PDA

View Full Version : how long for cardio to burn fat

samiam5
02-28-2005, 06:04 PM
all guys here is a tough question for u. i recently started doing cardio after my workouts for 20 mins, and i go to gym 3 times a week. i usually burn 400 calories in 20 mins. now the thing i dont get is that to get big u need calories so what gives? i weigh 180 pounds right now btw.

SDhick
02-28-2005, 06:20 PM
UMMM you need to take in more calories than you burn too grow, you can go up or down but not both at the same time usally, either bulk or cut

emjlr3
03-01-2005, 11:59 AM
i jsut learned about this in bio, its called a runner wall, and is comes up after running about 20 miles, before that you are buring glucose through glycolosis-kreb's cycle-electron transport chain, but after about 20 miles the glucose gets used up and you start to burn the fat , gl with that

and if your trying to get big jsut do slwo cardio to give your heart the workout, you dont want to deplete yourself of any of those calories that your muscles can use

Isaac Wilkins
03-01-2005, 12:15 PM
i jsut learned about this in bio, its called a runner wall, and is comes up after running about 20 miles, before that you are buring glucose through glycolosis-kreb's cycle-electron transport chain, but after about 20 miles the glucose gets used up and you start to burn the fat , gl with that

Not quite. You're always burning both fat and carbohydrate for ATP. The percentage changes as intensity increases. At rest it's generally about 70% fat to 30% carbohydrate. As intensity increases it moves towards 90+% carbohydrate.

Most can store between 2000 and 2500 calories of muscle glycogen (carbohydrate). When that's depleted (or almost) is the "wall" you're referring to. It could take 20 miles or more or less depending on intensity.

Calorie depletion through cardio is more important than depleting one's stores. Very few people are fit enough or have enough time to actually deplete without dieting tricks.

Also, long before depletion is complete the body starts cannabalizing muscle tissue and using the amino acids to create glucose for gluconeogenesis so that blood sugar is kept somewhat stable and the brain is fed.

Progress
03-01-2005, 01:52 PM
Besides, how about HIIT? You typically don't run more than 4 miles doing that. I barely reach 3 and from what I've read, HIIT has more fat burn results than ET.