PDA

View Full Version : Beer

icanrace
03-04-2005, 03:55 PM
do you think it kills your gains by drinking beer 1 night a week?
I watch my diet and such pretty much and workout 5x a week hardcore, but I like to drink some beer on the weekend. Just curious as to how much it takes away from my gains, especially when I am cutting :dj:

MM
03-04-2005, 03:59 PM
I don't think it hurts my gains at all.

icanrace
03-04-2005, 04:03 PM
I don't think it hurts my gains at all.

haha, right on bud!!
http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/party/party11.gif

tholian8
03-04-2005, 04:28 PM
One night it won't hurt, be it beer, whiskey, wine or any other form of ethyl alcohol. Many nights a week, and you have to start counting it and yes, it will slow your progress.

jbarba
03-04-2005, 04:56 PM
AMSTEL LIGHT isnt too bad for you and does not taste bad either

CarlP
03-04-2005, 06:16 PM
I'm still getting stronger every week, and I drink some beer on the weekends. But I'm bulking, so I can eat and drink what I want, sort of. Like anything though, I think moderation is the key.

wingnut
03-04-2005, 06:42 PM
It sure makes working out the next day miserable!

MM
03-04-2005, 06:46 PM

The fact that my leg day falls on Saturday makes my life difficult.

mikren
03-04-2005, 07:29 PM
Good to hear.....cause me and my weekend beer have a relationship. I too am bulking therefore it's all good. well, not that good.

Slim Schaedle
03-04-2005, 07:55 PM
Not that I advocate staying home and not having a life but.....

One weekend I stayed in to get alot of studying, etc done, keeping my diet perfect and resting alot. By Sunday I was up to 195 lbs and had been hovering around 190 for weeks. I've stayed at 195 since then so that pretty much proved to me how much I don't recover when I go out and party it up.

On a scientific note, when alcohol is consumed it is absorbed into the blood by simple diffusion and since it cannot be stored in the body, it has priority in metabolism as a fuel source. So, basically what I've learned in my classes is that when you drink alcohol, you will stop digesting the other macronutrients which means no protein synthesis.

I believe there is a thread on here that goes more into alcohol and muscle-building concerns.

icanrace
03-04-2005, 08:45 PM
I don't get hammered by any means, but I will drink like 8 beers or so to get a buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. That's about it though :)
1 night a week and the other nights training and such. I hope it won't hender my progress to bad

reaver
03-05-2005, 04:36 AM
Then you need to learn how to drink, know your limits.

I think this subject has been done to death. No one will ever agree.

wannabeabigboy
03-05-2005, 10:38 AM
if you get drunk the next day you will feel pretty ****ty lifting, i can vouch for that.

Sidior
03-05-2005, 02:20 PM
and dont ever, ever have beers before you go to the gym....long story but bottom line felt like **** and workout was a waste of my time lol

icanrace
03-05-2005, 04:25 PM
and dont ever, ever have beers before you go to the gym....long story but bottom line felt like **** and workout was a waste of my time lol

imagine that :bash:

GEOFF361
03-05-2005, 04:47 PM
sam adams light baby!!!!!!!!!!

waynis
03-05-2005, 08:04 PM
I don't get hammered by any means, but I will drink like 8 beers or so to get a buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

8 beers is a lot of beers whether your buzzed or not. Drink some red wine. It's good for you :thumbup:

ozzyman
03-06-2005, 12:31 AM
would just like to add I used to drink one night a week only and recently stopped..... My Diet has remained the same and yet I have reduced BF% by 2% and added 2-3lbs of body weight in the last month of not drinking.... just a personal experience maybe but obviously it was affecting my gains.....

BTW I beleive ST posted about alchohol consuption and its affect on muscle tissue as well...... type 2 if i remember right?

BUFF STUFF
03-11-2005, 04:46 PM
Not that I advocate staying home and not having a life but.....

One weekend I stayed in to get alot of studying, etc done, keeping my diet perfect and resting alot. By Sunday I was up to 195 lbs and had been hovering around 190 for weeks. I've stayed at 195 since then so that pretty much proved to me how much I don't recover when I go out and party it up.

On a scientific note, when alcohol is consumed it is absorbed into the blood by simple diffusion and since it cannot be stored in the body, it has priority in metabolism as a fuel source. So, basically what I've learned in my classes is that when you drink alcohol, you will stop digesting the other macronutrients which means no protein synthesis.

I believe there is a thread on here that goes more into alcohol and muscle-building concerns.

I find your alcohol, fuel and no protein synsis claims intersting, anyone know where the article is or have any more details???

Slim Schaedle
03-11-2005, 06:24 PM
I find your alcohol, fuel and no protein synsis claims intersting, anyone know where the article is or have any more details???

http://www.elmhurst.edu/~chm/vchembook/642alcoholmet.html
Not extremely detailed, but it came up first on my search.

Point of interest: "Alcohol causes inflammation of the stomach, pancreas, and intestines which impairs the digestion of food and absorption into blood. Moreover, the acetaldehyde (the oxidation product) can interfere with the activation of vitamins."

The information I provided earlier came from a textbook.