PDA

View Full Version : Ingesting cholesteral not increasing cholesteral levels in blood...

Canadian Crippler
03-02-2005, 07:59 PM
I read awhile back a thread which stated the ingestion of cholesteral (or atleast cholesteral from eggs) did NOT = an increase of cholesteral in blood. Well I'm looking for some articles and scientic evidence to prove this theory. Anyone got anything?

Stupendous
03-02-2005, 09:33 PM
I read awhile back a thread which stated the ingestion of cholesteral (or atleast cholesteral from eggs) did NOT = an increase of cholesteral in blood. Well I'm looking for some articles and scientic evidence to prove this theory. Anyone got anything?

Have you tried searching pubmed (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi)?

the one
03-03-2005, 08:26 AM
i know when i took my A & P classes i was tought that the only cholesterol you need to woryy about (other than genetic) was from sat fats. when you eat sat fat your body makes cholesterol to break it down.

TylerDurden
03-03-2005, 10:42 AM
depends.. Do you have high cholesterol?

Total cholesterol should be lest than 200,, LDL should be less than 130 and HDL should be greater than 45, triglycerides should be less than 150 if fasting for twelve hours. If you eat cholesterol your body will use it. You don't need pubmed to figure it out. Get a physiology book. true sat and trans fat increase LDL production and decrease HDL. LDL is bad cholesterol because it takes cholesterol from the liver and places in cells, if it is too high it starts to place it in the lumen of vessels leading to Arthroma's and athersclerosis. HDL does the opposite of LDL's,
New research shows those people that are at more risk have certain receptors on the cholesterol molecules called apolipoproteins. Apo proteins are genetically programmed but it seems to be affected by Mono and poly unsaturated fatty acids in a good way.

Other factors include excersize, niacin, diet, HDL's and total BMI. SO... If your worried about having high cholesterol go to your doc and get a lipid panel done- not that expensive, cheaper if you live in a state where chiropractors are allowed to take blood, they charge way less for the whole procedure. Then, i recommend you get some fish oils and flax seed. After 6months get it rechecked and if no change add niacin and work on decreasing your BMI by increase your lean muscle mass.

spanky33
03-09-2005, 09:44 PM
the general formula for change in blood cholesterol is:

change in blood cholesterol = 2 * saturated fat - polyunsaturated fat *1.5 root(cholesterol).

so the only real concern for changing blood cholesterol is saturated fat, not cholesterol itself.

in terms of research, they have shown that eating cholesterol does NOT increase blood cholesterol; HOWEVER, reducing ingested cholesterol WILL decrease your blood cholesterol.

so basically, if you have high cholesterol, u should avoid high saturated fats and high cholesterol foods. if you dont have high blood cholesterol, you should only avoid high saturated fat foods.

hope that made sense