PDA

View Full Version : Newbie to powerlifting

Gordo
03-09-2005, 09:02 AM
Just started a westside routine and want to post my workouts. Quick background, I am 25 and have been lifting since I was 14. First four years were on my own with little guidance. Made good gains. Then went to college and worked out with some strong guys who knew what they were doing. Made great gains, passing most of the guys I worked with. After graduating I still kept hitting the weights and made good gains. About a year and half ago I tore my ACL and had reconstructive surgery. I put on about 20 pounds after and couldn't lift for about three months. Once I got back into the gym I was sick with how weak I was. Really got after it with my upper body and hit a 400 bench raw at about 210. I have been reading a lot about Westside and am going at it balls to the wall. Found a modified version of Westside that is designed for athletes. I now coach football and want to try it before I give the routine to my kids. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I don't have any number goals, just to keep jacking the weight, get my knee back in shape and to compete in the future at a weight of 198.

Routine
Monday- max effort upper
Wednesday- max effort lower
Friday- repetition upper/speed day
only one lower day because of sprint work on off days.

Gordo
03-09-2005, 09:03 AM
Tuesday 3/8 First day of new routine
Close Grip flat bench- warm up bar x 20, 135 x 10, 185 x 8, 225 x 5, 275 x 4
max set 285 x 3. Should have went heavier on last set. 275 was an accident, thought it would be much heavier and was using it as my 3 rep max.
Incline db- 70x10x3 LIGHT
Bent db rows- 60x10x2 Thought I would get a good lift on the second set and didnít
80x8x2 Felt much better and I had to work for eight good reps
Face Pulls- No clue on weight since the numbers are worn off and they are only
numbered not actual weight. First time doing them, 2 sets of 12. Really like them
Preachers-75x8x2 LIGHT

Gordo
03-09-2005, 09:05 AM
3/9
Squats (raw)- 135x8, 185x5, 225x3, 245x3 Very light last set. Need to really focus on
pressing with both legs, found myself working with my left more with 225. Focused on it last set and weight was light. Still testing my knee out
Power Shrugs- 225x8, 315x6, 375x6x2 Felt good. May have had the pins too low and
couldnít get legs under it on first rep. After first rep could get better form and really
explode on them.
Pull throughs- Went up to a full stack for six, bent legs and had to lean slightly. Went
lighter after last set and went with straight legs. Felt good, but not a replacement for
AMís
Step ups- 135x8x2 Felt good. Kept good balance on all reps and really exploded up.

ElPietro
03-09-2005, 09:13 AM
Is this going to be a regular record of your lifts over time? If so I'll move this thread to the journals section.

I'm assuming it is, since I don't see a question in here, but will wait for your reply.

Gordo
03-09-2005, 09:27 AM
Is this going to be a regular record of your lifts over time? If so I'll move this thread to the journals section.

I'm assuming it is, since I don't see a question in here, but will wait for your reply.

Yes, I didn't know where to put it or how to get into the logs. Thanks a lot

ElPietro
03-09-2005, 09:28 AM
No worries, it's moved. I left a redirect in the plifting forum in case you get lost. ;)

Gordo
03-11-2005, 01:29 PM
Speed Bench 7x3@225
225x10-wanted to see how many I could get after the other sets. Ten was easy and I probably had five or six left but my pace was slowing down and I didnít want to burn outon them

Skull Crushers
115x5
115x5
115x5-need to bump another ten next week, I am way off on my tri exercises.

Pulldowns
150x8-way too light
180x8
180x8-nice last set, bump ten next week

Lateral Raise
15x10
15x10
15x10-just some light sets to hit the medial head

Overall good workout. Need to raise the weight on my speed days for bench. Almost
threw the weight out of my hands and my back kept coming off the bench. Happy with
the workout since it was my first day doing this routine. Good starting point for each
exercise.