PDA

View Full Version : Protein absorption

CarlP
03-06-2005, 07:39 PM
Does anyone know if the protein in peanut butter and tuna absorbs faster like whey, or slower like casein? I'm trying to find something appropriate to eat before bed.

Shao-LiN
03-06-2005, 07:55 PM
Well, if you're looking to use peanut butter as a protein source, there are better options. In any event, I would imagine it would "absorb" somewhat slower than whey due to the fat content of peanut butter. Peanut butter is a source of fats. If anything, drink milk and eat peanut butter.

Slim Schaedle
03-06-2005, 09:17 PM
I'm trying to find something appropriate to eat before bed.

milk
cottage cheese
steak
chicken
etc, etc , etc

mickyjune26
07-11-2005, 09:19 AM
You definately want a dairy-based protein, because of it's slow absorption rates.

Anthony
07-11-2005, 09:27 AM
It doesn't really matter in the long term.

mickyjune26
07-11-2005, 09:31 AM
Anthony, is dairy-based protein absorbed just as slowly as chicken or tuna?

In other words, are there proteins to stay AWAY from right before bed? ...besides hotdogs, brats, and Wolf-Brand Chili.
;)

Anthony
07-11-2005, 09:34 AM
1. Look at the actual scientifically proven absorbtion rates for so-called fast and slow proteins.
2. Look at the actual scientific studies that demonstrate the measurable advantage (whether it's size, strength, speed, etc) of eating a "slow" protein VS a "fast" protein before bed.
3. Realize it's completely ******ed for the average lifter to worry about it.

;)

mickyjune26
07-11-2005, 09:43 AM
Lol - you are so right. Man, I get too analytical sometimes...it's like there is some magical routine or workout that I need to do.

Comes down too - Eat, sleep and lift. Rinse. Repeat.

Hey - sounds good. Check out my new signature.

TheGimp
07-11-2005, 09:54 AM
Flesh takes a long time to digest so tuna would be fine pre-bed. The standard is something containing casein which forms a clot in the stomach and digests over a period of approximately 7 hours. Examples would be cottage cheese or a casein protein powder.

mickyjune26
07-11-2005, 10:09 AM
Casein - that's what it was called. I read up on this a year ago and couldn't remember the nutrient in dairy proteins that slowed the digestion process.

Bad thing about dairy proteins is that they contain more sugars than tuna - so if you're cutting, I would assume you wouldn't want to ingest these sugars before bed....maybe tuna fish would be better.

mmmm....straight out of the can. Leave the juices in or it drys out your mouth. lol.

mickyjune26
07-11-2005, 10:11 AM
also - please brush teeth after eating tuna

Shao-LiN
07-11-2005, 05:53 PM
Bad thing about dairy proteins is that they contain more sugars than tuna - so if you're cutting, I would assume you wouldn't want to ingest these sugars before bed....maybe tuna fish would be better.

Why? You one of those that buys into that carbs will automatically turn into fat at night voodoo people?

CarlP
07-11-2005, 07:26 PM
It doesn't really matter in the long term.

After reading here, doing research, and looking at my gains, I realized that. I have a PB sandwich with a glass of milk. It tastes good, and should do enough to slow down catabolism at night.

mickyjune26
07-11-2005, 08:32 PM
I didn't word that right - I meant, maybe tuna fish a some brown rice. I assume that you would want to stay away from sugar carbs before bed. Brown rice has 3g dietary fiber carbs and 0g sugar carbs.

Do sugar carbs turn into fat more easily than dietary fiber carbs?

But...in the long run, just eat, sleep, workout and you'll be fine.

bradley
07-12-2005, 03:46 AM
Do sugar carbs turn into fat more easily than dietary fiber carbs?

Carbs that come from dietary fiber are not readily used by the body for energy, although this is determined by the type of fiber that is consumed (soluble/insoluble), but that is another topic altogether. Calorie balance at the end of the day will be the determining factor as to whether you gain or lose weight, not the type of carbs you are eating.

Hatred
07-12-2005, 10:21 AM
LOL @ "Voodoo people".

mickyjune26
07-12-2005, 10:22 AM
Thanks. I'll be doing more research on carbs in the future. I wish I could take a nutrition class. Until then, I bought "Optimum Sports Nutrition" by Dr. ?michael? Colgun

mickyjune26
07-12-2005, 10:45 AM
I would have to admit, I am at times a realist-voodoo-mutant.

"Come join us! We have fake logic-science!!"

Slim Schaedle
07-12-2005, 03:31 PM
Thanks. I'll be doing more research on carbs in the future. I wish I could take a nutrition class. Until then, I bought "Optimum Sports Nutrition" by Dr. ?michael? Colgun
Even your basic college nutrition classes do a pretty cruddy job at beginning to decipher sports nutrition

mickyjune26
07-12-2005, 03:33 PM
bummer. Let's start a weight-lifting college.

Holto
07-12-2005, 03:35 PM
At Large University

mickyjune26
07-12-2005, 03:38 PM
man, I am eating my words today. ;)
good call.

bradley
07-12-2005, 07:01 PM
Just grab some old college textbooks and start wading through them. You can start off with some basic anatomy and physiology and then work your way up to Biochemistry. Use the internet to help explain confusing concepts, terms, etc. There is no quick answer to learning about the body and how it functions, especially on a cellular level.

mickyjune26
07-12-2005, 07:08 PM
These wannabebigforums are great for learning. Thanks all for helping out so much.

CarlP
07-12-2005, 07:28 PM
Just grab some old college textbooks and start wading through them. You can start off with some basic anatomy and physiology and then work your way up to Biochemistry. Use the internet to help explain confusing concepts, terms, etc. There is no quick answer to learning about the body and how it functions, especially on a cellular level.

I learned a ton of useful for bodybuilding info from an AP Biology book in high school.

Slim Schaedle
07-12-2005, 07:32 PM
Even your basic college nutrition classes do a pretty cruddy job at beginning to decipher sports nutrition
I will add that alot of it probably depends on the instructor. Get an instructor who is not fitness minded and simply goes along with the grain, and you'll learn why high protein is bad for you and why you don't need supplements.