PDA

View Full Version : Help with increasing squat

mymonkeyfish
03-04-2005, 02:12 PM
I am new to this site. I am a 19 year old female and started lifting a little over a year ago. I have been working with a trainer almost the whole time. My college has a weight lifting record and I want my name up there. I currently weight just under 120 and squat 140 doing 8-10 reps. To beat the record of 200lbs I have to squat 5 reps of 185lbs. My goal is to do this before my trainer moves in 10 weeks. What are the chances I can add 50lbs to my squat in 10 weeks? 5lbs a week sounds like a lot, but I'm dedicated and I want it to happen.
Another concern is that I will gain weight during this time if I am lifting so much, I might go up into the next weight catagory which will mean I have to add 60lbs instead of 50lbs.
My trainer is a stickler for me doing things right, and makes sure I get rest on my off days and that my diet is good. I am seeing a nutritionist next week to talk about my diet. I am also taking creatine and protien powder.

I would just like some advise and people opinions on this. Thank you so much, and I love this site

Chrispy
03-04-2005, 09:14 PM
i'll let someone more experienced handle this but....

GOOD LUCK!
why do you want to do it before your trainer moves. do you just want him to share this accomplishment with you or are you afraid you can't do it alone. if it's the latter, i have faith that you can do it without the trainer.

drew
03-05-2005, 12:37 PM
Well, first off, if you're training to do a 5 rep squat, why are you repping 8-10 range? Drop down to 6-8 or even to 5. 5 lbs a week is definitely possible, but you'll have to put everything you have into it. I think if you start repping in a lower range, you'll see an immediate increase in the weight. Are you lifting to failure right now? If not, you should be. You should also be able to identify your weak points and work on them in addition to your squats.

Good luck.

bigpoppapump979
03-05-2005, 08:29 PM
yea i think you should start repping lower or at least working in a lower rep higher weight set in your squat routine. if you can do 140x8-10 you should already be in the 170-175 range. i dont understand the 5x185 thing...do you mean that they will count it as 200 if you rep 185x5 or are you just talking abaout a rep max chart?

EdgeCrusher
03-06-2005, 08:48 PM
I doubt the 10 week goal is all that possible given you've been lifting for a year and only have a 140 squat, but good luck.

If you don't want to gain weight, then don't increase your caloric intake above maintanence. If anything, try to figure out the next lower weight's requirements and consider dropping to that. Regardless, to increase your squat - squat. Do both the lift and figure out where your sticking point (where you fail) and do exercises that correspond to the muscle(s) necessary for that part of the lift.

http://www.deepsquatter.com/strength/archives/index.htm is a good resource.

Here's is the Korte 3x3 squatting program: http://www.deepsquatter.com/strength/archives/korte1.htm which you might want to consider. I don't do it, but it apparently works for other people.

Danzavair
03-08-2005, 06:48 PM
I strongly agree on repping lower, even though im a beginner. I have a 4 week cycle...10-8-7, 5-5-5, 3-3-3, 5-3-1. Core strength and form have helped me alot. Knees over toes, keep that back up and push with your heels! I think you can do it.

Gordo
03-09-2005, 08:44 AM
5 pounds a week is realistic. Start doing lower rep workouts. Each time yout hit your rep range, bump the weight next workout. Don't look at it like you are trying to add 50 pounds, look at it like you are trying to add two of those little 2.5 plates each week. If you are already getting 140 for 8-10 you are probably a lot closer than you think you are to begin with. I am also a little confused how 185x5 beats the 200 max? Do you use a chart? If that is the case then by using the charts I use you already have between a 187 and 197 max. As far as gaining weight goes, how much can you gain before you hit the next class? Eat clean and do a little maintenance cardio on off days.