PDA

View Full Version : Really Need Help

BigCLO
03-07-2005, 10:37 AM
Hi everyone, I'm new to all this so I figure I'll ask the experts. I'm 6'1" 260 lbs and not muscular at all. My question to you all is how do I get rid of my stomach. I mean I weigh alot, but my arms, legs and everything else on my body is thin. But if you were see me you would think I was a fat guy. Also my stomach isn't hard like some of the big guys I often see. Mine is like jello, real soft. Is it a differet type of fat or do I need surgery or something? Any and all help is gladly appreciated.

AdmiralDan
03-07-2005, 10:43 AM
start wbb1. read the "what a bodybuilder eats" sticky in diet and nutrition, and eat those types of food. multiply your weight by 13 and that is how many calories you should be consuming. get at least 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight. 20-30 percent of your calories should come from good fats. the rest from carbs. start with some cardio, not an insane amount so that you can increase if necessary.

you don't need surgery, just some hard work, dedication, and some knowledge

also before you ask, you don't need any supplements

oh yeah, you should aim to lose about a pound a week. more than that and you will be losing muscle as well as fat

crazedwombat
03-07-2005, 10:46 AM
:withstupi

a good quick summary. plus read up all you can on this site. lots of good stuff

EJFan
03-07-2005, 11:37 AM
Hi everyone, I'm new to all this so I figure I'll ask the experts. I'm 6'1" 260 lbs and not muscular at all. My question to you all is how do I get rid of my stomach. I mean I weigh alot, but my arms, legs and everything else on my body is thin. But if you were see me you would think I was a fat guy. Also my stomach isn't hard like some of the big guys I often see. Mine is like jello, real soft. Is it a differet type of fat or do I need surgery or something? Any and all help is gladly appreciated.

it's not possible to target fat-loss so you can't JUST ditch the belly fat. i don't know if it's an old wives tale or not, but i've always heard that the first fat you gain is the last fat you'll lose.

i know a lot o' guys that look like what you describe. my personal theory is that it's from genetics and carb-overload. as far as i know, breads bloat you... and you're predisposed to carry fat in particular areas (mine was in my thighs/lower abs).

in my opinion, if you have fat to dispose of, you have to work the whole body to do so. add muscle mass, eat properly, do cardio work and it'll go away in due course. and like crazedwombat said... read the threads, these people are wise.

CarlP
03-07-2005, 08:17 PM
It's not a wive's tale. Generally, men carry more fat around the stomach, and women around the hips and thighs. There are exceptions, but that will probably be some of the last visible fat to go away.

EJFan
03-07-2005, 08:43 PM
...and women around the hips and thighs...

you callin' me a woman?!?!?! :swear:

j/k. ;)

CarlP
03-07-2005, 08:48 PM
:D That's why I used the word generally.

Built
03-07-2005, 10:45 PM
Too many carbs, not enough lifting. Remarkably enough, cardio alone won't get rid of it. Case in point: ever see a fat middle-aged man out jogging, with skinny legs and a gut? That's why he looks that way. Jogging, wrong diet (usually too many carbs/calories/beers), not enough/any heavy lifting, especially heavy compound movements like squats, deads, bench...

Fix your diet and your exercise programme, and the gut will go. It might take a while, but it'll go.

:)