PDA

View Full Version : Difficulty eating after a workout ?

SkinnySadMan
03-10-2005, 09:09 PM
I hope I'm not the only one here, but does anyone else here have a problem trying to bring down food into your belly after a workout ?

It seems that when I try to eat food after I finished working out I have some type of gag-feeling, like I want to barf. Is this normal ? Anyway to prevent this? :cry:

Before a workout, I eat a meal then wait 20-30 minutes until I start lifting.

Frankster
03-10-2005, 09:16 PM
try not eating so close to starting your workout. It does this to me sometimes on taxing exercises like squats or deads, just wait a little while until your stomach feels a bit better and drink your shake/pwo meal.

Shao-LiN
03-10-2005, 09:35 PM
I hope I'm not the only one here, but does anyone else here have a problem trying to bring down food into your belly after a workout ?

It seems that when I try to eat food after I finished working out I have some type of gag-feeling, like I want to barf. Is this normal ? Anyway to prevent this? :cry:

Before a workout, I eat a meal then wait 20-30 minutes until I start lifting.

Drink a shake.

Vitalize
03-10-2005, 11:19 PM
I wouldn't eat directly after a workout.
Wait 5 mins and have a protien shake and a banana...much better.
Try to eat about an hour or so after (or when you feel comfortable)
I usually manage to choke down some tuna (with coupious amounts of water) about 20 mins after my workout.

Vido
03-10-2005, 11:45 PM
Hopefully the meal you're eating before your workout is quite small, given how close it is to the actual workout.

After the workout, drink a shake, and then eat a meal when you're hungry (hopefully that's within a couple of hours anyway). Working out usually increases hunger, so I'd be surprised if you stayed "full" for a long time after your workout.

Manveet
03-10-2005, 11:49 PM
Working out usually increases hunger, so I'd be surprised if you stayed "full" for a long time after your workout.

I was always under the impression that any physical activity actually blunts hunger.

Vido
03-11-2005, 12:28 AM
I was always under the impression that any physical activity actually blunts hunger.

I know cardio blunts it for sure. You could be right in theory, but in practice pretty much everyone I know is always starving after a workout. It makes sense too. After a workout your muscle tissue has been broken down and is in desperate need of calories. I don't think that's the same mechanism as with cardio.

J450n
03-11-2005, 01:17 AM
I leave at least an hour or more before i do weights and leave it at least 30-60mins after - meal wise.

SkinnySadMan
03-11-2005, 10:37 AM
Oh yeah sometimes after I'm finished working out I just feel like droppping on my bed and sleep.. even if I want to eat something first.

Vapour Trails
03-11-2005, 11:39 AM
I have no appetite for about 1-2 hours after I workout.

GMCtrk
03-11-2005, 02:04 PM
I have no problem eating after a workout, if anything I am begging for food

spanky33
03-11-2005, 02:08 PM
i'm usually hungry as hell 30 mins after working out. At first, it's normal to have no appetite (sympathetic nervous system working) . But once the parasympathetic kicks in, I can't stop eating.

GEOFF361
03-11-2005, 02:09 PM
after i lift, i rush home and eat as much food as i can, lifting makes me hungry as hell!!! after cardio though, i cant eat anything...i usually feel sick after my cardio....oh how i hate cardio..............

FREAKZILLA
03-11-2005, 02:16 PM
I usually drink a shake post workout and then eat about and hour and a half later.

spanky33
03-11-2005, 03:47 PM
yea i lose my appetite after cardio too.
but after lifting, i eat everything. you can try nibbling on some carrot sticks, that usually makes me really hungry..or chew gum

[[[----]]]
03-11-2005, 04:45 PM
Im starving after a workout!!!! And i eat like right before i workout too. Shake right after then another meal probably within an hour or less after that