PDA

View Full Version : Some Westside questions

drew
03-03-2005, 06:04 PM
OK, I think it's time I gave Westside a try. I've been reading everything I can find on it and it seems like a good fit for me. Just a few noob questions so I can plan out my routines and get underway.

How much weight should I be lifting on my assistance lifts? 80%? In that neighborhood?

What is a good substitute for reverse hypers? Regular hyperextensions? The gym I belong to does not have a rev-hyper machine.

Are supplements a must (for joints)? If so, what are the most important?

Also, I prefer to lift raw. I don't even use a belt anymore. Should I rethink this and try using a bench shirt? Or will I continue to see good strength gains lifting raw?

Sorry if any of this is stupid, just wanting to move to the next level, and do so properly. Thanks guys.

debussy
03-03-2005, 07:16 PM
For assistance, I think it really depends on the exercise and how you react to it. I try to stay in the range of 8-12 reps for assistance though. I'm not too sure about percentages.

I've never seen a RH in my life. I think a good replacement for RH is doing pull throughs with 15-20 reps.

As far as supplements and equipment... I don't use either and I feel fine. Granted I'm not that strong/experienced yet...

Paul Stagg
03-03-2005, 07:21 PM
How much weight should I be lifting on my assistance lifts? 80%? In that neighborhood?

** It varies by the individual. Do what makes you stronger.

What is a good substitute for reverse hypers? Regular hyperextensions? The gym I belong to does not have a rev-hyper machine.

** Hypers, pull thrus, GHR if you have one, dimel Deads, etc.

** Not a must. use what you need to meet your nutrition requirements. I use creatine, glucosamine/MSM, a multivitamin, Opticen, Nitrean, and ETS.

Also, I prefer to lift raw. I don't even use a belt anymore. Should I rethink this and try using a bench shirt? Or will I continue to see good strength gains lifting raw?

** Depends. You can do fine raw. If you are going to compete, you'll probably want to consider a shirt and suit.

drew
03-03-2005, 07:48 PM
Thanks a lot guys guys. I really appreciate it.

bill
03-04-2005, 11:47 AM

** It varies by the individual. Do what makes you stronger.

** Hypers, pull thrus, GHR if you have one, dimel Deads, etc.

** Not a must. use what you need to meet your nutrition requirements. I use creatine, glucosamine/MSM, a multivitamin, Opticen, Nitrean, and ETS.

** Depends. You can do fine raw. If you are going to compete, you'll probably want to consider a shirt and suit.
Paul what is a GHR? And if you work out in a bb gym Pull throughs will get you some weird stares. But you have to weird to do this stuff right?

EdgarMex
03-04-2005, 11:55 AM
GHR = Glute Ham Raise

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Hamstrings/BBGluteHamRaise.html

http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?qid=4100&tid=51

Paul Stagg
03-08-2005, 08:27 AM
A pull through won't get you nearly as many weird stares as using bands and boards, trust me.

People interested in strenght training will ask you about what you are doing, take the opportunity to tell them.. not to 'convert' them to your style of training, but to suggest they do some reading on their own about different training methods.

"I've found this to work well for me, and it's fun!" is more effective than "This is the best training style there is".

bill
03-08-2005, 08:30 AM
Thanks guys

jazer80
03-08-2005, 12:37 PM
depends what works for you. typically assistance is for hypertrophy/size, so if you're using it for that go with what you did when bodybuilding. i personally (and i believe adam mckinnon too) do assistance exercises with around 70%, adn do them in a dynamic fashion, and stop way before fatigue, because i don't want hypertrophy, but rather power/strength

you're gonna have a hard time finding them. i've never seen one in real life. i do regular hypers, i don't think they're really interchangeable. rev hypers are good for entire posterior chain, so i'd think gm's are a decent swap, that's what i do.

i started getting joint pains right away, but i was doing lots of dynamic, so that made it worse. i am taking ~1500-2000mg daily of msm and glucosamine, and 2000mg of microlactin(from ets). it helped my joints to go slower on the eccentric parts of lifts and just explode on concentric.

i go raw too. it depends what your goals are. if you want to be competitive with others, you will need to learn it. if you're only looking to compete w/ yourself you don't need it.

drew
03-08-2005, 06:32 PM
Thanks for the input jazer. Right now I'm just using creatine and 1000 of glutamine. I'm going to see how it goes for a few weeks before deciding what to add. I really like the GHRs and will probably just do them in place of RevHypers. And as far as a bench shirt, for right now I'm only looking to compete in the deadlift. I figure once I get my bench over 300 I will consider the shirt.

