enough, you will grow. I thought I was a "hardgainer" at first but later realized that at 5k cals/day, I actually start to gain a bit of fat :eek:

intime
02-22-2005, 10:47 PM
I don't have a diet, but here's what I had today:

(plenty of water to drink w/ everything)

breakfast: 5 bowls of shredded wheat, strawberry yogurt, blueberry bagel
lunch: 2 big beef burritos, 2 bananas
snack: 2 entire rolls of ritz crackers and an apple
dinner: 4 hot dogs and a bag of chips
dessert: a bowl of icecream

edit: even after all of that, I am going to get very hungry again around midnight. :(

Canadian Crippler
02-22-2005, 10:56 PM
I eat 5000 cals to gain weight, and that's not 5000 cals. If you can't eat more in whole foods, by a weightgainer and make some shakes. Record down your diet at www.fitday.com , and keep increasing calories until you put on some poundage.

Patz
02-22-2005, 10:58 PM

edit: even after all of that, I am going to get very hungry again around midnight. :(

It looks like you could adjust that a bit, and take in some quality calories. It really doens't look (i didnt add them up though) like you took in a ton of calories,a nd you need to do it in 5-6 meals a day. In your case I'd say to do it in 7-8 meals a day because of your metabolism. Don't ever let yourself feel hungry..that should be the key. Lift weights along with all this eating and beautiful muscle will sprout up..there will be no stopping it.

fen2zla
02-22-2005, 11:20 PM

Check out
what a bodybuilder eat's. (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=46565) You need to eat more quality food's. If your not gaining weight then just eat more.

gopher
02-22-2005, 11:25 PM

I mean this in only the most constructive way possible
Your diet sucks. If you ever manage to add any weight eating like that it will surely be body fat and not muscle mass.
Lunch is the only meal with a decent amount of quality protein in it.
Your snack has almost zero protein.
You should be getting in more than 4 meals a day.
If I were in your shoes I would add some protein to breakfast in the form of eggs or a protein powder. Replace that useless snack with a quality mass gainer shake or a high protein/calorie meal. Eat ground sirloin burgers or some other form or red meat instead of hot dogs. And finally add 2 more meals/shakes to your daily intake. If you are hungry at midnight have something ready to eat or drink so you can down it and get back to bed.

SpecialK
02-22-2005, 11:38 PM

well you weren't very specific with the portions and food, so it's hard to come up with a caloric estimate for that meal, but like he said, your diet is total crap. No wonder you can't gain if that's what a typical day's diet looks like. Increase the cals and read that sticky on what a bodybuilder eats to start figuring out your diet.

smalls
02-23-2005, 12:13 AM
I eat 5000 cals to gain weight, and that's not 5000 cals. If you can't eat more in whole foods, by a weightgainer and make some shakes. Record down your diet at www.fitday.com , and keep increasing calories until you put on some poundage.

Exactly, good advice.

HahnB
02-23-2005, 01:04 AM
You're basically getting no protein from lunch, until breakfast the next day. That's damn near 24 hours bro without some good protein. Hotdogs and ice cream isn't the protein you want.

Dirt
02-23-2005, 04:29 AM
Without reading this thread or even the first post I can say you fall into one of two categories:

1. hyperthyroid
2. not eating enough food

I'll randomly guess that your problem is #2.

Anthony
02-23-2005, 05:31 AM
I put your meals into fitday and it worked out to 3800 calories. That might seem like a lot to you, but it's pretty average to the rest of us. I actually eat more than that when I'm maintaining my weight. When I'm trying to gain weight, I'm in the 5500 calorie range, and sometimes bump it up to 6000. I know there are guys on this site who eat even more than that.

So the only advice I can give, and it's the best advice you'll get, is eat more. Pretty simple, eh?

spencerjrus
02-23-2005, 09:19 AM
I put your meals into fitday and it worked out to 3800 calories. That might seem like a lot to you, but it's pretty average to the rest of us. I actually eat more than that when I'm maintaining my weight. When I'm trying to gain weight, I'm in the 5500 calorie range, and sometimes bump it up to 6000. I know there are guys on this site who eat even more than that.

So the only advice I can give, and it's the best advice you'll get, is eat more. Pretty simple, eh?

when you're in the 5000-6000 calories a day range how much of that is liquid?

darius19
02-23-2005, 09:25 AM
You can always eat calorie rich foods such as peanut butter etc.
Also, id you drink milk the calories will add up pretty quickly as well.

Anthony
02-23-2005, 09:28 AM
when you're in the 5000-6000 calories a day range how much of that is liquid?

About 4L of milk a day.

spencerjrus
02-23-2005, 09:30 AM
About 4L of milk a day.

I would love to be able to drink that much, I'm at just under a gallon a day right now, (3L I think?) with all the other dairy in my diet im worried about moving it up anymore, but calories are hard to come by and milk is easy to drink and tastes good.

