PDA

View Full Version : Fats

darius19
02-23-2005, 06:23 AM
I thought about it last night, and realized I dont get even NEAR enough fats that I should. Is this a huge problem? I mean I eat a lot, I just dont eat fatty foods. I would estimate that I only get 50% of what I need to get for fats.

Now, I know PB (I eat a lot of that), Olive Oil and Fax Oil all count as good fats, but what can you use these in? Should I put oil in my pasta or something? I dont eat meat, and I eat fish max 2 times a week (not counting tuna). Therefore, should I just eat it raw? Also, is this a huge problem?

Thanks.

waynis
02-23-2005, 10:51 AM
put olive oil in anything. ON veggies, rice, pasta, whatever. Cook with it also. Flax you can just tablespoon it or put it in cereal or oatmeal. Don't forget real mayonaise. Most of it is made up of un-saturated fats. Use mayo with a turkey or tuna sandwhich. Another way to get fat is eating whole eggs. Eat a couple whole eggs a day.

darius19
02-23-2005, 10:54 AM
Yeah I eat a lot of PB and eggs. So can I put olive oil in oatmeal or would it be gross?
Also, does olive oil change when you cook with it or not?

waynis
02-23-2005, 10:58 AM
Yeah I eat a lot of PB and eggs. So can I put olive oil in oatmeal or would it be gross?
Also, does olive oil change when you cook with it or not?

I wouldn't put olive oil in oatmeal haha. Flax would be better. Olive oil withstands high temperature and does not become toxic when cooked with . It's the best to cook with. If your gonna use canola use it at room temperature. There's some debating about canola oil becoming toxic when cooked with. Don't know how much is true but if you wanna play it safe just use olive oil.

TheGimp
02-23-2005, 12:49 PM
Cooking with olive oil is fine, but do NOT cook with flax oil. It's very sensitive to heat, air and light and should be stored in the fridge.

darius19
02-23-2005, 02:49 PM
So why isnt it stored in the fridge at stores such as GNC?

Anthony
02-23-2005, 03:18 PM
You can pour olive oil on anything, pasta, rice, potatoes, salad, etc. Peanut butter is easy. Get a spoon and dig in.

If it's pourable flax seed oil, it should be in the fridge. Maybe you're referring to the caps? I'm not sure if those need to be in the fridge.

darius19
02-23-2005, 03:43 PM
No thats the thing...the pourable stuff is right in the open on the shelf. Not only at GNC, but Wal-mart etc as well. Should I get it anyway or is it somehow ruined?

Anthony
02-23-2005, 03:48 PM
Maybe it's "refridgerate after opening" ...

TheGimp
02-23-2005, 05:48 PM
Yeah, that's what I meant :)

darius19
02-23-2005, 05:49 PM
Ahh ok thanks guys. That clears up a lot some things :)