PDA

View Full Version : jacko's first journal

jacko
02-28-2005, 02:11 PM
hello all, this is my first time posting on this site. I love readin everyones journals as they are really motivational, so i figured i would start one up and see how it goes.

I am 21 yrs old, 6'2 and currently weigh about 186 pnds.

i have been workin out religiously for about 4 years now, my main focus has been to stay lean, because i have been actively involved in triathlons, adventure races, road biking and running races.

But i'm bored of that, its time to get jacked :strong:

briancurran01
02-28-2005, 02:29 PM
Welcome to journal land.

Good luck with your goals

jacko
02-28-2005, 04:13 PM
thanks brian

Ok so this is the plan. About a week and a half ago I started my own version of the wanna be big routine # 1. I say my own version because i am not quite in the full on mindset needed to do a body building routine.

My workout yesterday went something like this:

10-20 min cardio warmup

3 sets of 8 at 80 lbs flat bench dumbell press
3 sets of 8 at 170 lbs on the lat pulldown
3 sets of 8 at 70 lbs incline dumbell press
3 sets of 8 at 160 lbs on the seated row(dunno if thats the right name)
3 sets of 8 at 60 lbs a side cable pulley pec fly's
3 sets of 10 dips(no weight yet because im not that strong lol)

i was feeling really crappy yesterday so i struggled with even this pitiful workout.

after the gym i came home and had a protein shake consisting of milk, 1scoop whey protein isolate, 1 scoop L-glutamine and 1 scoop magnesium creatine.

andy51
02-28-2005, 04:48 PM
Looks pretty good. What is your split going to look like?

jacko
02-28-2005, 07:37 PM
whats a split?(yes i know i must sound like such a newb)

andy51
02-28-2005, 08:21 PM
How are you going to break up your workout
Ex.
Mon-Chest
Tues-Legs
Wed-Back/Bi

etc

Manveet
02-28-2005, 08:28 PM
:spam:

Those pulldowns are looking impressive man.

I'll be keeping a close eye on this journal ;)

Oh, and don't bother with the isolate, just buy the cheap ****. Honestly, there is NO difference, other than the amount of money you will be saving with the concentrate.:D

jacko
03-01-2005, 12:19 AM
my splits are gonna be as follows"

eg.
mon-chest and back
tues-legs
wed-bi's tri's and shoulders
thurs-cardio
fri-rest
sat-start again

or somethin along those lines, dont quite know yet, im open to suggestion

jacko
03-01-2005, 12:27 AM
haha thanks for spammin me manveet, and please do keep an eye on my journal, i will appreciate your input

And ya my lat pulldowns are doin pretty good, tho the last time i did them my form was a little off

anyways... today was a nice and relaxing day for me, i ate a fair amount of clean whole food and had good energy for my evening workout. i did 30 min of intense treadmill action because i was feelin in need of a run, and after that i had a great leg workout.

after the gym i had a protein shake, this time with fruit juice instead of milk and half a banana blended in it(im almost out of protein)- what is a good brand to get?

Patz
03-01-2005, 01:03 AM
Wal-mart sells "Body-Fortress, which I buy, and they also have some made by EAS. It's a cuple dollars more for the EAS, but it's probbly better. The body fortress is 30 scoops for 11.50 or so, provided that you're in America. It also has a decent taste.

Manveet
03-01-2005, 11:41 AM
haha thanks for spammin me manveet, and please do keep an eye on my journal, i will appreciate your input

And ya my lat pulldowns are doin pretty good, tho the last time i did them my form was a little off

anyways... today was a nice and relaxing day for me, i ate a fair amount of clean whole food and had good energy for my evening workout. i did 30 min of intense treadmill action because i was feelin in need of a run, and after that i had a great leg workout.

after the gym i had a protein shake, this time with fruit juice instead of milk and half a banana blended in it(im almost out of protein)- what is a good brand to get?

Cheapest powder you can find man. I buy Optimum Nutrition's powder, it's like $50 canadian for 5lbs. It's not the cheapest, but it's reasonably priced, tastes decent, and mixes well.

Oh, you might want to try doing legs before you hit up the cardio. This way you'll have more energy to hit legs with some decent "intensity". Some people avoid training legs and doing cardio in the same day, others like to train legs in the evening, and do cardio in the morning (or vice versa).

If you want more input on how you can split up your cardio and weightlifting workouts, you should check out aka23's journal. It's very long, but there is loads of information in there. Just sift through it when you have some time to kill.

jacko
03-01-2005, 03:50 PM
Cool thanks man, im gonna go buy some powder today. Ok ill try doin my legs first next time, its just that its hard gettin away from the endurance style of training. But im workin on it

Ok so i just did the first of my 2 arm/shoulder workouts today. I felt so great and was lifting with really good form

3x8 hammer curls at 45lbs a side
3x8 bent over row at 65lbs(the exercise where u put your hand and knee on a flat bench and pull the weight up?)
3x8 overhead dumbell press at 50lbs a side(by far my weakest workout)
3x8 bicep curls at 35lbs a side
3x8 tricep press down at 160lbs(the one with the flat bar on the cable pulley cage)

that was all i had time for, i just had about the 3rd from last scoop of powder in milk with lglutamine and creatine. I have eaten pretty clean today and im gonna make some chicken for lunch.
In about 4 1/2 hours im goin back with a buddy to do a heavy arm burner workout.

