PDA

View Full Version : Some Diet Questions - Need advice

Shark
03-03-2005, 12:54 PM
So here's the situation. I just started a cut 3 weeks ago and progress was going well. Now I am going in for surgery tomorrow morning on a torn lateral meniscus and per my doctors orders I will not be going to the gym for 1 month.

The problem is that I don't know how to eat for the next month. I would stick to my diet, but I am not going to be in the gym so I don't want to lose a lot of muscle. I thought about going low carb to up my protein so I can spare muscle loss for a month but again lack of activity can't be good. I thought about PSMF as a way to shed some serious fat but again the muscle loss of not lifting for a month comes into play.

So, what do you all think. I need a basic way to diet for 1 month with limited physical activity. I can make the diet on my own no problem, I just need some direction.

FenianIrish
03-03-2005, 01:25 PM
If your primary goal during the month is to not get fat, then I'd recommend low-carb. If you burn fat easily and just don't want to lose muscle - I'd pig out (to sustain what you've got), and then cut it out later.

Erin

TylerDurden
03-03-2005, 02:33 PM
The last thing you should do is eat low carb after a surgery. Surgery is very hard on the body even if it's minor. I recommend that you eat lots of fruits and veggies. After major trauma such as surgery, your body is going to automaticaly have an hypersensitivity response. Fruits and vegitables along with vit e is essential in ridding the body of of waste (dead cells, free radicals, and micro-infections). Green tea has also been shown to act like vitamin c in which it replenishes vitamin e after it transfers free radicals. Hope that helps..

Vido
03-03-2005, 02:46 PM
I wouldn't suggest cutting a) after something as stressful on the body as surgery and b) while not training for a month. My suggestion would be to eat at maintenance. 1-1.5g protein/lb bodyweight, 20-30% of calories from fat (probably on the higher end), and the rest carbs.

I disagree with TylerDurden. Sure, vitamins and minerals are important so eat your fruits and vegetables (and pop a multivitamin for good measure), but you really don't need very many carbs as you're not going to be doing anything active.

TylerDurden
03-03-2005, 03:01 PM
I guess i should clarify, The carbohydrates are just an added bonus for energy production to fuel the bodies repair mechanisms such as that in invasive surgery. Mainly, the fresh non-processed fruits and vegitables have many phytochemicals that are highly involved in the reparative process. Intead of trying to take in manufactured minerals/vitamins and then guzzling down manufactured processed protein powder, you can just eat a few things. Thus, your apetite is satisfied and the meals require no preperation. making it easy for you.

Vido
03-03-2005, 03:17 PM
I guess i should clarify, The carbohydrates are just an added bonus for energy production to fuel the bodies repair mechanisms such as that in invasive surgery. Mainly, the fresh non-processed fruits and vegitables have many phytochemicals that are highly involved in the reparative process. Intead of trying to take in manufactured minerals/vitamins and then guzzling down manufactured processed protein powder, you can just eat a few things. Thus, your apetite is satisfied and the meals require no preperation. making it easy for you.

Protein is what repairs thing in the body, not carbohydrates. The vitmains/minerals/phytochemicals found in fruits and vegetables certainly aid in the process though.

In addition, no one ever said anything about getting your protein from powder...I would always recommend whole food sources.

Finally to clarify, one can still consume fruits and vegetables on a "low-carb" diet. Many vegetables (the fibrous ones) are basically free foods that you need not even bother counting calories for as far as I'm concerned, and unless you're consuming bags of apples and whole watermelons every day fruit shouldn't supply that many carbs either.

TylerDurden
03-03-2005, 03:37 PM
Protein is what repairs thing in the body, not carbohydrates.

I agree with everything you said but this. I think your confused about where the protein comes from. It's made in your liver.. all proteins are constructed in your liver except for immunoglobulins. It has recently been suggested that there may not even be more than 7 essential amino acids. The protein levels americans are much above what is needed for the body. Only kids may need to to consume 1.5 grams/lbs of body weight of protein. anyway, i don't want to be unprofessional about this, if you intend to challenge me on this then please keep it between us and pm me.