PDA

View Full Version : Female newbie to PL, meet in Sept, how to train?

tholian8
03-01-2005, 05:58 PM
Hi there.

I've been lifting weights for many years, been interested in PL for a long time but only started PL-specific training in the fall of 2004.

I did the "powerlifting off-season program" from the exrx.net site, and at the end of that program I maxed out (raw) at: Bench 62.5 kg, Squat 88 kg, Sumo DL 105 kg.

Since then I have improved to Bench 64 kg, Squat 92.5 kg and decided to try conventional DL instead of Sumo as I think I may have better leverages for that style, so I don't know yet what my max is on conventional DL. I've just joined a pretty hardcore gym with loads of PL equipment (including the elusive reverse hyper bench), and the guys there are very supportive.

I'd like to drop one weight class before this comp, which means losing ~20 lbs, in the next 6 months. I would also like to get my lifts up as much as I can, obviously.

My weak points are:

Bench: 2 inches above chest to 5 in. above chest. If I can get it up to 5 in, it's a sure lockout.

Squat: Just out of the hole--I can explode out with a lot of force but either I'm not generating enough momentum or I have some muscle weakness a couple inches out of the hole--and generally to keep from leaning too far forward under a very heavy weight.

DL: I have just switched from sumo to conventional DL, because heavy sumos were killing my knees, and in any case I'm getting better bar speed on the conventional. So I'm not sure yet what my weak point is here. I'm certain I'll find out very quickly. :)

I've been doing Westside style training for a few weeks, and have been quite impressed by the method--I've already close-gripped BP and box-squatted my previous normal-grip and free-squat maxes.

So, I have this competition in early September. I have a couple of gaps where I won't be able to train during that time. Other than those gaps, I have access to a PL gym to do whatever I need to do (except chains and bands, which the owner does not go in for).

My question is, I guess, how do I prepare myself to lift as much as I can 6 months from now? I'll be 40 by the time of the comp, if it makes any difference (other than the division I lift in).

Paul Stagg
03-02-2005, 05:50 AM
I think if you like the WSB style of training, keep at it. You don't need chains or bands to do it.

Are you going to use a squat suit/bench shirt?

The cool thing about the Westside style is that if you are consistant, you don't really need to worry too much about peaking for a meet (at least not at first).

tholian8
03-02-2005, 02:49 PM
I do plan to use a shirt and a squat suit, but nothing for the DL except belt and wraps. Hopefully I can get some equipment in the States when I go at the end of the month--the prices in the UK are completely outrageous.

TheMachine
03-02-2005, 03:50 PM
What are your measurements? I have a small Fury that didn't fit my wife(she competes in the 165lb class), its brand new. If it would fit you I'll let you have it real cheap.

If you're going to compete in equipment, I strongly suggest you start doing partial movements or adding chains/bands to your lifting.

tholian8
03-02-2005, 04:44 PM
Hm...I outweigh your wife by a considerable amount...but nevertheless, I'll have some accurate measurements taken pretty soon. I have no idea how to do the chest measurement--under bust, I would think, just like a bra fitting? (Boobs are soft after all and they'll squish up in a bench shirt, but ribs are pretty firm.)

TheMachine
03-02-2005, 07:12 PM
Give me these two measurements:
Arm Circumference (Relaxed)
Shoulder Circumference

Unless you have really huge boobs (I just wanted to type that) they shouldn't matter for sizing on a bench shirt.