PDA

View Full Version : Same food Day in and Day Out?

ironworker
03-10-2005, 07:24 AM
I have seen multiple threads with sentences like: "Is this a good diet for me" and they go on to list there daily foods intake like this:

Breakfast: 1 cup Oats carbs/ protein/ Cal
(You get the point)

Anyway, when someone is typing this daily routine for everyone to analyze, is this what they plan on eating for the entire cut or as an everyday diet?
Some folks don't even mention cutting and just ask if its a good diet.
How the hell could anyone eat the same thing day in and day out?
If I had to make a diet like that for any reason I would be setting myself up to fail because I can't eat the same thing more than 2 days in a row.

I just don't see the point of even asking if its a good diet unless thats all your planning to eat for the duration of what ever.

Am I missing something? :bash:

Rich

no regrets
03-10-2005, 07:37 AM
I eat the same thing day in and day out. you get used to it.

J450n
03-10-2005, 07:46 AM
It's a matter of varying it. I don't eat the same day in day out, though there are days where i will have eaten exactly the same as other days if not the previous. A far stricter diet is obviously more likely when cutting than bulking. Some folks grab and eat whenever. Comes down to your goals and aims.

ozzyman
03-10-2005, 08:01 AM
yeah i generally buy in bulk and eat the same thing for a week or so than change it up....It's much easier to track your calories or throw in a hundred extra calories here and there when you always eat the same thing.....

ironworker
03-10-2005, 08:45 AM
I had no idea! Even though that blows me away I can understand why now, itís much easier to count the calories if you eat the exact same thing day after day.

I have to say that I have made some goals for myself and it would be much easier to figure out the amount of protein carbs and calories if I ate at least something really similar everyday.

Makes sense now.

AdmiralDan
03-10-2005, 09:33 AM
it isn't as bad as you think. you change things up from time to time but as long as you like what you are eating its not bad at all

dissipate
03-10-2005, 09:47 AM
i'm not that fussy with taste so eating the same thing for almost 7 days a week is fine with me. cheat days keep me sane.

thajeepster
03-10-2005, 10:12 AM
the same thing day in and day out is fine, thats what different spices are for, doesnt mean it has to taste the same everyday, i like some variety.

neartaigh
03-10-2005, 10:26 AM
Yep. Same thing day in and day out. I switch up equivalent protien sources sometimes-- ie, chicken for turkey or tuna etc....

But for me, training requires food to be sustenance rather than enjoyment. Cheat meals once a week allow for the enjoyment thing. My life is so busy anyway that knowing what I`m going to eat just makes things more efficient. ;)

Woodward
03-10-2005, 10:34 AM
Yep. Same thing day in and day out. I switch up equivalent protien sources sometimes-- ie, chicken for turkey or tuna etc....

But for me, training requires food to be sustenance rather than enjoyment. Cheat meals once a week allow for the enjoyment thing. My life is so busy anyway that knowing what I`m going to eat just makes things more efficient. ;) Same with me, I eat to stay alive, same thing everyday, no cheat days. Nothing I eat is for the enjoyment of taste. It is worth it though, for sure.

spencerjrus
03-10-2005, 11:01 AM
I try and eat exactly the same thing every day, unfortunately my lifestyle sort of puts a cramp on that so I have to mix it up a little bit. As long as you reach your carb/protein/fat/calorie goals though I don't really see what difference it makes in what you eat, variety can be nice.

NormanNormal
03-10-2005, 11:13 AM
I also eat the same thing day in and day out.

getfit
03-10-2005, 11:17 AM
yep same thing everyday!

body
03-10-2005, 11:22 AM
Apart from one or two foods. My diet is very varied, but i have the advatnge of developing new food products so its my job to try lots of food.

for a example today i have eaten about 40 different foods of which about 20 of them I will never eat again. Ableit some of the portions are small. but its is variety in the diet.

Vido
03-10-2005, 12:01 PM
Same with me, I eat to stay alive, same thing everyday, no cheat days. Nothing I eat is for the enjoyment of taste. It is worth it though, for sure.

How is it "worth it" to never enjoy the taste of food? What are you accomplishing by such a feat? :confused:

As for the original question, I eat a lot of the same stuff daily, but I would say it's rare that my diet is exactly the same as the day before.

spencerjrus
03-10-2005, 12:05 PM
How is it "worth it" to never enjoy the taste of food? What are you accomplishing by such a feat? :confused:

Discipline = Accomplishments = Respect. A better question is what ARENT you getting besides enjoyment of your food.

Vido
03-10-2005, 12:11 PM
Discipline = Accomplishments = Respect. A better question is what ARENT you getting besides enjoyment of your food.

Enjoying food and eating well aren't mutually exclusive.

For that matter, enjoying food and accomplishing goals aren't either.

Owen
03-17-2005, 11:35 AM
I eat the same thing every day pretty much. To me eating is a hassle. I dont like to sit down over a meal and smack my lips and all that. My brother does; taste and variety are very important to him. He will spend over a hundred dollars on balsamic vinegar for instance. I prefer for a meal to take about 15 minutes to prepare, eat, and clean up after :-)

Geeper
03-17-2005, 11:50 AM
I'm glad I'm not the only one!!!! Same dozen or so things everyday.

