PDA

View Full Version : Dieting and trying to cut up

drew22mader
03-06-2005, 11:14 AM
I'm 20 yrs old and 5'9" and i used to weigh 190 in high school when i played baseball and football, i wasn't fat but wasn't skinny either, i decided enough was enough and decided that i was going to lose weight. I'm currently at 184lbs and more lean than in high school. I am on a 1200 calorie diet and only drink water and diet pepsi. I do not eat after 8 pm

I've lost 40 lbs now in the beginning of my 9th week. I weighed 224 and now i'm at 184.

I have some questions though,
I was recently at the Arnold Classic in Columbus, Ohio and had receive many different types of protein bars and dietary supplements, etc. My question is, if i'm on a 1200 calorie diet should I eat the protein bars? Some are as high as 250 calories. They also handed out Nitro-Tech, Its pretty large container too, should i start taking this or just hold off? Another product is Xendrine, would this help me burn the fat off my stomach? I can see the results from lifting but want to become cut alot more. Should i continue my workout or change it up?

I usually do this:
Chest and Tris on Monday, Wednesday - Bench - 3 sets of 135, 10x,8x,6x......Incline with dumbells using 40's, declines with 135, 10x,8x,6x, I also do a chest machine workout that consists of 3 sets of 10, I do pulldowns, 3 sets of 10 with those, and 3 other tri workouts.

On Tuesday and Thursday I do Shoulders, Biceps, I do 3 sets of 10 w/ 40 lbs on curls, i do 3 more sets with the bench bar, I do curls with cords, 3 sets of 10 of 60 lbs, I do shoulder work, about 3 or so shoulder workouts.

Can someone tell me if I should switch or continue. I'm not sore after working out, I'm sore when I work out, but that is just from lifting at the time. I do abs for 30 minutes a day, 2x 25 on the incline and 3 to 4 sets flat. I know abs will not show without losing the fat, but i can't seem to do it.

I then usually walk at a fast pace for 2 miles. Should i start running? Or do the bicycle?

I'm trying to get really cut, can anyone also list what I should eat for breakfast lunch and dinner and in between. I eat Grilled Chicken breasts, green beans, corn, turkey, Spaghetti for carbs every now and then, 35 Calorie bread, Cereal, Special K Bars, Eggs, Low Fat Bacon, Fish Sandwich, Lays Light Chips, water and Diet Pepsi,

I've never really tried Oats and I don't like Tuna, I have Nitro Tech and protein bars, and I also have Diet Pills, I haven't taken anything as of yet, but I wanna get as cut as possible. And if protein shakes and stuff will help me then I am going to do it.

Canadian Crippler
03-06-2005, 11:55 AM
You don't work back or legs?

Max-Mex
03-06-2005, 12:02 PM
4 lbs a week. I have to say that's impressive. Very impressive. If your goal is to not gain strength or muscle(maybe lose quite a bit), then continue. 1200 calories is really not that much for a person of your weight. If you want to continue that kinda of intake, then be sure your getting in enough protien. Try to eat foods that will take longer to digest. Small meals will be very important so you keep hunger down to a minimum.

I would say away from protien bars as they really won't fill you up for long and they are mor carbs than protien, IMO. As far as Fat burners (Xenadrine and the like), they won't burn fat off you stomach. If it's a good product, it can help with fat burning in general, but not in one specific spot.

As far as yor routine goes, it's half a workout. If you want skinny Brad Pitt legs, then keep at it. Work the rest of your body please. The largest muscles are below the waist and if you want to increase your metabolism more, then work the lower half.

