PDA

View Full Version : What's a girl to do??

Punky
02-25-2005, 08:02 PM
Someone help me out....

....I would love to lose some body fat for an upcoming wedding in 12 weeks. I'd say if I lost 10-15 lbs of scale weight that would be ideal and put me at a weight I was happy with a few years ago.

Major obstacle...I cant do high impact cardio at all or heart pumping strength exercises like squats or lunges b/c of a knee injury. To give you an idea...I did 16 jumping jacks yesterday and had to take Tylenol at night just to sleep b/c my knee freakn' hurt.

I'm 5'1".....have calculated my RMR before using light to mod activity as my activity factor and got ~1400 cals. I tend to be hungry all the damn time eating 1200 cals.

SOOOO.......any great ideas from you beefcakes????

Gracias!

P.S. I workout at home, have a recumbent bike, free weights, no access to a swimming pool.

jbarba
02-25-2005, 08:11 PM
buy rollerblades. They are easy on the knees. Also walking if you do enough of it will help.

fen2zla
02-25-2005, 08:14 PM
What's your diet like?

TTT
02-25-2005, 08:21 PM
^^I agree. Try eating lots more veggies, and a bit more fruit etc.

Punky
02-25-2005, 08:21 PM
Rollerblading is hard to do in the snow. I did try some indoor rollerblading....it's not easy on my knees.

Diet...on a good day it's good, on a bad day it's really ****ty, lol.

On good days, my staples are.....tuna, oats, protein shakes, apples, carrots, salad, chicken, steak, tomato soup, cottage cheese, nuts, Fiber One, broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, low carb wheat bagels, low fat cream cheese, coffee, low carb yogurt...i'm probably missing some things from my grocery list, cals ~1400-1500......then I get too damn hungry and I binge on crap with Lord knows how many cals.

So I'm afraid to eat too low, then binge b/c I'm too damn hungry.

jbarba
02-25-2005, 08:24 PM
you live in the snow? CROSSCOUNTRY SKI. It is the most badass cardio workout and it is a gentle gliding motion and easy on the knees. Also snowshoeing can be a workout. Now I have thrown out my best suggestions for you to be active so if you find a problem with these then you just dont want it enough. goodluck.

Punky
02-25-2005, 08:34 PM
Now don't accuse me of not wanting it enough, lol. I've done cross country skiing and again, not easy on MY knees! Cardio that makes me hobble around just isn't worth it, but thanks for the suggestions. I've thought of many of these on my own and my knee just isn't ready for them. I posted to see if there were any suggestions/ideas out there that I haven't thought of/tried b/c I'm pretty much at a loss. I do have an MRI scheduled so we'll see.

TheGimp
02-25-2005, 09:33 PM
Chop some firewood :)

JSully
02-25-2005, 10:39 PM
Hit a heavy bag (heavy)/speed bag. Superset it with some swissball crunches to work your abs at the same time.

I would say mountain biking but that'll prolly tax your knees as well. I'll try to think of some others while I'm out at the club.. :D

EDIT: Dance Dance revolution for PS2.. LOL...

fen2zla
02-25-2005, 11:11 PM
Rollerblading is hard to do in the snow. I did try some indoor rollerblading....it's not easy on my knees.

On good days, my staples are.....tuna, oats, protein shakes, apples, carrots, salad, chicken, steak, tomato soup, cottage cheese, nuts, Fiber One, broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, low carb wheat bagels, low fat cream cheese, coffee, low carb yogurt...i'm probably missing some things from my grocery list, cals ~1400-1500......then I get too damn hungry and I binge on crap with Lord knows how many cals.

Do you know how many calorie's you need to maintain your current bodyweight?

smalls
02-26-2005, 12:29 AM

It's gonna come down to diet, not a specific physical activity. Keep lifting and doing anytype of cardio you are able to. Increase protein and healthy fats and decrease everything else. If your afraid of binging, find foods that keep you fuller longer, EFA's protein, and fiber work very well for most people. Caffiene kills my hunger, so that helps also. You have 12 weeks so you dont have to get crazy with the diet just yet, but as you continue on your gonna want to get more and more strict to acheive your goals.

gopher
02-26-2005, 12:33 AM
P.S. I workout at home, have a recumbent bike, free weights,
Ride your recumbent bike, hit the free weights and clean up your diet. You have 12 weeks to lose 10-15 lbs. Keep that goal in mind every time you are tempted to eat junk and just don't do it.
A clean diet, cardio, and weight lifting should easily get you to your goal.

Miss Rezza
02-26-2005, 04:50 AM
Ride your recumbent bike

:withstupi

maybe some interval training on your bike..... if it's not too taxing on your knees.

You poor luv, i can't even imagine how frustrating this must be for you.

Oh and to avoid binges, don't completely cut out the food you enjoy (ie. junk!) If you're having a craving and you decide to have, say, a piece of chocolate, eat it, enjoy it, move on. If you dwell on it and beat yourself up about it, you're more likely to write the day off and binge. The way i see it is that a 200-300cal chocolate bar would be a lot better for your figure than a 1000cal+ binge. Of course you should try to eat as clean as you can, but little "treats" along the way aren't gonna hinder your progress.

.... just a few hints that i've found quite useful anyway.

Best of luck :)

accuFLEX
02-26-2005, 06:17 AM
have your tried rowing or swimming?

Punky
02-26-2005, 09:59 AM
From trial and error my weight tends to start creeping back up at about 1700-1800 cals per day, of course that depends a bit upon how much cardio I'm doing.

Maybe I'll skip the heavy bag and just kidnap some annoying clients at work and work them over a little.

Rezza...nice perspective as far as the candy bar goes.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Progress
02-26-2005, 11:22 AM
Swim laps in a pool.

waynis
02-28-2005, 09:35 AM
eliptical.. there's not much impact on the knees.

PowerManDL
02-28-2005, 02:45 PM
pfff you ignore everything I've been telling you!

Rik-s
02-28-2005, 03:42 PM
Dig a 1m(3ftish) square hole fast as possible, backfill it and repeat another 4 times :D

Punky
02-28-2005, 05:19 PM
Matt....what have you been telling me.....woe is me girl stories and the occasional plea to buy an ADT t-shirt??

:P

I heard the elliptical was easy on the knees, unfortunately I dont have one, nor do I have a pool either unfortunately.

chops
02-28-2005, 06:12 PM
hiya punky,
is there a reason why you don't join a gym so you have more options?

i totally agree with allowing yourself little treats here and there. been there and binged before, so a having a little here and there does go a long way in preserving sanity about the diet. have you tried cycling your calories?

PowerManDL
02-28-2005, 07:39 PM
She won't join a gym because she likes making us think of ways to accomodate her laziness.

betastas
02-28-2005, 08:19 PM
I would suggest finding a public pool to swim in. I was a lifeguard for two years, and we ran many classes where seniors would come in and exercise. Many would swim laps, do watercise, etc. I know many of them had arthritis and joint problems, but found swimming very easy to do.

ozzyman
02-28-2005, 10:01 PM
do you have access to those eleptical(sp?) runners.... feet never leave the ground!

fen2zla
02-28-2005, 10:18 PM
PowerMan will give you a workout that's easy on your knee's...... ;)

Seriously, it's more about diet than cardio. Get your diet in order first.

JennFank
03-02-2005, 09:43 AM
Hey Punky,
I'm new here and I need to lose 60 pounds before i get married also. Instead I have been going to the gym and working out 4-5 times a week. I have also been following my usual routine and I have a normal sleep schedule and I am keeping hydrated, but I am still feeling down and my energy levels have been really low lately and I don't know what to do.

I've gotten a few suggestions from a few of my friends and they said to drink more water, mix up my workout routine, or try xenadrine nrg which seems tempting to try because it has worked for them.

What do you think about these options?
Does anyone else have any suggestions?
I have a pack of xenadrine nrg that I am going to try I think.
:help:

Jabberwocky
03-02-2005, 10:17 AM
I would hold off on the xenadrine, and any thermogenic for that matter until you find yourself stuck with your weight loss. If you are just now starting with your diet and exercise the weight should come off fairly well without the use of said supplements.

JSully
03-02-2005, 06:47 PM
Maybe I'll skip the heavy bag and just kidnap some annoying clients at work and work them over a little.
:nod:

Sounds good to me! How about biking like a biker.... ie Lance Armstrong type biking. Should be easy on the knees seeing how its flat road you'd be on unlike mountain biking. I dunno... the heavy bag is my other suggestion.

icanrace
03-05-2005, 09:53 AM
Chop some firewood :)

ROFLMAO
:strong:

edit: I'm sorry man, but that is freakin funny

TheGimp
03-05-2005, 02:20 PM
It was a serious suggestion for a good workout that's easy on the knees :)

Built
03-05-2005, 02:32 PM
Do you know WHAT you're eating now? Ie grams of protein, carbs, fat?

Go to www.fitday.com and enter a few days worth of food.

It's going to come down to diet. You can't expect cardio to make up for a ****ty diet. And you'll get more of a metabolic advantage from lifting than cardio.

A good rule of thumb for your macronutrients is to get in at least 1 gram of protein per pound desired bodyweight. I find fast carbs make me hungry, and I don't like my carbs up too high, so I keep 'em below my grams of protein (personal preference). Fats get added in as a caloric ballast, and for satiety. I get freaking HUNGRY if my fats drop below 30-40% of my total cals.

Try to split your food into 5 or 6 mini-meals, each with a nice hit of protein.

As an example, of your target bodyweight is 120 lbs, try to get in 20+ g protein at each of your 6 meals. This looks like about a half cup of "protein" - ie, diced chicken breast, tuna, drained cottage cheese, eggs...

Add in veggies with each meal, and whatever else you need to make it into a meal, given your calorie needs for the day.

Avoid dropping your cals by much more than 15% below maintenance, and add in a "cheat" meal at least every two weeks. You may find a "cheat hour" once a week helpful. I plan mine after my heaviest workouts.

NO cardio before weights - ALWAYS after. And try to focus your carb consumption around your weights - just before and just after. Begin and end your day with protein and fat and you'll feel less hungry.

How's that sound?

JennFank
03-17-2005, 09:13 AM
Hey,
Thanks so much for your help and your advice. I am eating pretty healthy. You know I cheat everyone once in a while to give myself a treat but other then that I do eat healthy. I will def. take what you said about cardio not making up for a fatty diet into consideration. I guess I am just desperate to lose the weight and want it to come off as soon as possible and I am not being very patient. Thanks for everything and I'll keep everyone updated on how much weight I have been losing and also which way I decide to go. Whether it be Xenadrine NRG or the traditional way of watching what I eat and working out.
Thanks for your help.

JennFank
04-11-2005, 10:49 AM
Hey everyone!
Hope all is doing well!! Anyways, I decided to give the Xenadrine NRG a try. I started it on March 20 and I have lost about 12 pounds already. This stuff is amazing. It gives me plenty of energy to work out, go to the gym and do other fun and healthy activities such as roller blading and such. At this rate it gives me plenty of faith that I will lose all the weight that I want!!