PDA

View Full Version : Nervous about starting bulk..

Woodward
03-09-2005, 10:42 AM
I don't want to drag on a long story, but basically since last March I have been lifting on a regular schedule, and I have been on a strict diet, and have gone from 247 to 193, losing alot of fat, which was my main focus. I have now gotten down to about the weight I want. I have been on a 1600 calorie diet, while getting in about 150g of protein a day, I drink over a gallon of water a day. I live on chicken breast and tuna mainly. I have a clean diet overall, but now I feel that my weight is down, and I want to bulk. I am a bit nervous about upping my calories, mainly because I don't quite understand how it works. I now can see the lines of a six pack, and definition, but I an paranoid if I eat more to bulk, I will lose it? If I go over calories of what my body needs, will that extra go to fat at all of lean mass? I hit the gym 4 days a week, and I am very active.. hope this makes sense. I'll take any pointers.

AdmiralDan
03-09-2005, 10:49 AM
slowly add calories. two reasons. first, you have been starving your body with 1600 calories and your metabolism is probably a lot lower than it should be. second, slowly increasing will allow you to grow at a rate you like. if you want to keep your six pack, you will gain mass rather slowly compared to a typical bulk. start by adding 2-300 calories if you are that nervous. give it a week and add another 2-300 if you feel that your body can handle it without losing your six pack. keep evalutating your progress every week or two and adjust your calories as necessary

Geeper
03-09-2005, 12:23 PM
I'm kind of in the same boat as you...275 down to 185 and was scared ****less of putting it all back on right away.

I started with little cheats here and there to break up my super strick diet and found I only really gained about 5 pounds back, and I'm not convinced it was fat. SO I started have a cheat once a week... stayed the same weight. Upped my cals to 2000, stayed the same weight and put on some muscle and by doing that droped a little more fat. Upped my cals to a less strick diet of between 2200-2400 a day and you know what, I'm not back in fat land. (BTW I'll stay in this range till after the summer then it's gonna be a free for all clean diet bulk)

So what I'm trying to say is it's not only your eating habits that have changed, (if that was all you would put the weight back on in no time), now your actively watching what you put in your mouth, you probably exercise more, have gained some muscle which eats lots of cals ect, your whole life has changed.... and your body has changed.

SO I'm a lot like you and really scared to start eating BIG like a BB should, but after this summer I'll start to play with it, and I'm sure like you, I'll be surprize how much we can eat without putting the weight back on. Christ, lifting 4 days a week and cardio 3, I should be able to eat about double of my intake! But I just can't believe that yet. There's guys on here that eat 6000+ cals!!!!

I'm just trying to give a little support, casue I know where you are at mentally...... we'll overcome

EJFan
03-09-2005, 12:34 PM
i can't HONESTLY answer your question either... but i'm with both you guys. i also came down from fat-land and am working on bulking but the caloric intake scares me too.

like admiraldan said, add 'em slowly and learn your body.

it's good to know there are lots of people in the same boat.

ZebraShu
03-09-2005, 01:17 PM
Why dont you try Ultimate Diet 2.0 mass version with little/no fat gain?? Its a body recomposition diet

try http://www.bodyrecomposition.com to check it out

Ive only done the leaning up version, and the guy knows his stuff inside and out

Woodward
03-09-2005, 02:33 PM
Thanks alot for the responses guys, good to see I'm not the only one in this boat.. I have read a bit from body recomposition and it seems very informative. I will definately keep doing my homework on this, and try adding cal's slowly.

crazedwombat
03-10-2005, 06:43 AM
150g of protein isnt enough. you should get about 1g per lb of body weight. try to take in more protein. add calories slowly and eat more meals a day. if you're 1600 cals, add 200 to 1800 cals for 2 weeks then add another 200. I dont know how tall you are but at 194 your maintain should be ~2500 cals. since 1600 is what your body is used to, your metabolism is down. eating more throughout the day gradually will fix the metabolism and when normal you'll be able to eat 2500 cals to maintain.