PDA

View Full Version : About Fruits

YungLifter
03-04-2005, 04:25 PM
are fruits bad in anyway towards tryin to build muscle i usually hav one peice aday

Built
03-04-2005, 05:17 PM
Nope, fruit's good for you.

Fructose does replenish liver glycogen preferentially, but there's not much in fruit, and fruit's got good stuff you need.

Don't rely on it for your post workout carbs, though - for that, you need to replenish muscle glycogen - malto/dextrose is good for this, with whey (or some other fairly fast protein and carb source.)

TheGimp
03-04-2005, 06:45 PM
Fructose does replenish liver glycogen preferentially, but there's not much in fruit, and fruit's got good stuff you need.

Bear in mind that hepatic glycogen levels are one of the primary factors in determining whether the body is in an anabolic state.

Built
03-04-2005, 06:49 PM
This sounds interesting.

Care to dumb it down a bit for the newbie here? Please?

:)

TheGimp
03-04-2005, 07:21 PM
Like you say fructose preferentially refills liver glycogen

During postworkout this is undesirable as you want to be refilling muscle glycogen depleted during the workout

At other times however it is worth taking into consideration the fact that liver glycogen levels are a key factor in determining whether the body is in an anabolic - muscle building - state. So fruit makes a good snack.

Slim Schaedle
03-04-2005, 07:37 PM
but there's not much in fruit

What do you mean by this?

(1)There is not a large ammount of carbohydrates, in general, per peice of fruit, or (2) that in each piece of fruit, the amount of fructose per grams of carbohydrate is small?

If it is the second, then you are wrong b/c the carbohydrate source in fruit is fructose.

TheGimp
03-04-2005, 08:55 PM
If it is the second, then you are wrong b/c the carbohydrate source in fruit is fructose.

It depends on the fruit. In the case of grapes for instance, fructose accounts for about half of the carbohydrates, the majority of the remainder being comprised of dextrose.

Although I do agree that fructose is the predominant carb source in fruit :)

Slim Schaedle
03-04-2005, 09:00 PM
It depends on the fruit. In the case of grapes for instance, fructose accounts for about half of the carbohydrates, the majority of the remainder being comprised of dextrose.

Although I do agree that fructose is the predominant carb source in fruit :)

Cool, chalk that one up in the "I didn't know that" category. :thumbup:

Built
03-04-2005, 10:48 PM
Yep.

Thing is, a medium apple typically has about 20 odd grams of carb. Of these, about 12 grams are fructose. (http://www.discussfitness.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1501)

So, yeah, most of the little bit of sugar in that apple is fructose, but we're not talking massive quantities here...

...Unless you're drinking juice, at which point it's VERY easy to knock back a LOT of fructose all at once. One of the reasons kids are so fat these days is all the fruit juice and pop they're drinking (pop is, of course, usually sweetened with high fructose corn syrup)

Slim Schaedle
03-05-2005, 12:14 AM
Yep.

Thing is, a medium apple typically has about 20 odd grams of carb. Of these, about 12 grams are fructose. (http://www.discussfitness.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1501)

So, yeah, most of the little bit of sugar in that apple is fructose, but we're not talking massive quantities here...

...Unless you're drinking juice, at which point it's VERY easy to knock back a LOT of fructose all at once. One of the reasons kids are so fat these days is all the fruit juice and pop they're drinking (pop is, of course, usually sweetened with high fructose corn syrup)

Well blow me down.

That's what happens when I don't actually look up what I am saying to be absolutely sure.

I concede.

YungLifter
03-05-2005, 07:48 AM
so fruit is good for u right?

Built
03-05-2005, 12:42 PM
Yes. An excellent snack, especially with protein. Eat it, but don't juice it.

Built
03-05-2005, 12:43 PM
Oh, and one more thing on the fruit thing - eat the most colourful ones you can find - they're the ones that are the highest in antioxidants, especially berries.

Optimum08
03-05-2005, 12:44 PM
:withstupi....and they look cool...haha

Built
03-06-2005, 05:31 PM
Yepper, coolness. The main feature I look for in any food.

:cool: :burger: