PDA

View Full Version : Trans Fats In Milk

Zearoth
03-05-2005, 06:19 PM
I googled up to see how much naturally occuring trans fat there is in milk. Apparantly, there is about 0.07g of trans fat per 100g of 2% milk.

My question is, should I be concerned about this if I am drinking lots of it? I drink 6-8 cups of milk a day for meals and weight gainer shakes. Is this a problem? Should I switch to skim milk?

And another question is, does anyone know if there is any studies out there on how much trans fat is recommended daily? I know trans fat should be limited, but I want to know if I'm doing something wrong by drinking milk that has this much trans fat.

Pitfan04
03-05-2005, 08:21 PM
Milk is the BEST for bulking other then food. As long as your drinking 2% or less, I wouldnt worry. Hell, even on cuts I go through about a gallon every 3 days. On bulks I go through about a gallon in a day and a half, and thats mostly in cereal LOL

Canadian Crippler
03-05-2005, 09:26 PM
All Beatrice, Natrel, and Neilson 2% milk has 0.2g trans fat per 250ml (1 cup).

Cynical_Simian
03-05-2005, 10:19 PM
The most definitive recommendation/study on trans fat stated that there is no safe intake level and that it should be eliminated from the diet if at all possible. However, since many animal products contain tiny amounts of naturally occurring trans fat, completely eliminating it is hardly possible/desirable. As long as you're not eating highly processed baked goods and other products that contain hydrogenated oils, don't worry about it.

Cynical_Simian
03-05-2005, 10:20 PM
This might be helpful:

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/qatrans2.html

Optimum08
03-06-2005, 12:07 AM
if your that worried..then try some skim milk sometime...obviously it will taste diff from 2% but once u get used to it its great...i go through about 3-4 gallons a week...haha

ozzyman
03-06-2005, 12:28 AM
:withstupi I switched to skim milk and after a few days didnt even notice the taste difference.... virtually the same minus the fat....

D&G
03-06-2005, 01:28 AM
You have it wrong:

Animal products have small amounts of naturally occurring trans fats that act differently than man-made trans fatty acids. The correlation between trans fats and heart disease is related specifically to the trans fats from vegetable oils. The labeling law will exclude those small amounts of naturally occurring trans fats. They "act differently," which means they're not linked to heart disease

CLA for example is a naturally occuring trans-fat.

It's the man made hydrogenated oils that are bad for us.

waynis
03-06-2005, 03:02 PM
To go along with D&G, naturally occuring trans fats are not what you need to worry about. Man made trans fats should be eliminated completly from your diet.

Zearoth
03-06-2005, 03:31 PM
Okay. I was just worried that I was drinking too much milk...apparantly I didn't have it the worst, lol.

Thanks for helping out everyone.

EDIT: While we're on the topic, could anyone mind telling me exactly why trans-fat (particularly synthetic ones) are so bad? I know that they change states when you consume them, but other than that, what other effects can trans-fat have on the body?

D&G
03-07-2005, 03:33 AM
This site should answer your questions:

http://www.bantransfats.com/transvssat.html

waynis
03-07-2005, 11:17 AM
That site will give you some good info but I think trans fats make you more hungry, definetly fatter, and give you cravings for certain types of bad foods. I have elminated trans fats from my diet almost a year ago. Since then I notice I have like zero appetite. I'am hungry when I should be and that's it. I also seem to be able to controll my wieght a lot better also.Trans fats suffocate cells from proper function.