As far as what to eat, it seems you have a good list of foods. I would recommend dropping the Special K bars and Chips. I would add lean Beef, Tuna, Salmon, and more gree veggies (Broccoli, spinach, romaine lettuce).

shansen008
03-06-2005, 12:11 PM
"Low Fat Bacon"

/boggle

Anyway, but yeah...try one of the workout routines here at WBB...maybe WBB1 or 2. Now that you have lost a significant amount of weight, i would up the calories but still remain ~500 below maintenance. If you are lean at all and 184, id say bumb the calories up to about 2200/day at least. You will still lose weight, but slower. More importantly it will be the right kind of weight. You dont want to cut up and find that you have no muscles left when you are done.

drew22mader
03-06-2005, 12:24 PM
I do need to do back, My legs I really don't want to get bigger, but cut yes, what leg and back workouts should i do? I was 224 when i started the 1200 calories a day. I got so accustomed to losing weight that it frustrates me when I don't lose that much. I just don't want to gain weight, now if i lose fat and gain muscle i know i will and I can live with it, but I don't want to bulk up at all, i want to be cut all over. I thought about bumping up to about 1500 to 1700 calories and continue to run/walk and workout.

How about the Nitro-Tech I have, should I take it or leave it alone too? I'm picky about food, Broccoli, spinach, I can't stand, I do eat salads though. Tuna i don't like either, but i do like smoked salmon.

Also just wondering why I should drop the Special K bars, only 90 calories and I like to eat 1 in the morning whenever I can't fix anything or I'm rushing that day.

Also where is the WBB #1 and #2, I'm seeing everyones version of it, will this routine help me get cut or bulk up?

fixationdarknes
03-06-2005, 01:22 PM
I don't think you're going to be losing fat and gaining muscle with that diet. You would lose both fat and muscle.

Also, the fact that you don't want your legs any bigger is not a good reason not to work your legs. There ARE no good reasons to not work your legs. Like Max-Mex said, it will increase your metabolism and increase your overall strength.

drew22mader
03-06-2005, 01:27 PM
How about workout for my back and legs, and also is the Nitro Tech bad to take for what I'm trying to accomplish? Someone help me out what my meals should be like a day, should i eat breakfast, then protein shake, then lunch, then protein shake, then dinner and a protein shake to end the day? What should I eat to stay healthy and maintain my weight while trying to get cut. And where is the WBB #1 workout?

Also I don' mean that I don't want to work them out, I guess i though by work with my legs they would get bigger, I have big thighs as it is now, not fatty or thunder thighs, but bigger. I will start a new workout but I need to know what to do in order to get cut and ripped, but not be bulky.

Max-Mex
03-06-2005, 01:42 PM
I do need to do back, My legs I really don't want to get bigger, but cut yes, what leg and back workouts should i do? I was 224 when i started the 1200 calories a day. I got so accustomed to losing weight that it frustrates me when I don't lose that much. I just don't want to gain weight, now if i lose fat and gain muscle i know i will and I can live with it,

At 1200 cals, all you are going to do is lose weight, Fat and muscle. Period. Don't kid yourself into thinking aything else is going to happen. If you work your legs, they aren't going to get bigger because you simply aren't eating enough.

Do squats, Deadlifts, lunges, leg press, Romanian Deadlifts, Leg Curls, Calf raises, seated calf raises. Don't do those all at once. Just listing some of the leg work you can do.

Max-Mex
03-06-2005, 01:45 PM
How about the Nitro-Tech I have, should I take it or leave it alone too? I'm picky about food, Broccoli, spinach, I can't stand, I do eat salads though. Tuna i don't like either, but i do like smoked salmon.

Also just wondering why I should drop the Special K bars, only 90 calories and I like to eat 1 in the morning whenever I can't fix anything or I'm rushing that day.

Also where is the WBB #1 and #2, I'm seeing everyones version of it, will this routine help me get cut or bulk up?

Nitro tech is fine, but you'll feel hungy sooner because it gets digested quickly. Learn to like broccoli and spinach. They are good for you and are low in cals and carbs. Salmon is a good sub for Tuna. If you absolutely don't have time to eat anything in the morning, then a special K bar will suffice at least for a little while. Have a glass of low fat milk with it.

