PDA

View Full Version : How much vitamins is too much?

Chris Miller
02-23-2005, 10:34 AM
I am taking a mega vitamin and it has 200% DV for most major vitamins, and upwards of 3000% for some others. I've noticed that since taking these my urine is bright yellow and smells kind of like vitamins.

So my question is, how much of this stuff is my body using and am I passing a lot of it straight through to my urine? Can any problems arise from too many vitamins? (Ie kidney stones, or other stones)

Thanks in advance

waynis
02-23-2005, 10:45 AM
Depends on what vitamin it is. Some vitamins are toxic in high amounts. Other vitamins your body will only be able to use a certain amount and any extra will be excreted threw urine. Too much calcium could lead some people to kidney stones. Just keep drinking lots of water so anything that's not being used gets flushed out. 1 mega vitamin a day should not do you any harm. The florescent urine is common. Don't be scared.

wrestlemaniac
02-23-2005, 06:55 PM
Most vitamins you have to eat insane amounts for lengthy peroids of time before anything bad happens. A quick search on Google should help you out on things like RDA and which vitamins can be toxic in high doses (theres really only a few and some are only toxic to babys).

CarlP
02-23-2005, 09:18 PM
The ones that are toxic in high doses are fat soluble. The water soluble ones just get flushed out. Just drink lots of water, it's good for you whether you take vitamins or not.

Chris Miller
02-23-2005, 10:12 PM
Sounds good. Thanks for the replies everyone.

CarlP
02-24-2005, 12:59 PM
Are there any bad side effects to too much calcium or milk? I did a google search, and all the results were related to breast milk and newborns.