PDA

View Full Version : Carb Question

Shobe
03-09-2005, 09:38 AM
Ok guys, I am very confused/unsure. Do you guys completely stay away from all bleached carbs except post workout?? Or do you eat them with your meals too? Because #1 I"m getting tired of brown rice, wheat bread etc. #2 I feel very tired often because I don't eat any carbs besides brown rice, oatmeal & wheat bread. Am I supossed to be eating white carbs with my meals? I'm just all around confused with carbs. I'm afraid to eat certain ones, but at the same time, I feel my body needing them, because I have low energy from cutting them from my diet. Please help.

muscle chic
03-09-2005, 10:05 AM
Add in some sweetpotato or yams? or possibly add some frozen strawberries to your protein shake. Bananas are good too.

Built
03-09-2005, 11:09 AM
You might want to up your good fats a bit, too.

Anthony
03-09-2005, 11:26 AM
You have a lot of other carb sources you could be using. Potatoes and pasta are my favorites. :)

AdmiralDan
03-09-2005, 11:50 AM
You might want to up your good fats a bit, too.

how will this help him with his carb question????

Built
03-09-2005, 11:57 AM
He said he doesn't feel any energy. This could be a result of his fats being too low. On a low-carb diet, you need higher fats, and a lot of people find this out the hard way.

Shobe
03-09-2005, 12:42 PM
Anthony, what potatoes are you referring to. And when do you eat them? Because I"m under the impression that, I should only eat white potatoes post workout? Is this true, or can I eat them other times too?

Anthony
03-09-2005, 01:05 PM
Well, you can eat white potatoes or sweet potatoes, it's not going to make that much difference. Both are complex carbs, but sweet potato has more vitamins/minerals. I currently eat 2lbs of white potatoes a day, spread between 4 meals.

I'm not a huge fan of low carb diets, especially if you are just starting out. I'd much rather see someone keep things balanced and reduce calories and/or increase aerobic activity. If that doesn't work, then start looking at alternatives. Don't take this the wrong way, but it is my opinion that you should not be messing around with low carb diets if you are not well versed in macronutrients, counting calories, what foods are good/bad, etc.

Keep things as simple as possible until they don't work anymore. By the time they stop working, you'll have learned enough to make an easier transition into something more complicated.

Built
03-09-2005, 01:13 PM
Actually, your reasons for not being a fan of low carb diets are my reasons for liking them - you don't have to pay attention to macronutrients at all other than restricting carbohydrate-dense food.

I was overweight and struggling with it for almost 20 years. Low carb is how I dropped 30 pounds AND got this weight to finally stay off. Body composition was something else - for that, you need strategy. I've been learning these strategies as I've moved along, and these strategies all require carbs and big heavy pieces of iron. :)

Balance isn't an input - it's an outcome. If what you're doing is working, it's balanced ... for YOU. If it isn't working, it isn't balanced, no matter WHAT genius came up with it.

Further complicating the matter is the fact that what works FOR YOU may be different from what works for another person, and it can actually change over time as your activity and fitness level changes, and as you age.

Bloody pain that it isn't exactly the same for everybody. :rolleyes:

Shobe
03-09-2005, 02:18 PM
I dont follow a low carb diet. I just watch which carbs I eat. I eat oatmeal, whole wheat bread, brown rice, Kashi cereals. So it isn' that I don't eat carbs.

Built
03-09-2005, 02:22 PM
Me neither - but I find I have to watch the timing and types of my macronutrients. Sounds like you do, too.

neartaigh
03-09-2005, 02:24 PM
I dont follow a low carb diet. I just watch which carbs I eat. I eat oatmeal, whole wheat bread, brown rice, Kashi cereals. So it isn' that I don't eat carbs.

Well, Shobe, you need to figure out what benefit you are trying to get from your carb content. If it`s energy, do you want a quick shot of energy or lasting energy? Are you trying to get high fiber?

Once you figure out what you want out of your carbs, you can define which ones will get you there.

For example, I don`t do well with high glycemic carbs (table sugar etc...) but I do want slow released energy (ie, glycogen) and fiber. Therefore, oatmeal and yams are right up my alley, but chocolate cake and rice don`t really work for me.

See what I`m saying?

Anthony
03-09-2005, 02:35 PM

Then don't worry about getting carbs from different sources. Consistency > Perfection.