PDA

View Full Version : Best source of protein (low carb)

slapshot111
03-10-2005, 06:36 PM
Hi, this is the third day I've been recording everything I eat and I realized I only get about 25% the suggested daily amount of protein. I'm trying to keep a low carb diet and have managed to keep the daily %of carbs to under 7 every day. Do I need more protein if I don't eat carbs? If so, what is the best way to get protein without gaining any carbs?

GMCtrk
03-10-2005, 07:14 PM
Hi, this is the third day I've been recording everything I eat and I realized I only get about 25% the suggested daily amount of protein. I'm trying to keep a low carb diet and have managed to keep the daily %of carbs to under 7 every day. Do I need more protein if I don't eat carbs? If so, what is the best way to get protein without gaining any carbs?

whey
tuna
chicken
beef
turkey

Built
03-10-2005, 07:16 PM
Slap, how much do you weigh, and how much protein are you getting in? The guidelines are a little lower for keto ratios.

slapshot111
03-10-2005, 07:22 PM
I weigh 205 lbs am 6'0", I am 16 years old, and I get about 21 grams protein and 6 grams of carbs, 406 cals alltogether daily.

Jabberwocky
03-10-2005, 07:25 PM
Thats way too little. You need atleast 2,000 calories.

Built
03-10-2005, 07:25 PM
I weigh 205 lbs am 6'0", I am 16 years old, and I get about 21 grams protein and 6 grams of carbs, 406 cals alltogether daily.

In a whole day?

Why are you doing this?

I'm a middle-aged woman who weighs 60 lbs less than you, and I cut on anything less than 2100 cals a day.

???

slapshot111
03-10-2005, 07:26 PM
whey
tuna
chicken
beef
turkey

I was looking at some whey from 1fast400 and I browsed through a few and they all had signifigant amounts of carbs. Are there any specific ones with low carbs you can point out for me to save me the hassle of going through the entire list?

Built
03-10-2005, 07:28 PM
I'll repeat - WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS?

Your weight is not out of line for your height. Why low carbing, and why such low calories?

slapshot111
03-10-2005, 07:31 PM
In a whole day?

Why are you doing this?

I'm a middle-aged woman who weighs 60 lbs less than you, and I cut on anything less than 2100 cals a day.

???

Well an average day for me is about 2000 calories, and I am pretty active. I just started last week going on a low carb high protein diet, eating mostly lettuce, turkey, chicken, eggs, and I drink nothing but water and sometimes gatorade after hockey pratice. I dont believe its to much of a deficency.

slapshot111
03-10-2005, 07:34 PM
I'll repeat - WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS?

Your weight is not out of line for your height. Why low carbing, and why such low calories?

It is slightly out of line with my hieght and I'm trying to obtain a better shape, I have love handles and a belly that I really want to get rid of, and just excercise on my normal diet isn't cutting it.

Jabberwocky
03-10-2005, 08:37 PM
My whey has only 2 carbs per scoop, and I use Nitrean. Most protein powders are going to have a few carbs in them. If you are going for no carbs what so ever, just eat meat.

Built
03-10-2005, 08:52 PM
It is slightly out of line with my hieght and I'm trying to obtain a better shape, I have love handles and a belly that I really want to get rid of, and just excercise on my normal diet isn't cutting it.

Okay. Well, for cutting, usual guidelines are to go no lower than 15% of maintenance calories, or you'll mess yourself up by slowing down your metabolic rate. You'll also lose too much muscle mass, which you don't want - you want to lose mostly fat.

Are you lifting regularly? This'll help, AND it'll help you KEEP it off.

ReelBigFish
03-10-2005, 11:18 PM
dude stop doing what you're doing. I did the same **** unintentionally(sp?) to myself a year and a half ago..Trust me you don't want that. You're going to eat all your muscles away and be left with nothing but fat and bones. If you don't eat your body breaks down your muscles. you def. need to eat 2100 cals a day then when your progress slows then lower the cals a little or add more cardio but you can die from eating that little of cals.

abwowang
03-11-2005, 12:04 AM
uh.. 400 calories a day?!..
i dont believe that.. thats a lil sickening

ironworker
03-11-2005, 06:54 AM
See this is a great thread for me, I am in the exact same situation as this young man, I started adding in Whey to my diet, matter a fact I am going to drink my first shake in about 15 minutes after my blood cools down from working out :D

Slap, Do yourself a favor and listen to the people in this forum they know a hell of a lot more about it than we do.

Good Luck and get those Cals upped.

Rich

Holto
03-11-2005, 08:26 AM
if anybody is listening:

if you lift weights...don't go low carb !!!!

not only will your training suffer but you will NOT lose fat faster than a balanced diet with the same amount of cals

Built
03-11-2005, 10:00 AM
Holto -

Define low-carb.

Now define balanced.

vvv
03-11-2005, 10:11 AM

406 cals? living in Ethiopia? dude that is horrible ..lol

:windup:

(nuttin against Ethiopia, just using a stereotype here to get a point across)