Manveet
03-01-2005, 07:56 PM
The bent over row, or single arm dumbell row, is an exercise that is used primarily for the back, although your "rear" delts are hit a little bit. I suggest replacing that exercise for something else, perhaps a lateral raise, or an "upright row".

Another thing I wanted to mention is that you have really good biceps, and you can probably get away with a little less work for them. This will give you some more time/space in your workout for your triceps, which are slightly lagging behind those massive biceps:D

jacko
03-01-2005, 11:50 PM
ok so i just got back from my evening workout, which went really well. I followed manveets advice and did lateral raises for my shoulders. i struggled with them and with my forward shoulder raises:
3x10 lateral raises at 20 lbs a side(ugh)
3x10 forward raises at 17.5lbs a side(ugh more)

i also followed manveets advice about working my triceps more than my biceps:
1x8 hammer curls at 45lbs a side 2x8 at 40lbs a side
3x8 tricep pressdowns on the cable pulley using the rope at 140lbs
3x8 tricep pressdowns with straight bar using the whole stack(dunno the weight)
3x8 overhead tricep press using the rope at 150lbs
3x8 bicep curls at 40lbs a side

after that i did a few more random stretch style exercises, then some forearm work, then i hit the hot tub and sauna

post workout intake:
1 scoop whey protein isolate, 1 scoop l-glutamine, 1 scoop magnesium creatine, half a banana blended with milk
1 grilled lamb patty
small bowl of greek salad
toasted tuna cheese and avocado sandwich on 2 peices of rye bread

Manveet
03-02-2005, 12:30 PM
Good stuff man. Just keep slowing adding those calories. Aim to gain roughly .5lbs a week .

jacko
03-03-2005, 12:30 PM
so i missed posting yesterday as i was out and about all day. i ate alot yesterday as i was so hungry all day but i kept the food nice and clean.

My workout consisted of a 30 min medium to high intensity run, a 20 min high intensity bike and some minor leg and ab work.

My day was mainly spent helping a buddy of mine move out, so that was basically many hours of grunt work.

jacko
03-04-2005, 12:24 PM
so yesterday i took a rest day, which really sucked because i was keen on hittin the gym. i was out and about all day so i didnt have time to go. I ate a hell of a lot though:

3 pieces of toast w/ peanut butter, honey and banana
1 bowl of mini wheats
1 bowl of yogurt
5 chicken strips
3 pieces of cheese bread
1 plate of fries
1 avacado and tuna sandwich

ugh, all that w/o workin out made me feel like crap this morning, so im off for the first of 2 chest and back workouts now.

got lazy and ended up at the mall and then partying

jacko
03-05-2005, 05:01 PM
march 5

20 min moderate intensity elliptical trainer warm-up

2x10 incline bench press at 175, 1x10 at 170, 1x10 at 165
1x8 lat pulldowns at 180, 1x10 at 170, 1x12 at 160
1x10 & 1x8 flat dumbell press at 75 a side, 2x10 at 70 a side
1x8 seated row at 180, 1x10 at 170, 1x12 at 160
3x8 overhead dumbell press at 50 a side
3x10 hammer curls at 40 a side
3x10 dips
3x10 tricep cable rope pressdowns at 140
3x10 bicep curls at 35 a side
3x10 lateral raises at 20 a side
3x10 cable fly's at 70 a side

1 1/2 cups milk, 1 scoop protein powder, 1 scoop lglutamine, 1 scoop magnesium creatine and half a banana

Manveet
03-05-2005, 05:16 PM
:strong:

jacko
03-07-2005, 06:45 PM
march 6

did 35 min high intensity on the elliptical trainer and a serious core workout

jacko
03-07-2005, 06:48 PM
march 7

had a seriously active day at work today, my whole body is quite sore.

i still managed to do an arm workout after work though, basically it was just a bunch of sets to failure

hammer curls
skull crushers
bicep curls
lateral raises
overhead tricep press
shrugs

all done with moderatly light weight, many sets

jacko
03-08-2005, 06:53 PM
march 8

had another seroiusly hard day at work, im worried because its the time of year that work is gonna be a crazy workout everyday and i wont be as motivated to hit up the gym. im gonna go do legs and abs tonight and hopefully get a good nights sleep tonight to prepare for my chest and back workout tomorrow.

Manveet
03-08-2005, 09:39 PM
march 8

had another seroiusly hard day at work, im worried because its the time of year that work is gonna be a crazy workout everyday and i wont be as motivated to hit up the gym. im gonna go do legs and abs tonight and hopefully get a good nights sleep tonight to prepare for my chest and back workout tomorrow.

With manual labour type jobs, you can always cut the volume of your workouts down if you feel like your absolutely dying. However, if you eat a lot and sleep a lot, you should be fine.