PDA

View Full Version : maintenance calories = plateau?

gary
02-21-2001, 08:12 PM
If my caloric intake is around weight maintenance level, no cardio only weight training, would I reach plateau of fitness? Or would it mean gaining muscle and losing fat together, at a slower pace?

How many calories above maintenance level should be bumped while bulking?

Joe Black
02-22-2001, 03:28 AM
If you are not gaining weight and feel tired after workuots then yes I think upping the calories would help..

Most people shoot for at least 500 + when "bulking"

Anthony
02-22-2001, 09:32 AM
You may lose some fat and build muscle ... maybe ... but you won't gain any weight if you are only eating your maintenance calories.

Hulk is right, start with 500, give it a couple of weeks and see what your progress is. Adjust from there.

gary
02-26-2001, 06:24 PM
No wonder Sinep got flabby during so called bulking phase. Did you guys ask him to take 500+ calories above maintenance everyday?

http://www.mikementzer.com/hd2chap6.html

"There's a little more than 600 calories in a pound of muscle. If you are stimulating three pounds of muscle growth a week, you will require 600 X 3, or 1800 calories per week above maintenance. That translates to 257 calories per day above maintenance"

Thats when the figures are THREE lbs per week.

mesmall
02-26-2001, 09:33 PM
gary, good article but is mike saying you can gain 3 pounds of muscle a week following that plan or is he just saying only take 300 a day because the rest will definately be fat?