Bulking and cutting all mainly a function of diet. There are no bulking or cutting routines, only weightlifting routines.

drew22mader
03-06-2005, 01:48 PM
Where are the WBB workouts? I can't find them, So whats the best way to get cut rather than bulk? Could you give me some weekly routines.

jack_of_all
03-06-2005, 02:02 PM
look at the url of the sight your in man, and say again that you just want to be 'cut'.

its still your choice but when i think of people who want to be cut i think of the kind of yupees who were really into the maccariana (i hope i mispelled this) and are would rather buy tons of bottled water than drink tap water through a filter or even just suck it up.

if you just want to be skinny, run. dont lift. you cant gain muscle the way your eating and as a result probably wont change anything by lifting.

i do this reluctantly

http://www.wannabebig.com/category.php?cat=4

drew22mader
03-06-2005, 08:00 PM
Okay, what I mean is that I want to get bigger, but not bulk up, of course you have to get bigger cause muscle weighs more than fat, what I'm wanting to do is get the fat off my arms and have muscular arms, no body building arms but arms that have great definition. I want to lose the fat that covers my abs so that I can show off my abs that i work out hard core everyday. I want to weigh less but then get bigger, I don't want to be 200 lbs I want to be about 180 to 185 lbs and be ripped. I hope thats possible, the diet I'm on has helped me lose 40 lbs, now I wanna get ripped, but i need to get the fat off first don't I?

fixationdarknes
03-06-2005, 08:32 PM
Okay, what I mean is that I want to get bigger, but not bulk up, of course you have to get bigger cause muscle weighs more than fat, what I'm wanting to do is get the fat off my arms and have muscular arms, no body building arms but arms that have great definition. I want to lose the fat that covers my abs so that I can show off my abs that i work out hard core everyday. I want to weigh less but then get bigger, I don't want to be 200 lbs I want to be about 180 to 185 lbs and be ripped. I hope thats possible, the diet I'm on has helped me lose 40 lbs, now I wanna get ripped, but i need to get the fat off first don't I?

Well, isn't having a low BF% being ripped? That's what I've always thought. But I think what you're trying to do now is build some lean muscle, right? Well, to do that, you're going to have to listen to the others about your daily caloric intake. At 1200 calories a day, you're going to lose both fat and muscle pretty fast. If you raised the caloric intake, you would lose weight more slowly...and if you do it right, you'll lose mostly fat, which is what you want. So, up your caloric intake, keep doing cardio, get on WBB Routine #1 (http://wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=25), and lift hard!

drew22mader
03-06-2005, 08:59 PM
Yea that exactly what I'm talking about, I was saying the wrong words. I'm starting the WBB #1 tomorrow. Do you think I should start taking the Nitro Tech after I work out? How many calories should i go up to? I mean what is safe that will let me continue to lose weight but on the fat side of it.

The WBB #1 seems like it doesn't have that much to it. On the weight, what % should I go when doing these lifts?

Shao-LiN
03-06-2005, 10:00 PM
My legs I really don't want to get bigger, but cut yes

Don't worry, your legs won't get any bigger on 1200 calories. Neither will anything else, really.

drew22mader
03-07-2005, 11:12 AM
The WBB #1 seems like there isn't much to it, is this workout really that great, anyone have any result they could post from it?

Shao-LiN
03-07-2005, 08:05 PM
WBB1 has all the major compound movements. The volume is somewhat lower since it is meant for beginners, but I'd say you're a beginner.

jbarba
03-07-2005, 08:16 PM
1200 cals a day will not make you "ripped" it will make you look like a scrawny skinny starving person. You will be skinny but you will lose so much muscle you will have "skinny-fat" disease.

drew22mader
03-08-2005, 08:28 AM
Shao-LiN - I lifted for football and baseball in high school for 4 yrs, took a year off and now I have been lifting for 3 months now, I wouldnt consider myself a beginner.

I've also added calories to about 1800 to 2000 calories and drinking protein shakes after I lift.