PDA

View Full Version : question on dynamic lifts

jazer80
02-28-2005, 01:34 PM
am i getting my benefit from speed work primarily from the pushing motion, or the positive and negative parts? i ask because i hurt my elbow wrestling saturday. i did speed bench last night, and it hurt if i brought the bar down really fast before exploding up, but i could handle bringing it down a little slower but still exploding just as fast on the positive (eccentric? ) part.

Paul Stagg
02-28-2005, 03:37 PM
IMO, the benefit is from the positive, not the negative.

Slow the negative down if you need to - and if your elbow still hurts in a week or so, see a doc.

jazer80
02-28-2005, 07:32 PM
thanks for the advice. i'll do that, hopefully it will get better soon. i'm taking 1500mg daily of glucosamine, same amount of msm, 8 pills of ETS, and about 6 fishbody oil pills. i'm also stretching it frequently

Isaac Wilkins
02-28-2005, 08:08 PM
am i getting my benefit from speed work primarily from the pushing motion, or the positive and negative parts? i ask because i hurt my elbow wrestling saturday. i did speed bench last night, and it hurt if i brought the bar down really fast before exploding up, but i could handle bringing it down a little slower but still exploding just as fast on the positive (eccentric? ) part.

The positive is the concentric part.

Like Paul said, the real benefit of speed work is teaching the explosion from the hole. There is something to the adage of "the faster it goes down, the faster it comes up" because of the stretch reflex. However, in your case you'll just hurt yourself. Control the eccentric and explode through the concentric.

jazer80
03-01-2005, 09:23 AM