Guido
02-23-2005, 09:37 AM
Yep drinking lots of milk helps me, plus I have 2 protein shakes with milk per day. I've managed to gain 25 lbs in the past 4 months after not having gained any weight for 9 years. I've been getting roughly 4,000 cals plus per day. Sounds like your metabolism is so high you may need to start even higher.

nucular muscle
02-23-2005, 09:44 AM
im the same weight as you 145 but your taller but i also have a fast metabolisum to i suggest a shake 3 times a day with lots of calories (4000 per serving) i use mega mass 4000 but it is expencive if you take it 3 times a day but worth it i think

peace

nucular muscle

Anthony
02-23-2005, 09:53 AM
My staples are beef, potatoes, and milk. Everything else is bonus. :D

Chris Miller
02-23-2005, 11:17 AM
I always thought the same thing. I could always eat anything without gaining weight. Then when I turned 17 I got a good job and never had a chance to eat at home. I was eating fast food 3 meals a day for an estimated 5000 calories a day. I did this for 7 years straight with no excercise to speak of and I am now at 23% bf. In my opinion that is damn good and I obviously have a great metabolism. But my heart is paying the price with a whopping 327 cholesterol.

For us with high metabolism, it takes a lot more than just stuffing our faces 3 times a day. Try 5 times a day or so lol.

the one
02-23-2005, 11:35 AM
i would say if you have 23%bf then you prob dont have high metabolism anymore. maybe 7rs ago you did but not now

Chris Miller
02-23-2005, 12:01 PM
I only say I still have a high metabolism because I have friends that if they were to eat 5k calories a day for 7 years like I did with no excercise, they would be 500 lbs by now.

fen2zla
02-23-2005, 05:59 PM
i suggest a shake 3 times a day with lots of calories (4000 per serving) i use mega mass 4000 but it is expencive if you take it 3 times a day but worth it i think

You take in more than 12,000 calories a day?

Shao-LiN
02-23-2005, 10:04 PM
I always thought the same thing. I could always eat anything without gaining weight. Then when I turned 17 I got a good job and never had a chance to eat at home. I was eating fast food 3 meals a day for an estimated 5000 calories a day. I did this for 7 years straight with no excercise to speak of and I am now at 23% bf. In my opinion that is damn good and I obviously have a great metabolism. But my heart is paying the price with a whopping 327 cholesterol.

For us with high metabolism, it takes a lot more than just stuffing our faces 3 times a day. Try 5 times a day or so lol.

You no longer have a raging metabolism. I'm sure the no exercise at all helped that along, but at 23% bodyfat, I wouldn't be bragging much about a fast metabolsim =P.

Chris Miller
02-23-2005, 10:11 PM
I'm going to continue to brag :) The fact that I went 7 years with no excercise and a min of 5000 calories a day of straight fat and carbs tells me something. I still think if my metabolism wasnt good, I would be HUGE by now.

Hopefully I am right anyway. I will see how my first ever cut goes. :)

HahnB
02-23-2005, 11:17 PM
i suggest a shake 3 times a day with lots of calories (4000 per serving)

I suggest not doing what he suggested.

Vampiro
02-24-2005, 08:52 AM
:withstupi Your metabolism aint great with 23% bf, if it was 15 i would give you some credit. Weight is a stupid number, bf, and overall health is whats important. I'd rather be 200 lbs with 5 % bf ( The dream of many) then 150 with 25 % bf. Also, eat aleast 6 meals, not 3 big ones, your insulin levels will be better balenced. If i was you and had such high cholestral i would wry about diabetes as well since you been living off fast food for 5 yrs.

spencerjrus
02-24-2005, 11:27 AM
im the same weight as you 145 but your taller but i also have a fast metabolisum to i suggest a shake 3 times a day with lots of calories (4000 per serving) i use mega mass 4000 but it is expencive if you take it 3 times a day but worth it i think

peace

nucular muscle

so 12,000+ calories a day, is this for a horse or a human?

nucular muscle
02-24-2005, 12:24 PM
so 12,000+ calories a day, is this for a horse or a human?

lol eat like a horse yes and thats just the shakes not food

Max-Mex
02-24-2005, 01:20 PM
About 4L of milk a day.

:thumbup:

fen2zla
02-24-2005, 05:18 PM

So how many calories would you get from a typical days diet? Around the 15,000 mark?

How's the weight gain going? You will be 300lbs in no time, at 56% bodyfat ;)

[[[----]]]
02-24-2005, 05:22 PM
Yeah man, youre crazy. Thats not even close to a lot of food.

spencerjrus
02-24-2005, 05:28 PM

you're joking right?

jcny19x
02-26-2005, 11:13 AM
you're joking right?

