PDA

View Full Version : can't eat at my work

toughguywannabe
02-26-2005, 09:23 PM
I have this job that is really pissing me off i go with 5 hours without taking a break b/c im always so busy.. i need to go on break to eat something so i can gain all the mass i lost while i was sick.. i go through a 9 hour shift and get 1 one hour lunch 5 hours into my shift which is really long.. i tried a search on this topic and couldn't find anything right now i feel like sh1t b/c im so small and i was pretty big and what not..

Pitfan04
02-26-2005, 09:35 PM
If it is your boss saying you cannot have a break, I think for every 4 hours you work, you get a 10 minute break. I think that is the rules. If at all possible just fix you a few PB sandwiches and eat them every couple of hours or something. Or just always have a bucket of peanuts next to you.

MrWebb78
02-26-2005, 10:28 PM
some sort of trail mix with nuts is always a handy snack if you cant eat a lot. but is there some reason you cant eat while you work? have a sammich or two, a premade protein shake?

ReelBigFish
02-27-2005, 12:45 AM
Get a new job.

Vitalize
02-27-2005, 01:26 AM
:withstupi
Your boss sounds like an ******* to me.
Quit and get a new job...I wouldn't stick around in a job that wont let me eat for my bodybuilding. Cant you explain the importance if it to him/her?
I mean as long as your work gets finished on time....I mean whats his friggin problem (although you havent told us what you do?)
Just tell him you are less productive unless you consume food every 2-3 hours...or something??
Or is it possible to break up the one hour lunch break into 3 15 min segments?
Sorry..just lettin off steam...reminds me of my old boss (note: I said OLD boss)
:whip: :whip:

Shao-LiN
02-27-2005, 06:11 AM
In the U.S., or at least in California, it is law that you get a 10-15 minute break for every 4 hours that you work.

J450n
02-27-2005, 06:47 AM
Take some protein bars with you.

Asylum
02-27-2005, 07:06 AM
What kind of job do you do that you can't have a sandwich in one hand and type or talk on the phone with the other?

darius19
02-27-2005, 07:48 AM
Are you a waiter or something?

dissipate
02-27-2005, 09:18 AM
can you have something in liquid form? a shake?

ReelBigFish
02-27-2005, 10:08 AM
According to your info you're in Texas right? I have a chart at my work that shows every states laws on breaks, I'll look at it and see what it says for you. But either way thats still messed up that you cant get a break.

waynis
02-27-2005, 11:05 AM
at my old work we had a 15 minute break in the morning, then 1 hour lunch, then another 15 minute break in the after noon. That was law in a 8 hour day.

smalls
02-27-2005, 11:17 AM
Just eat at your desk, dont need a break to eat right?

BFG123
02-27-2005, 11:23 AM
My wife HAD a simular problem the company policy was no drinking water or any other liquids while working in there checkstand. She went to her doctor and explained the situation, he gave her a doctors excuse. Of course management didn't like it but they had to let here do it. See you doc...........

toughguywannabe
02-27-2005, 03:33 PM
well im a meat cutter.. making crappy pay.. usually i do get a break at least every 4 hours but recently we've been so busy to where i can only get a lunch 6 hours into my job.. i just eat a huge monster breakfast before i go to work and then eat a crap load for my lunch. I think protein bars are a rip off u can get the same thing from much cheaper sources.. but the trail mix thing sounds like a good idea i might carry one of those in my pocket as im working.. the reason why im staying at this job is b/c im almost a journey man butcher which is basically a really experienced meat cutter and they get paid 13/hour and that's damn good for just a college student..

ryuage
02-27-2005, 04:03 PM
i just got a box of detour bars for 12 bucks.... i wouldnt call that a rip off.

spencerjrus
02-27-2005, 04:08 PM
well im a meat cutter.. making crappy pay.. usually i do get a break at least every 4 hours but recently we've been so busy to where i can only get a lunch 6 hours into my job.. i just eat a huge monster breakfast before i go to work and then eat a crap load for my lunch. I think protein bars are a rip off u can get the same thing from much cheaper sources.. but the trail mix thing sounds like a good idea i might carry one of those in my pocket as im working.. the reason why im staying at this job is b/c im almost a journey man butcher which is basically a really experienced meat cutter and they get paid 13/hour and that's damn good for just a college student..

go and explain to your boss that while you understand how busy it is and you don't want to make a big deal out of breaks, you are required to be allowed to take a break every 4 hours, let him know that you just want enough time to be able to eat a snack for the purpose of your diet and make it clear you're not trying to be lazy or work the system. explain your position reasonably and make it clear what you want and im sure you will be able to take your breaks when needed.

ryuage
02-27-2005, 04:09 PM
tell your boss you're diabetic and have to eat every so often to keep your blood sugar stable.

Ares
02-27-2005, 05:38 PM
Just wander off and take your break.

Shao-LiN
02-27-2005, 05:42 PM

Just have a shaker around you with a form of MRP if you dislike protein bar supplements. The laboratory I work at has me workin' pretty hard, but I just leave the lab and walk to the kitchen, take a quick drink, then head back in and continue my work. Granted, there aren't any people physically standing in line waiting for their orders, but you get the idea. I'd just talk to my boss about possible solutions to where you can walk away for a few minutes to take a quick snack.

manowar669
02-27-2005, 05:43 PM
at my old work we had a 15 minute break in the morning, then 1 hour lunch, then another 15 minute break in the after noon. That was law in a 8 hour day.

PA state law is minimum of one 15 minute break after every 5 hours worked. That means that in an 8 hour shift, employers are only required to give one 15 minute break. Most employers have their own policies and are more generous.

ryuage
02-27-2005, 05:51 PM
i get 2 hour lunch :p

Asylum
02-27-2005, 06:41 PM
Tell your boss if he doesn't want your crumbs to start winding up in the meat then he'd better let you take about 10 mins to scarf down some grub. But make sure you wash your hands first, please! Oh, do you get a discount on red meat? I bet you can get some sweet cuts to take home and grill up!

Vitalize
03-01-2005, 06:24 AM
Man oh man..Am I the only one to find it mildly humourous that he (bodybuilder) works with food(meat of all things), and yet is not allowed to eat at intervals....ho ho ho
Sorry.... long day today.