PDA

View Full Version : Concentrating too much on diet....

Collegekid
03-07-2005, 11:28 PM
I'm bulking, and I've been realizing that I'm concentrating way too much on my diet and not enough on actually working out.

Don't get me wrong, diet is obviously crucial, but I spend hours planning on the next days meals when I should be concentrating on improving my routine.

I guess I'm writing this just as much to get it off my chest and not really for advice, but has anyone else experienced this?

It sorta just hit me the other night when I realized how much time and effort I was spending on organizing my diet but at the same time I haven't been making any gains in the gym.

thajeepster
03-07-2005, 11:41 PM
actually, your gains in the gym should be a reflection of how well you are planning your diet. Youve got it backwards... your not gonna get anywhere unless you fuel yourself properly, but to save time, figure out your diet on the weekends and make your meals then, save em in tupperware, and just eat what you said you would eat the weekend before.

smalls
03-08-2005, 02:29 AM
There comes a point where worrying too much can be negative to your gains. Worrying about eating too clean may also be inhibiting you from getting adaquate cals. If your not progressing in the gym I would suggest increasing your intensity and eating more.

JesseM
03-08-2005, 09:28 AM
I know exactly what your saying. I had/have the same problem, it's hard to give equal concentration to both areas. I used to try to bulk eating clean; mainly chicken breast (too dry and $$) oats (too big of a "chore") and tuna, it was repititous and really boring to me. Since I've stopped worrying about eating so clean I've been able to eat more food and enjoy myself, most important I'm gaining weight. Just to let you know I get most of my carbs now from bagels, bread, and cereal. Protein from milk, peanut butter, ground beef, and whey. Fats from peanut butter, olive oil, avocado, flax. Simple, tasty and cheap and if I feel like eating carl's jr. pizza or taqueria I'm there no worries.

mikren
03-08-2005, 09:50 AM
I too had the same problem...trying to bulk and stay real clean on the diet...that was too difficult for me. I never gained an once and no gains in the gym either. I found staying too clean on diet I couldn't get enough cals in me. Now....get outta my way, I'm freakin eating, still clean, but cheating alot more and have no problems meeting calorie count... put on 10lbs in about 3 weeks time and have made great gains in the gym. Mind you the fat is really starting to pour on me ;)

I'll give it another 3 weeks ans start cutting some fat.

AllUp
03-08-2005, 10:00 AM
I'm w/jeep..

Jot down multiple meal plans into a notebook and pick one when you wake up, problem solved. I'd have about 4-6 so daily dieting doesnt get repetitive. Break the bags contents down in fitday and have them around the same cal range. Allso pre-pack the meals in the weekend (takes like an hour) and put them in freezer bags so you just grab your food and go during the weekdays. Harder to cheat when you already have a set amount of food bagged and ready to eat opposed to going out and buying it, or making it every day(where you're more likely to "see something on the way" or "throw a bit extra into the lunch bag" before you go).

Geeper
03-08-2005, 10:10 AM
I don't think you can concentrate too much on diet, on the other hand I think we all concentrate way too much on routines when we should just be getting in there and doing the basic lifts and not worrying about the latest bi or chest exercise.

Vido
03-08-2005, 12:31 PM
I'm bulking, and I've been realizing that I'm concentrating way too much on my diet and not enough on actually working out.

Don't get me wrong, diet is obviously crucial, but I spend hours planning on the next days meals when I should be concentrating on improving my routine.

Neither your diet or your training should take up much time out of your daily life. You spend HOURS planning the next day's meals? WTF. I usually plan my diet out the night before as well...it takes about 5 minutes. Add this to the 0 minutes I spend thinking about training and I'm only "wasting" 5 minutes/day.

Stop making things so complicated. Eat big, lift big, end of story.

Built
03-08-2005, 12:32 PM
Yep.

:)