PDA

View Full Version : The best diet for losing Fat

ironworker
03-04-2005, 11:25 AM
I was thinking of a 0 carb diet but have read how bad alot of you think that is, I am about 20lbs over weight and just joined a gym, I spent 50 minutes on the eliptical (great machine) for the first time in my life and almost killed myself, I will be back Monday morning for more.

Once I start to lose the weight I plan on learning how to lift weights.

Thanks for the help

Rich

Vapour Trails
03-04-2005, 11:33 AM
I think people should definately go low carb when trying to shed fat, but there is no need to go zero carb. Zero carb will leave you feeling weak in the gym and puts you at the greatest risk of losing muscle mass.

Your brain can only use glucose as fuel, and it uses 40 g a day. If you aren't consuming any carbs, your body has to synthesize glucose for your brain. That glucose can only be synthesized from the carbon skeletons produced when amino acids are deaminated. Put simply, when going zero carb, the main source of fuel will be amino acids coming from both diet and lean muscle tissue.

ironworker
03-04-2005, 11:41 AM
thanks for the repy, How many carbs is to much for a person, I have seen all the diets, Atkins, South Beach ect, I need something that is going to help me lose weight but also allow me to not lose muscle.

Should a person be taking any sort of protein shake or anything to supplement a meal when on a low carb diet?

Thanks again.

Holto
03-04-2005, 12:12 PM
I think people should definately go low carb when trying to shed fat

why?

& have you ever personally done a cut ?

EdgarMex
03-04-2005, 12:34 PM
Low carb works well for some people, but it is not for everybody. For me it has always worked well. What has worked best for me is UD2. You can find more info here or go to www.bodyrecomposition.com

AllUp
03-04-2005, 12:51 PM
Your brain can only use glucose as fuel, and it uses 40 g a day. If you aren't consuming any carbs, your body has to synthesize glucose for your brain.
Not necessarily.
The brain can run off of Ketones as well, although not as efficient. It also takes a little getting used to.

Put simply, when going zero carb, the main source of fuel will be amino acids coming from both diet and lean muscle tissue.
Actually, no/low carbing has a protein sparing effect. Ones body being the efficient survival machine that it is will use up fat as a fuel source before protein.CH>Fat>Pro.

Also I second UD2.. It works wonders. :D

Slim Schaedle
03-04-2005, 02:00 PM
Not necessarily.
The brain can run off of Ketones as well, although not as efficient. It also takes a little getting used to.

Actually, no/low carbing has a protein sparing effect. Ones body being the efficient survival machine that it is will use up fat as a fuel source before protein.CH>Fat>Pro.

"Protein sparing" means that dietary protein can be used to make body tissues and perfrom other vital processes when carb intake provides enough glucose for body needs.

So obviously low carb is not protein sparing

ironworker
03-04-2005, 02:12 PM
I read a post where a young guy lost like 20lbs in 2 months, he was on almost 0 carb diet, by his photo's it worked beyond belief, here is a link to the post, here (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=58366) I would love to lose that kind of weight in that amount of time but i read where alot of people didnt agree with the method.

I seen in that post the following comment "So, you were jst doing Ketosis without the carb cycling?" what does that mean and do I have to worryabout it if I decided to try the same type of diet?

Thanks for all the help.

Rich

ironworker
03-04-2005, 02:27 PM
Slim, your the man with those abs! just looking at you makes me want to go back to the gym tonight.

thanks for the advice, I am gonna need everything I can get.

Rich

Slim Schaedle
03-04-2005, 06:08 PM
Slim, your the man with those abs! just looking at you makes me want to go back to the gym tonight.

thanks for the advice, I am gonna need everything I can get.

Rich

Thanks for the compliment.

I should probably revise what I said earlier ("So obviously low carb is not protein sparing") and say that no carb is not protein sparing.

