PDA

View Full Version : BMR Calculator

darius19
02-23-2005, 07:59 AM
My calculated BMR (including exercise etc.) is about 3000 - 3200 calories a day. My question is:
How many additional calories should I eat in order to gain muscle. Right now I eat about 3350, and 180g of protein. Is this enough or is more needed?

AdmiralDan
02-23-2005, 09:23 AM
you should gain with that but it will be slow. you can add more if you want, but the more calories you add, the more fat you will put on along with the muscle

Shao-LiN
02-23-2005, 11:10 PM
My calculated BMR (including exercise etc.) is about 3000 - 3200 calories a day. My question is:
How many additional calories should I eat in order to gain muscle. Right now I eat about 3350, and 180g of protein. Is this enough or is more needed?

You tell us. There is no calculator that can tell us how you specifically will react. These calculators and formulas that are presented are merely guidelines you can use as a starting point. How many calories should you eat to gain? As much as is necessary. Eat at your "estimated" BMR (all these calculators do is estimate) and if you are not gaining any weight after 2 weeks or so, increase calories. Keep doing this until you are gaining weight at a comfortable rate. Most would suggest 1 pound per week to hopefully ensure that you are gaining quality weight.

Same goes for cutting. Slowly reduce calories down to maintenance, then reduce calories further until you are losing weight at a comfortable rate. We're all different, so the calculator will not apply to everyone.

darius19
02-24-2005, 07:23 AM
Alright good point, thanks.