I gotta question for all u heavy eaters (> 5k calories), HOW do you keep your stomach from not looking like you are pregnant??? I can't seem to do it....I walk around all day looking like I'm gonna have a baby, and when I sit down, it feels so damn uncomfortable because my stomach is so far out that I feel like I'm gonna sh*t everything out b/c of the pressure. Does your stomach return to normal afterwards or does it stay stretched like this, b/c I dont want a stomach like this for the rest of my life.... :drooling:

Shao-LiN
02-26-2005, 11:52 AM

Good luck with that.

Shao-LiN
02-26-2005, 11:54 AM
I only say I still have a high metabolism because I have friends that if they were to eat 5k calories a day for 7 years like I did with no excercise, they would be 500 lbs by now.

Probably. What possessed you to do that for 7 years?

spencerjrus
02-26-2005, 12:38 PM
Good luck with that.

im sorry this cracked me up, the idea of someone eating more than 12,000 calories a day is absolutely ludicrous.

PowerManDL
02-26-2005, 12:57 PM
heh....if anybody's brave enough, give this a try...you'll gain weight one way or another:

1 - 1 serving ProComplex, 2 cups milk, 4 tbsp olive oil, 2 tbsp coconut oil, 4oz heavy cream

2 - 1 serving ProComplex, 2 cups milk, 1 potato

3 - 2 cans tuna/chicken/turkey, 1 potato

4 - 16oz beef, 2 cups milk

5 - 2 cups milk, 1.5 scoops Optimum, 4oz heavy cream, 2 tbsp PB, 2 tbsp coconut oil

6 - 2 dbl cheeseburgers

7 - 4 eggs, 8 oz chorizo (can substitute another type of sausage here)

8 - 1.5 scoops Optimum, 2 tbsp PB, 1 cup cottage cheese, 12 oz water

I'm using ON's ProComplex here, but you can sub in another protein blend; one serving works out to around 55g of protein.

All in all, this comes out like so:

P - 630g 31%/C - 241g 12%/F - 516g 57%
8130 kcal

smalls
02-26-2005, 01:25 PM
I gotta question for all u heavy eaters (> 5k calories), HOW do you keep your stomach from not looking like you are pregnant??? I can't seem to do it....I walk around all day looking like I'm gonna have a baby, and when I sit down, it feels so damn uncomfortable because my stomach is so far out that I feel like I'm gonna sh*t everything out b/c of the pressure. Does your stomach return to normal afterwards or does it stay stretched like this, b/c I dont want a stomach like this for the rest of my life.... :drooling:

Mine goes back to normal within a week of dropping cals below maintenance. It's just part of the sacrafice while you bulk.

Chris Miller
02-26-2005, 04:35 PM
Probably. What possessed you to do that for 7 years?

Well what started it was a new job that kept me away from home 12+ hours a day and I never bothered to pack meals to take with me so I always ended up eating fast food.

Believe me, it's not something I am proud of, and in fact I never plan to eat fast food like that again. Even if I do decide to have 1 fast food meal a week or something it will make me sick to even think about how much it's screwing me up.

I think the wakeup call was when the doctor called and said I needed to get in there asap to start treatment for high cholesterol. It's a shame.

Vido
02-26-2005, 07:55 PM
P - 630g 31%/C - 241g 12%/F - 516g 57%
8130 kcal

I'm not knocking it, just wondering what YOUR reason is for the fairly low carbs and TONS of fat? Do you find that works best for you? I've heard of others recommending that as well, but it's not common on this board at all.

jcny19x
02-27-2005, 09:27 AM
Mine goes back to normal within a week of dropping cals below maintenance. It's just part of the sacrafice while you bulk.

thats awesome news, thanks

PowerManDL
02-27-2005, 01:48 PM
I'm not knocking it, just wondering what YOUR reason is for the fairly low carbs and TONS of fat? Do you find that works best for you? I've heard of others recommending that as well, but it's not common on this board at all.

Main reason is that fat is calorically dense so it's a lot easier to get all the calories in. It also makes it easier to get the protein. Trying to eat even in the 5000-6000 cal range with higher carb diets, and getting all the protein in, just doesn't agree with my stomach and appetite. By adding the high-calorie liquid fat sources, it makes it much easier to get everything for the day.

Anecdotally it also helps in keeping somewhat lean; now I do realize that on 8000+ calories staying "lean" is really a moot point, but for me it'd just end up being more practical so why not?

Isaac Wilkins
03-01-2005, 01:38 PM
With my slow-ass metabolism I'd end up blowing up on that kind of diet, but I bet it'd be less than an equal amount of calories in a higher carbohydrate diet.

Call it insulin resistance or whatever, but I find that I function better on lower carbs (100-200g/day).

I agree in that fat is the most calorically dense and the easiest to pound down.

If you're a natural fatty (like me), then cut this diet in half, keep the carbs at 150-200g, and you've got a good bulker.