PDA

View Full Version : Grip on the barbell for Bench

dms
03-10-2005, 09:35 AM
How do u guys hold it....i was holding the barbell like i would a DB with my thumb over the bar....then the other day some guy was spottin me and he said to put my thumb not over the bar and more to the bottom of it.....He says it works ur chest more?

is this true?

ryuage
03-10-2005, 09:37 AM
no

Gordo
03-10-2005, 10:26 AM
? Think about it, moving your thumb on the bar works chest more. Didn't realize your thumb was connected to your chest.

Relentless
03-10-2005, 10:29 AM
? Think about it, moving your thumb on the bar works chest more. Didn't realize your thumb was connected to your chest.

yup

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/PectoralSternal/BBBenchPress.html

I've looked, and I can't find any reference to the thumb even being a dynamic stabilizer to the bench press. ;)

moving your thumb like that also means you have a greater chance of accidentally dropping the weight on your face. Which would probably hurt.

spencerjrus
03-10-2005, 11:05 AM
I always stick at least one thumb out, guess it must be a nervous twitch, I don't think it really matters.

Sidior
03-10-2005, 12:09 PM
I wouldnt say how you hold the bar matters at all regarding how you hit your chest, unless its how wide you hold it....or if your using reverse grip

MM
03-10-2005, 12:18 PM
Sometimes I stick my thumb out when I'm really struggling, but it's nothing I do intentionally.

MM
03-10-2005, 12:18 PM
Oh yeah, and it's not true.

Big Bas
03-10-2005, 12:39 PM
i curl my toes while i bench press to get an extra pump

DNL
03-10-2005, 04:40 PM
may be with that kinda grip, your mind knows that if you mess up you're screwed. So i'm guessing your mind is making your chest push harder. And also, the bar is resting not only on your palms, but also on your thumbs as well.... OOOOh i may have solve the mystery of the missing thumbs hahaha

Chrispy
03-10-2005, 04:51 PM
wait. can you give a better description of where you put your thumb. idk, i just kinda grab it. a hook grip i guess you could say. my fingers over it and my thumb under. wrists straight. the way you guys are saying seems weird to me. like it's just resting in your palms. sounds like it would fall out easier if you miss.

fixationdarknes
03-10-2005, 04:53 PM
wait. can you give a better description of where you put your thumb. idk, i just kinda grab it. a hook grip i guess you could say. my fingers over it and my thumb under. wrists straight. the way you guys are saying seems weird to me. like it's just resting in your palms. sounds like it would fall out easier if you miss.

It would fall out much easier. That's why it's not recommended to do it that way. It could be the last exercise you ever do.