Oh, and I get enough wierd stares doing speed squats and zerchers. Can't wait to see what I get when I stroll in there with my boards.

jazer80
03-08-2005, 06:41 PM
Oh, and I get enough wierd stares doing speed squats and zerchers. Can't wait to see what I get when I stroll in there with my boards.
haha seriously. some kid that i was spotting saw me doing my speed sets. he's like what's your max? so i tell him, and he's like 'why are you only doing 135 for reps?' haha i think it's kind of funny because i know it confuses people. you kind of notice the kind of weight people use, so someone would notice me today for instance dl'ing 380, then see me a few days later speed squatting like 150

jazer80
03-08-2005, 06:42 PM
what's a GHR?

drew
03-08-2005, 06:46 PM
Glute-Ham Raise. Kinda like a reverse reverse hyper.

Speed squats are especially fun because none of them have seen box squats.

jazer80
03-08-2005, 07:53 PM
ya i need to learn box squats. i'm gonna be doing them off of 45lbs plates, so that'll be weird looking. as long as you're doing a lot of weight for ur size on max days, who gives a ****

PYRO
03-15-2005, 04:48 PM
You guys built your own box for squats....how do i find out the dimensions? doesnt have to be sturdy either

EdgarMex
03-15-2005, 04:51 PM
I built my own. If I remember correctly it's 20 x 20 inches or so and height is 13.5 (puts me at parallel or a tad lower). It should be sturdy, you're going to be sitting on it with a loaded bar on you're back.

jazer80
03-15-2005, 04:54 PM
why doesn't it have to be sturdy? also i've read stuff about it being a good idea to build multiple, smaller boxes, so you can stack them to the appropriate height

Isaac Wilkins
03-15-2005, 04:57 PM
Just build a box that works. Find the height you want, and build it.

I'd make it pretty sturdy. It's going to be a wild ride if you crash through it.

tholian8
03-15-2005, 04:57 PM
Make the thing sturdy...I'd be terrified to sit down on a flimsy box with a loaded barbell on my back, and I don't even squat that much weight.

johnnytang24
03-16-2005, 10:01 AM
> Oh, and I get enough wierd stares doing speed squats and zerchers. Can't wait to see what I get when I stroll in there with my boards.

I kind of wonder about the importance of board work for the raw lifter. I believe the shirt helps more out of the bottom, and the sticking point is higher up, whereas a raw lifter will have more problems coming off the chest.

I would suggest making multiple smaller boxes instead of one big box, so you can use them for low box squats, high box squats, deads off a platform, pin pulls, etc.

Thanks.

PowerManDL
03-16-2005, 10:10 AM
Low boards, 1, 2, and 3, are very useful for raw lifters, but yeah, they do need more direct work for right off the chest. Higher boards can be good for tricep work.

For a box I just use some of the aerobic steps and throw a 45 on top of it.

EdgarMex
03-16-2005, 11:12 AM
I kind of wonder about the importance of board work for the raw lifter. I believe the shirt helps more out of the bottom, and the sticking point is higher up, whereas a raw lifter will have more problems coming off the chest.

I started a thread about this issue a couple of weeks ago and there were lots of good info there:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=61115

drew
03-16-2005, 09:03 PM
See, I find my sticking point to be about 2-3" off my chest. I can always push the bar at least 3" before I fail.

johnnytang24
03-17-2005, 10:25 AM
I started a thread about this issue a couple of weeks ago and there were lots of good info there:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=61115

Good stuff. I also like bottom up benching in the rack. Completely negates the stretch reflex, as well as any momentum, depending on where you put the pins.