Ironworker, honestly there are so many different ways/diets/fad diets to lose weight/fat but what really matters is that your body is in a calorie deficit. As long as you are burning more calories than you are consuming, you will lose weight.

My results that you refered to above came from a diet relatively higher in carbs and protein but low in fat. (60g carbs, 45g protein per meal) I had been eating moderate carbs (around 40g per meal) and began shedding fat as soon as I upped it. But different things work for different people.

Good luck.

drew22mader
03-06-2005, 08:12 PM
I weighed in at 224 lbs January 7th when i started my diet and running and lifting. I'm not at 184 lbs, I have only cheated once and that was for the superbowl, but I didn't cheat that bad. I walk/run about 4 times a week and lift the same days before I run. I have lost alot of fat off my body and now I'm going to start lifting harder to get ripped.

robinhood
03-07-2005, 12:03 PM
go low carb and not 0 carb. I'd recommend topping out at about 100g a day but getting at least something in the 75-80 range short term.

no regrets
03-07-2005, 03:47 PM
I too would go low carb. I have a hard enough time being energetic with a low carb diet. I couldn't imagine what it would feel like being on a 0 carb diet.

Holto
03-07-2005, 03:49 PM
I'd recommend topping out at about 100g a day

why ?

given the same amount of cals on a balanced diet, fat loss will be equal

CrazyK
03-07-2005, 03:50 PM
When I was natty, 40/30/30, p/c/f, 12x bodyweight in cals always worked. Would do that for 4 weeks, than switch to 11x bodyweight in cals, than after 4 more weeks switch to 10x bodyweight in cals until I was satisfied with the fat loss.

Built
03-07-2005, 03:52 PM
Worth mentioning, and I haven't seen it yet, is to make sure you keep your fats higher when you go low carb. Otherwise, you risk going into a protein-oxidative state.

I lost most of my overweight on low-carb, with fats at about 65% of total cals.

Worked like a hot damn, got me down to about 10-15 lbs overweight and kept me there.

I lost / am losing the rest with strategic carbohydrate consumption along with heavy lifting.

All diets work, and all diets fail. You'll have to find the blend that works for you, and this may well change over time and as you get leaner and more muscular.

Vapour Trails
03-08-2005, 09:41 AM
Not necessarily.

Sure it can run off ketones but ketosis is not pleasant state to be in and your brain will still require some glucose because ketones only partly replace glucose as fuel for the brain. Also, I made mistake in my earlier post, the brain requires 120g of glucose a day. Not too mention, workouts would be awful.

Its true that the quantity of muscle consumed during a prolonged starvation decreases due to increased utilization of ketone bodies for the brain and red blood cells, but the fact still remains that muscle is being degraded. For bodybuilders, this is unacceptable.

There was a thread posted a couple months ago that had the results of a study that indicated low carb dieters lost more weight than low fat dieters when consuming the same quantity of calories.

Jabberwocky
03-08-2005, 10:06 AM
The best diet for losing fat bar none is the diet you will stick to. A diet may have all of the potential in the world for weight loss, but if you cannot mentally or physically handle it the weight loss will be minimal.

tholian8
03-08-2005, 10:09 AM
The best diet for losing fat bar none is the diet you will stick to. A diet may have all of the potential in the world for weight loss, but if you cannot mentally or physically handle it the weight loss will be minimal.

Well said.

ironworker
03-08-2005, 10:39 AM
I broke a rib or two on my left side about 2-1/2 weeks ago riding my dirt bike, the pain was almost un noticeable, but since I started working out doing cardio in the morning the pain has become almost unbearable.

This really really sucks because I just started this routine in the gym and I really feel like I am on a path to change my life, I don't and can't stop going to the gym now but if the pain is anything like it is right now when I wake up in the morning I may have to change my cardio to just a long walk :cry:

I noticed it yesterday after I got out of the gym but today it just sucks.
Weights are out of the question, I can barely tie my shoes.

If it comes to not being able to work out in the morning then the diet is really going to have to get tight