I am having trouble with my diet, some suggestions would be appreciated:
bfast: 8 egg whites, oatmeal, glass of oj
midmorning: Pbj w/ natty pb, an orange
lunch: tuna on wheat, an apple
snack: peanuts, or mixed nuts
snack: tuna again or MRP
dinner: chicken and veggies
before bed: shake usually

my only question is that im a high schooler and i cant bring breasts of chicken in my lunch or large amounts of food, so i usually resort to a sandwich. Any tips on how to pack better or any critqiues would be nice, thanks

Built
03-04-2005, 05:32 PM
Ditch the OJ, for starters...

Whatcha trying to do, bulk or cut?

ReelBigFish
03-04-2005, 11:12 PM
why couldn't you bring some brown rice and chicken in a tupperware container? make a healthy stir fry with some veggies and egg whites. If any gives you **** just tell em to F*** off or kick their ass.

senor fusion
03-05-2005, 12:17 AM
heh, good suggestion, yeah everyone yells at me when i bust out the tuna in class, but oh well. I am trying to bulk to answer your question, but i may cut soon b/c this fat ive gained is bothering me

J450n
03-05-2005, 12:22 AM
Why don't you cut a chicken fillet up into a sandwich and take it with you?

Built
03-05-2005, 12:49 PM
You might try cottage cheese with an apple. I cut the apple into quarters and smear natty PB on it. Cottage cheese is good to eat at bedtime because it digests slowly (casein). Keeps a trickle of protein getting into you all night.

BigE54
03-05-2005, 01:24 PM
Instead of tuna, shread some chicken and make a Chickin Salad sandwich :thumbup:
Why should he ditch the OJ, it's good for you..

Built
03-05-2005, 02:14 PM
OJ isn't particularly good for you. It's high in fructose, which tends to get stored as fat.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/issa14.htm

If you want an orange, eat an orange. That way you get the pulp, the fiber, and it's not as easy to eat 6 oranges as it is to DRINK 6 oranges worth of fructose.

Nobody should be drinking fruit juice. Drink water.

Vido
03-05-2005, 02:25 PM
A sandwich for lunch is fine...so is orange juice for that matter.

You need more fat in your diet, and if that shake before bed is whey I'd ditch it for whole food.

Dirt
03-05-2005, 06:24 PM
OJ isn't particularly good for you. It's high in fructose, which tends to get stored as fat.

Drinking juice is fine. If it's within your caloric intake I don't see what the problem is. I drink a lot of fruit juice and I'm far from fat. I can see if you're cutting that you would obviously want to ditch it, but he isn't.

Pitfan04
03-05-2005, 08:19 PM
I drink V8 splash like theres no tomorrow. And look at my sig. I am far from fat also. I might be thick, but I aint fat. Fruit juice is fine, just make sure its 100% juice.

Built
03-05-2005, 10:56 PM
Suit yourself.

senor fusion
03-06-2005, 12:34 AM
i just cant give up my morning oj though! :)

Built
03-06-2005, 05:28 PM
If it's not making you fat, leave it in. My husband can't give his up either.

It's not like you're drinking BEER first thing - THAT would be a whole other problem...

;)

abwowang
03-06-2005, 06:35 PM
almonds instead of peanuts..
unsalted for sure.

Built
03-06-2005, 06:58 PM
Why no salt? Salt's anabolic.

senor fusion
03-06-2005, 08:54 PM
yes, i eat the unsalted peanuts, theyre not bad, so i can afford the lack of taste. I need to change my diet up because ive put on some weight with a nice amount of belly fat, or maybe i should just stop cheating!

Vido
03-06-2005, 09:19 PM
Why no salt? Salt's anabolic.

He probably gets enough sodium from other foods. Some sodium is good; excess is bad. Typically, you shouldn't need to eat salted foods or add salt to anything to get your required sodium intake.

Shao-LiN
03-06-2005, 09:58 PM

Huh? You're saying fruit is not good for you? You know eating an apple, banana, etc. is basically fructose as well, right? It will tend to get stored as fat in certain situations, just like any other type of nutrient can get stored as fat in certain conditions.

Built
03-06-2005, 11:04 PM
I said EAT fruit, but don't drink it.

You can easily knock back a half dozen oranges worth of juice, and that's a LOT of sugar hitting you all at once. I think you'd have a harder time EATING this many oranges, and besides, when you eat it, you have the pulp and pectins slowing the digestion process down.

While you DO want a big whack of fast carb post-workout (for the insulin spike, so it shuttles nutrients into the cells), you DON'T want fructose at this time because it isn't taken up preferentially by the muscles, but by the liver.

There's really no other time except for post-workout when you want a concentrated hit of ANY type of sugar. So even post-workout, you don't want fruit juice - you want dextrose/maltodextrin: fast insulin spike, and a type of sugar that is taken up preferentially by the muscles instead of the liver.

Summary, eat fruit, but don't drink it.

:)

Built
03-06-2005, 11:06 PM
He probably gets enough sodium from other foods. Some sodium is good; excess is bad. Typically, you shouldn't need to eat salted foods or add salt to anything to get your required sodium intake.

You'd be surprised, actually. I was: http://chemo.net/sodium-.htm

abwowang
03-07-2005, 10:34 AM
wow
what an interesting article..
i been trying to dodge sodium for a good period of time...

Built
03-07-2005, 11:21 AM
You still need to dodge it, as you'd expect, when you're trying to drop water for comp, but not otherwise (unless you have a health condition of course!)