PDA

View Full Version : Flaxseed Oil

darius19
02-26-2005, 08:10 AM
Ok, I would like to get something cleared up here. First of all, am I correct in thinking that Monosaturated Fats are the healthy fats (these are the fats in Olive Oil). If so, how can Flaxeed Oil be healthy if it has 5x more Polysaturated Fats then Monosaturated per serving?

ryuage
02-26-2005, 08:26 AM
uhm.... poly and mono UNsaturated fats are not that fats you have to worry about, it is the saturated fats which arent that good for you in large quantities.

darius19
02-26-2005, 08:32 AM
Yes but dont Monosaturated Fats remove cholesterol while Polysaturated Fats add cholesterol. Not only that, if what you say is true then how are other Oils such as vegetable bad in that case?

TheGimp
02-26-2005, 08:37 AM
Not only that, if what you say is true then how are other Oils such as vegetable bad in that case?

I think polyunsaturated fats can be subdivided into omega-3, 6 and 9 (any others?). It is the ratio of 3:6 that is important, with most people getting far too much omega-6 and not enough omega-3. Flax is high in omega-3, other vegetable oils are mainly omega-6.

Shao-LiN
02-26-2005, 10:43 AM
Yes but dont Monosaturated Fats remove cholesterol while Polysaturated Fats add cholesterol. Not only that, if what you say is true then how are other Oils such as vegetable bad in that case?

First of all, it is monounsaturated and polyunsaturated, not monosaturated and polysaturated. Unsaturated fats are good for you and should make up the majority of your fat intake. Saturated fat isn't so bad, but shouldn't be consumed in large quantities. What you really need to look out for is trans fats and hydrogenated oils.

matrix5089
03-01-2005, 05:12 PM
how do you know if a oil is hydrogenated?

reesee
03-01-2005, 06:30 PM
I just got flaxseed oil and for two days have been adding it to my shake (milk and whey). This is the most disgusting thing I've ever tasted. I'm taking it straight from now on.

betastas
03-01-2005, 08:21 PM
how do you know if a oil is hydrogenated?

I believe a manufacturer is required to print it in the ingredients. It will usually say "Hydrogenated (name) Oil" or "Partially Hydrogenated (name) Oil".
Sometimes they say "Modified Oil Ingedrients". Basically, if there is any sort of "non-normal" oil, chances are it's unhealthy.

dw06wu
03-01-2005, 10:02 PM
I believe a manufacturer is required to print it in the ingredients. It will usually say "Hydrogenated (name) Oil" or "Partially Hydrogenated (name) Oil".
Sometimes they say "Modified Oil Ingedrients". Basically, if there is any sort of "non-normal" oil, chances are it's unhealthy.
Sometimes they also use the word "shortening" instead of those others. Stay the hell away from this stuff, it is really bad for you.

TylerDurden
03-03-2005, 10:49 AM
I think polyunsaturated fats can be subdivided into omega-3, 6 and 9 (any others?). It is the ratio of 3:6 that is important, with most people getting far too much omega-6 and not enough omega-3. Flax is high in omega-3, other vegetable oils are mainly omega-6.[QUOTE]

This is correct!! listen to him.... The ratio is important in prostaglandin synthisis. Increased omega 6 leads to a poorer prostoglandin which is pro-inflammitory.

ReelBigFish
03-03-2005, 11:11 AM
Sometimes they also use the word "shortening" instead of those others. Stay the hell away from this stuff, it is really bad for you.
so i should stop adding this to my shakes? LOL j/k