I do cheat once a week so that helps, I was also a fat 280+ pounds at the age of 32, so I always tell myself I had 32 years to eat anything I wanted and look what it did to me, if I wanted to live another 32 years I had to change things up quite drastically. And I have, 2 years later, 90 pounds lighter and 100x stronger.

But you can also injoy the same thing everyday. Chicken, turkey, and shakes are all pretty tasty and you start mixing things in weird ways. (My wife always laughs about my "interesting" combos) Latest thing I'm hooked on is 1 cup oats uncooked mixed with 1 cup of milk. Let sit for 10-15 minutes.....mummmmm

EdgarMex
03-17-2005, 11:57 AM
Enjoying food and eating well aren't mutually exclusive.

For that matter, enjoying food and accomplishing goals aren't either.

That's what cheat days are for :D

But seriuously, I eat the same things Monday-Saturday, I try to pick foods that I enjoy eating but that I know are good for me and that fit within the macro ratios I've set. Usually there will be one or more items I don't like eating but that help to acomplish my goals, so I eat them and try no to make too much fuzz about the taste. Sundays are the days I say "screw the diet" and I eat whatever I feel like eating. I know this is not optimal, but there's more to life than lifting and dieting (unless you're a pro BBer) :)

IZich
03-17-2005, 12:03 PM
Only God knows what life would be like without cheat days.

Atomical
03-17-2005, 01:35 PM
How the hell could anyone eat the same thing day in and day out?
If I had to make a diet like that for any reason I would be setting myself up to fail because I can't eat the same thing more than 2 days in a row.

I just don't see the point of even asking if its a good diet unless thats all your planning to eat for the duration of what ever.

Am I missing something? :bash:

Rich

Yeah, you're missing the most basic part of eating which is to survive. If you find something that works there is really no reason to dawdle. I get the idea that you're asking if most of us go to McDonalds at least once a week. You can find variety in healthy foods. Outside of that there is fairly little that I am open to eating. Americans have the worst self control. Find pleasure in a hobby besides eating.

Built
03-17-2005, 01:56 PM
I eat 6 meals a day.

4 of 'em never vary. Two of 'em do.

The four, I consider to be made of people kibble.

BCC
03-17-2005, 02:16 PM
I've been doing it for years with small breaks. You get used to it.

IZich
03-17-2005, 02:47 PM
I eat 6 meals a day.

4 of 'em never vary. Two of 'em do.

The four, I consider to be made of people kibble.

people kibble. i like that term :]
makes me feel cute and fuzzy.
too bad i'm not either. well if you count body hair then... :D

fixationdarknes
03-17-2005, 03:21 PM
I eat about 7-8 smaller meals a day, in which my dinner varies every day. Other than that, I eat the same thing every day. The only thing I'm getting sick of is my oatmeal (I can't stand eating it every morning, sometimes it makes me sick just thinking about it).

Vapour Trails
03-17-2005, 03:38 PM
I eat the same things every day: pizza, fried chicken, hamburgers

getfit
03-17-2005, 03:42 PM
I eat the same things every day: pizza, fried chicken, hamburgers
wow that's one hellava diet you got going there!

[[[----]]]
03-17-2005, 03:52 PM
Wow! thats an amazing diet. Isnt it called the See-food diet?

thajeepster
03-17-2005, 04:13 PM
I eat about 7-8 smaller meals a day, in which my dinner varies every day. Other than that, I eat the same thing every day. The only thing I'm getting sick of is my oatmeal (I can't stand eating it every morning, sometimes it makes me sick just thinking about it).

I rotate my breakfast between oats/omelet to healthy french toast/egg to pancakes... Youll find you wont get so tired of them if you rotate days. Although i could eat any of the 3 all day long and still want more.

ironworker
03-18-2005, 07:20 AM
After all the replys I took a few days of calculating everything on fitday and decided what food I liked the best that had the lowest cals and made a diet.
I have been eating the same thing everyday for almost a week now and everyone is right it aint so bad.

I did have a very important business meeting yesterday and ate all kinds of stuff I shouldnt have :cry: but now I am back on track.

I was dissapointed to see I hadnt lost any weight in the past 3 days because I have been losing about 2 lbs every 3-4 days.
as you all know, it aint easy cutting, especially not when you have to lose 35 lbs of fat, Geeper, your the man! you took control of your life and did what you needed to do, I would love to hear your story of how you lost all the weight.

Rich

Hercule
03-18-2005, 10:26 AM
Since I'm cutting, I eat the same thing every day. Same foods, same portions, even same time. When I start bulking it'll be the same way. Like others have said, you get used to it. Even my cheat days are structured :p.

Owen
03-19-2005, 08:21 AM
Another thing I like about sticking to one menu is how much easier grocery shopping is. I know where eveything is at the store, the approximate cost, where everything goes in my kitchen etc...