PDA

View Full Version : Best late-night low carb snacks

trfe
03-09-2005, 06:28 AM
I find myself starving between 10-12. I usually go to sleep around 1ish so I'll have a shake about 12:30-1:30, but what would be a good snack without eatting too many carbs between 10-12. Tuna and string cheese are things i have had in the past, any other ideas?
Thanks

JSully
03-09-2005, 06:50 AM
Chicken and FF Cheddar Cheese
A Turkey Burger (98%) FF with (or without) FF Cheddar Cheese.
1/2-1 Cup FF Cottage Cheese
6-12 egg whites w/FF Cheddar Cheese

I like cheese :D

trfe
03-09-2005, 08:43 AM
Ahhh great calls... Going to pick that **** up today.
Good lookin' out man.

Chicken and FF Cheddar Cheese
A Turkey Burger (98%) FF with (or without) FF Cheddar Cheese.
1/2-1 Cup FF Cottage Cheese
6-12 egg whites w/FF Cheddar Cheese

I like cheese :D

_-_v_-_
03-09-2005, 09:06 AM
No reason to avoid carbs at night -- unless, of course, you're avoiding carbs throughout the day.

But then, IMO, there's no reason to do that, either.

Holto
03-09-2005, 09:07 AM
YES

mods please clean up this low carb non-sense

Max-Mex
03-09-2005, 09:22 AM
well, how about low cals then.....Sugar free jello!! That gets my vote!

trfe
03-09-2005, 10:14 AM
So fellas. There is no reason to slow down my carb consumption at night? I always thought the addage was to not eat carbs after 8pm because they are not used?

Is this way off?

No reason to avoid carbs at night -- unless, of course, you're avoiding carbs throughout the day.

But then, IMO, there's no reason to do that, either.

ReelBigFish
03-09-2005, 10:32 AM
Yeah I would def. lose the shake and get some whole food in you. I would starve if I tried to have shakes.

Holto
03-09-2005, 11:43 AM
So fellas. There is no reason to slow down my carb consumption at night? I always thought the addage was to not eat carbs after 8pm because they are not used?

Is this way off?

yes

weight loss is determined by energy balance

cals in VS cals out

AllUp
03-09-2005, 12:04 PM

Is this way off?
Simple carbs arent bad around a workout.

Its not like the movie gremlins where ya cant eat after [insert time here] :). If you work out at night or late afternoon I don't see a problem with it.Otherwise I would personally I opt for something either sugar free or with Whole grain oats/bran before bed, with some kind of additional protein source in the mix.

As Holto stated above - in the grand scheme of things - it's all about the cals.

Built
03-09-2005, 01:25 PM
Try cottage cheese. The casein is a slowly digested protein, and you'll stay nourished longer than you will with a fast protein like whey.

Vido
03-09-2005, 01:39 PM
yes

weight loss is determined by energy balance

cals in VS cals out

We've already determined in other threads though that "weight" loss needs to be distinguished from "fat" loss.

I know you CAN eat carbs at night, but personally I don't really see a purpose unless your training is also at night.

Built
03-09-2005, 01:45 PM
I'm with Vito here.

This does seem to be individual, but I keep my evening carbs to lifting days (or cheat meals... <whistles innocently...>)

Relentless
03-09-2005, 01:54 PM
Holto lets not turn this into some kind of anti-low-carb jihad.

To answer trfe's original post, I'll second Built's suggestion of cocheese as a low/moderate carb snack. Max-Mex also has a good suggestion for something that will fill you up without calories but be careful if you don't do well with aspartame... sugar free jello is sweetened with it, usually.

other ideas:
tuna + salsa (mmm Mmm Mmm)
celery
lunch meat (sliced turkey/etc.)
any other kind of meat/leftovers you have around (chicken breasts, burgers, etc.)
pickles
scrambled eggs
olives
macadamia nuts
natty peanut butter

trfe
03-10-2005, 06:37 AM
Anyone eat those non-meat burgers everynow and then? I just got some boca burgers, to give them a try. They are soy, have maybe 11 protein compared to a burgers 18, with about 2 fat compared to burgers 10...do any of you eat that stuff to keep the fat down?

They taste a little funky to eat plain, but with salsa or a little ketchup with a drop of tabasco they would taste almost like a burger.

Holto lets not turn this into some kind of anti-low-carb jihad.

To answer trfe's original post, I'll second Built's suggestion of cocheese as a low/moderate carb snack. Max-Mex also has a good suggestion for something that will fill you up without calories but be careful if you don't do well with aspartame... sugar free jello is sweetened with it, usually.

other ideas:
tuna + salsa (mmm Mmm Mmm)
celery
lunch meat (sliced turkey/etc.)
any other kind of meat/leftovers you have around (chicken breasts, burgers, etc.)
pickles
scrambled eggs
olives
macadamia nuts
natty peanut butter

Shao-LiN
03-10-2005, 07:04 AM
I just don't obsess when I eat carbs...as long as you aren't drinking gobs of coke at night, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

What the original poster is worrying over is the "carbs at night will automatically turn into fat" myth, which isn't true. While some may not see the point in eating carbs in the evening, it is perfectly fine to do.

dissipate
03-10-2005, 09:48 AM
if i'm feeling munchy and will go mad without munching on something, i eat corn crispbread. (i'm cutting)