PDA

View Full Version : A perplexing question regarding excess caloric intake

unev_en
11-26-2001, 07:26 PM
Let's assume, for the sake of argument, that one has met one's daily caloric needs. If one is trying to add lean mass, albeit slowly, then which pre-bed meal, of the following two, should one eat?

A) carbs and protein; pro: carbs and protein, when consumed in excess of total caloric needs, are less likely than fat to be stored as body fat. con: insulin is somewhat anagonistic to hgh.

B) fats and protein; pro: fat retards digestion of protein; fat is necessary for hormonal regulation; and fat consumed in the absence of insulin is relatively difficult to store; con: fat is generally the most easily stored of all macronutrients.

If I am incorrect on any of these facts, I apologize.

Reality Youth
11-26-2001, 11:39 PM
Monitored properly, I would go with A.

Insulin is an (and the MOST) anabolic hormone. It is difficult to produce an insulin response without eating carbohydrates (just fat alone), unless gluconeogenesis were to happen, which is something you do not want as a bodybuilder.

Fat is only the most easily stored macronutrient because it is so calorie dense, and will also remain in the digestive tract for longer than protein or carbs. Be sure to make it a whole food protein source before bed, and not something like whey which is easily and quickly digested.

Tuna fish is a prime candidate.

unev_en
11-27-2001, 07:52 AM
Thanks for the reply.

What is your opinion of the theory that carbs eaten before bed, especially in times of caloric excess, are easily stored as body fat?

Paul Stagg
11-27-2001, 09:09 AM
C) Carbs, Protien, and fats.

unev_en
11-27-2001, 09:20 AM
Why is C) better than A) or B)?

Paul Stagg
11-27-2001, 09:24 AM
Protein = good for muscles
Carbs = good for muscles (glycogen) and insulin
Fats = Good for hormonal balance, good for calories.

The main thing is to get more calories than you need.

unev_en
11-27-2001, 09:59 AM
Thanks for your help.

The reason I ask is that I currently consume 300 g carbs, 50 g good fat, and at least 150 g complete protein. My daily caloric intake ranges from 2600-2800 calories (I know that the macronutrients don't equal the total caloric figure; this is because of the incomplete protein, found in oatmeal, brown rice, etc... that I consume)

I currently eat no carbs before bed, eating instead two omega-3 enriched egg yolks with three egg whites.

Should I change this? Oh, I am 18, 5'7'', male, and 136 lbs.

Paul Stagg
11-27-2001, 10:29 AM
I would.

But, then, I wouldn't be focusing on the macronutrient breakdown of my pre-bed meal.

Focus on the big stuff.

Your protein intake looks great. I'd bump fat up a little and carbs down a little. With that big a caloric excess, I might even be inclined to put more protein in place of some carbs, too.

What you eat before bed isn't going to matter all that much. What you eat all day does.

Wizard
11-27-2001, 10:35 AM
Don't eat anything at all before bed.(3-4 hours)Maybe some protein is ok though.

unev_en
11-27-2001, 11:12 AM
With this caloric intake, I've gained roughly 10 pounds in six months, while my bf% has remained relatively unchanged, so this caloric intake is not so excessive.

So more fat and less carbs, even though carbs currently comprise less than half of my daily caloric intake?

And wizard, any particular reason for your statement? Thanks again for all the replies.

11-27-2001, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Wizard
Don't eat anything at all before bed.(3-4 hours)Maybe some protein is ok though.

why not eat anything before bed wiz?

Paul Stagg
11-27-2001, 11:20 AM
With this caloric intake, I've gained roughly 10 pounds in six months, while my bf% has remained relatively unchanged; though it may appear to be, it isn't that large of a caloric excess.

** Wow. You must have a screaming metabolism. 10 pounds in 6 months isn't bad, though. Keep at it. I have some interesting ideas (not mine, mostly) for big weight gain if you are interested.

So more fat and less carbs, even though carbs currently comprise less than half of my daily caloric intake?

** That's what I would do. Big picture, worry about calories, protein, fat, carbs. In that order.

Get your caloric intake right, then get your protein right, then make sure you are getting plenty of 'good' fats, and not restricting fat intake to the poin thtat it hurts your hormone production, then make sure you get enough carbs. Carbs is the easy one.

Ironman15
11-27-2001, 02:23 PM
I'd like to hear some interesting ideas for weight gain. I'm 5'6" 125lbs. and 16. I eat about 3500 calories a day which is mainly from milk though but I'd like some better ideas for gaining weight.

unev_en
11-27-2001, 08:22 PM
Thanks again.

How much fat would you recommend?

Paul Stagg
11-28-2001, 07:49 AM
Personally, I'd set my protein requirement (mine is about 1g per pound of Paul), then split the remaning calories evenly between carbs and fats... perhaps 60/40 carbs/fats.

Some of it depends on what you like, as well.

I would never go lower than 15% of total cals from fat.

Buling ideas for a 16 year old? Drink more milk, and eat everything your mom makes for you. Ask for seconds. You'll grow.