PDA

View Full Version : Benchpress: Driving and arching, yes or no?

AKraut
03-01-2005, 03:09 PM
I've read a lot of articles about bench form and powerlifting in general. I've recently started a 3-day routine that completely revolves around the Big 3 because I see this as the only way to efficiently train when I can only get to the gym 3 days on average. Any good bench article emphasises driving through your legs and distancing yourself from the bar rather than 'pushing it' per say. Last bench day I really kept this idea in my head about driving from the floor and I hit a new PR for 3 sets in a row! Driving through my legs causes a noticeable but not extreme arch in my lower back, and as the bar goes up my spine comes back down flat with the bench. At no point does my spine feel any stress and I don't notice any soreness even with bench day sandwiched between squat day and DL day. My goal isn't any kind of isolation just recruiting as many muscles as possible and doing whatever is standard for powerlifting. Thoughts/opinions are appreciated. I'm sorry if this is redundant but I searched already and I'm more interested in discussion.

drew
03-01-2005, 04:24 PM
YES!

Drive through the floor with your feet, arch your back, pull your shoulders together and you're benching. Just be careful not to pick your ass up from the bench.

vkefi
03-01-2005, 05:19 PM
In relation to your bum coming off the bench ...

What stresses are placed on which muslce/joint/tendon even ? and why is it bad ? lol sorry if the question is ******ed, but ive seen numerous vids online, and pics of quite loose form on the bench, in a 1RM situation, a full arch, from like the feet up happens, bum is fully off the bench.
Is this just helping with leverage ? :rolleyes:

Hopetobefit
03-01-2005, 05:56 PM
Okay don't quote me as I am not 100% sure, but I think that it is an imcorrent form when lifting your butt off the bench and in meets that lift won't count (at least in the high school lifting competitions I have competed in). So maybe someone else who knows more about it can tell you but I think thats why it is adviced not to do the lift in that manner.

emjlr3
03-01-2005, 06:05 PM
yes, ass on the bench and shoulders i think, or something like that

SW
03-01-2005, 06:27 PM
Never tried it.

Hopetobefit
03-01-2005, 06:37 PM
I have tried the arching but can't seem to get it right yet.. I believe it will help and I will see more impressive gains, but every time I try to arch my back correctly I hit a sticking point and can't get what I normally get. So I guess I just need to keep with it for awhile and when I get it down will do better.

Just like my powercleans. Today I did it by dropping under the bar a whole lot and front squating it up and it was way harder than the way I used to do it (wasn't the best of forms. The new way is good form).

jack_of_all
03-02-2005, 04:47 AM
lol, you are doing drop unders to improve your clean? once i have the safety of a power rack im in that same boat. i have a very hard time quickly squatting under like 145 lbs. maybe this is because i have no rack (and thus dont squat) of any fashion and even quit hack squatting until i get one, which should be a few weeks.

AKraut
03-02-2005, 04:47 PM
I did Clean and Jerks for only the second time today and I noticed I didn't need to drop under the bar very much to get the clean. I'm only doing my bodyweight right now (160). Watching some vids I've seen guys come all the way down to the floor and than front squat it up, I guess if I get into higher weights the clean might not be as easy, but any weight I'd be able to jerk would probably be a pretty easy clean.

jack_of_all
03-03-2005, 07:53 PM
wait, so if you dont HAVE to drop under its still proper form?? man, and ive been excepting lower 1rm on that for nothing. still i guess its for the best that i always drop under as it helps legs get used to it.

AKraut
03-04-2005, 08:04 AM
wait, so if you dont HAVE to drop under its still proper form?? man, and ive been excepting lower 1rm on that for nothing. still i guess its for the best that i always drop under as it helps legs get used to it.

By dropping under do you mean squatting down all the way when you bring the bar to your shoulders? The more C&J videos I watch the more I'm realizing that this is an important part of the movement that I've completely left out. I've put C&J on Bench day, which is just 48 hours after I squat so we'll see what kind of beating I take doing them the correct way.

bill
03-04-2005, 10:41 AM
If your bootey comes off the bench in a contest its a no go.

Brotherofiron
03-04-2005, 02:02 PM
By dropping under do you mean squatting down all the way when you bring the bar to your shoulders? The more C&J videos I watch the more I'm realizing that this is an important part of the movement that I've completely left out. I've put C&J on Bench day, which is just 48 hours after I squat so we'll see what kind of beating I take doing them the correct way.

youre talking like the is no difference between power cleans, and clean and jerks...they are two different excersizes...

jack_of_all
03-07-2005, 05:02 AM
what exactly is a power clean?

Brotherofiron
03-07-2005, 07:58 PM
what exactly is a power clean?

it is when you pull the weight from the floor to you chest

a clean and jerk is when you pull the weight from the floor to your chest, then press it above your head

jack_of_all
03-09-2005, 03:44 PM
i have always just called a 'power clean' a clean.

then both have the drop under?

AKraut
03-10-2005, 09:06 AM
youre talking like the is no difference between power cleans, and clean and jerks...they are two different excersizes...

I know the difference, I don't know what from my post implied that I didn't. I was only uncertain about whether dropping down and 'front-squatting' the bar up was a required part of the lift. As I've watched more videos, I'm assuming it would be required, but I wasn't sure if it goes up easier that way with the heavy weights I see in most videos.

This thread is so off-topic..lol

Isaac Wilkins
03-10-2005, 11:16 AM
A full clean involves the front squat. A power clean involves about a quarter squat.

In competition you're allowed to power clean it if you want to, but you simply won't be able to move enough weight to compete.

jack_of_all
03-10-2005, 02:51 PM
when he said the thing about not getting the diff i got confused too lol