PDA

View Full Version : Diet for Strength...

Adam
11-26-2001, 07:19 PM
I'm not too smart in the diet area so I need some :help: Right now im about 17%bf weighing 185 lbs. After this meet on Saturday I wanna lose some fat to make room for more muscle but I'm confused which diet to go for?? I was thinking keto until I heard about losing alot of strength but i hear this is the best for fat loss, then I was thinkin about just going really high protein with some carbs befor and after workout but i dont know if that would work. So....anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

Reality Youth
11-26-2001, 11:50 PM
It is extremely difficult to maintain all of your strength while in caloric defecit, unless you have a stellar diet suited to your own individual needs or superior genetics.

I would try to balance at least 6 meals a day, rotating between carb meals and fat meals every other, being sure to get a good source of complex carbohydrates about 1.5-2 hours before my workout, and a high glycemic carbohydrate post workout.

What I used to do...

Days that I would lift and not run, I would eat a carb source before my workout. The same for days I would both lift and run, because I am glycogen depleted after my workout anyway, and with a complex carbohydrate source I am not in the presence of really high insulin levels.

Days that I would run only, I would not eat carbohydrates 2 hours before I ran, but rather a small portion of fat and some protein, in order to keep glycogen lower. I would then wait 20-25 minutes post cardio and eat a high glycemic carbohydrate source.

Some may disagree with that, but I found it to work well.

Honestly, you must find your own needs. But those are some suggestions.

YatesNightBlade
11-27-2001, 02:26 AM
Do you perform Cardio ???

First Avenue to try would be to include some cardio in your training sched.

Just 2 -3 times a week.

Adam
11-27-2001, 01:22 PM
Thanks for the suggestions Reality Youth. Yates, right now the only cardio i do is in my Phys.Ed class. That would probly equal 30 mins a day for 5 days a week. Right now i can get a good deal on protein so i can have alot of it a day if i need to.

heathj
11-27-2001, 03:47 PM
I lost 4% bodyfat and gained on all my lifts, what'choo talking about foo?