PDA

View Full Version : Drinking Egg Whites Ideas?? Safe??

BUFF STUFF
03-11-2005, 04:21 PM
Hi there,

have not posted in a while, anyways I plan on drinking egg whites after workouts and most importantly before bed times.

Currently I only drink milk before bed times about half a litre, but I noticed theres quite a lot of carbs there.

I dont do protein shakes, so I thought about drinking eggs (just the whites though)

I was wondering whats the best way to do this, I thought maybee washing the shells to avoid selmonella ect.

Then separatting the white, and mixing with some orange juice, or dilluting juice??

Would this be a good idea, anyone have a better idea??

all replys much apprciated.

:thumbup:

GMCtrk
03-11-2005, 04:32 PM
washing the shells to avoid salmonella? LMAO

Anyways, your best bet would be to buy prepackaged egg whites, they are probably pasteurized so you can drink them. I wouldn't ever eat raw eggs eventhough they say the chance of salmonella poisoning is 1/10,000

[[[----]]]
03-11-2005, 04:37 PM
Why no protein shakes? I'm sure that would be an ok way to drink them. I dont do this, but i know your chances of getting salmonella are slim to none.

Slim Schaedle
03-11-2005, 04:38 PM
I have read that even if it is somewhat safe with a small chance of salmonella poisoning, that the protein cannot be used by the body b/c the glycoprotein must first be denatured.

TheGimp
03-11-2005, 04:42 PM
If you're going to do this then make sure they are egg beaters (i.e. have been pasteurized). I say this not because of the risk of salmonella, which is slim, but because heating egg whites increases the bioavailability of the protein. There is also the risk of biotin deficiency.

BUFF STUFF
03-11-2005, 04:52 PM
If you're going to do this then make sure they are egg beaters (i.e. have been pasteurized). I say this not because of the risk of salmonella, which is slim, but because heating egg whites increases the bioavailability of the protein. There is also the risk of biotin deficiency.

What would be a good way to do this without cooking them??

I have read that even if it is somewhat safe with a small chance of salmonella poisoning, that the protein cannot be used by the body b/c the glycoprotein must first be denatured.

what do you mean?? Thats its pointless?? ANyone else on this??, I m sure the bodybuilders back in the day often used to drink eggs.

Built
03-11-2005, 05:00 PM
He's right. Eat egg whites cooked. You don't get enough out of 'em raw, and I seem to recall reading that they can actually block the absorption of proteins if consumed raw.

There's a REASON bodybuilders stopped doing this.

Frankster
03-11-2005, 05:05 PM
I used to drink them raw a couple years ago until I heard that the body could utilize the protein as much as if it is cooked ... this is what happens:
:fart:

spanky33
03-11-2005, 05:15 PM
I'll tell you why you can't drink them raw. Raw eggs contain a protein called 'avidin.' Avidin blocks biotin absorption. Biotin is the vitamin that allows you to make muscle out of amino acids. So if you dont have biotin, you can't make muscle. If you dont cook eggs, you'll stop biotin absorption.
If you cook eggs, avidin is denatured, so it is harmless.
Salmonella is a very minute risk, I wouldn't worry about it.
But cook them.
Or buy those packaged egg whites, the ones that come in those little 'milk carton' shaped boxes.

BUFF STUFF
03-11-2005, 06:21 PM
I'll tell you why you can't drink them raw. Raw eggs contain a protein called 'avidin.' Avidin blocks biotin absorption. Biotin is the vitamin that allows you to make muscle out of amino acids. So if you dont have biotin, you can't make muscle. If you dont cook eggs, you'll stop biotin absorption.
But cook them.
Or buy those packaged egg whites, the ones that come in those little 'milk carton' shaped boxes.

where can I buy those?

getfit
03-11-2005, 06:26 PM
at any supermarket

spanky33
03-11-2005, 06:27 PM
yea i see them in any supermarket, in the egg/dairy section

spanky33
03-11-2005, 06:28 PM
some of them even come with a good source of omega 3 fats if you want

Canadian Crippler
03-11-2005, 08:23 PM
I was gonna buy those in the milk cartons, didn't know if they were legit or not. Will get them next time now!

Dirt
03-11-2005, 10:52 PM
:withstupi

This thread has been done a bunch of times since I've been a member (which isn't that long ago). Search it, but the end result is TheGimp is correct (in all of the threads on this topic actually :p)

Double D
03-11-2005, 11:21 PM
A really easy way to cook egg whites would be to hard boil the eggs, then just throw the yolks away. A lot simpler than scrambling, and you can prep them ahead of time and take them out if you want.

Built
03-11-2005, 11:23 PM
That's what I do.

I hardboil 5 eggs for breakfast every morning, and only eat one of the yolks.

wannabeabigboy
03-12-2005, 10:38 AM
i was in chemistry class on yesterday, and we began talking about proteins.

i noticed the helix for eggs uncooked and then denatured..

denatured looks all ****ed and weird and the uncooked looks really cool like a slinky or something.

spanky33
03-12-2005, 11:01 AM
it doesn't matter. u'r not absorbing the whole protein. in the end u break it down into individual amino acids (via trypsin and chymotrypsin). so it doesn't matter if they denature or not. furthermore, if you denature first, u can digest it more easily, therefore higher absorption.

Teufelhund
03-12-2005, 11:10 AM
Saw this at the Arnold this year. Man I wanted the Tshirt bad, lol.

WWW.EGGWHITESINT.COM

wrestlemaniac
03-12-2005, 11:33 AM
I have to ask though, after all the information thats been given to you and the simplicity of cooking an egg and the chance of salmonilla (no matter how slim) and the taste factor, why on earth do you still want to eat the eggs raw?

TheGimp
03-12-2005, 12:02 PM
it doesn't matter. u'r not absorbing the whole protein. in the end u break it down into individual amino acids (via trypsin and chymotrypsin).

?

The glycoprotein avidin in the egg white binds to biotin (formerly known as vitamin H) forming the indigestible structure that wannabeabigboy describes. The egg white must be heated to prevent this.

spanky33
03-12-2005, 12:18 PM
yes i know that. read my post #9...

TheGimp
03-12-2005, 12:42 PM
So what doesn't matter?

spanky33
03-12-2005, 12:51 PM
post 18 said that denatured egg white looks very different from raw...i figured he meant maybe denatured wasn't as good. so i just wanted to point out that we break down the egg white to amino acids, and cooking it doesn't make it less useful for body builders.

Shao-LiN
03-12-2005, 12:53 PM
Saw this at the Arnold this year. Man I wanted the Tshirt bad, lol.

WWW.EGGWHITESINT.COM

Great site, good service at egg whites international. Their egg whites are pasteurized and are drinkable with good bioavailability.

TheGimp
03-12-2005, 01:00 PM
post 18 said that denatured egg white looks very different from raw...i figured he meant maybe denatured wasn't as good. so i just wanted to point out that we break down the egg white to amino acids, and cooking it doesn't make it less useful for body builders.

Ok, glad we cleared that up :)

BUFF STUFF
03-15-2005, 12:57 PM
I have to ask though, after all the information thats been given to you and the simplicity of cooking an egg and the chance of salmonilla (no matter how slim) and the taste factor, why on earth do you still want to eat the eggs raw?

Ive never liked the idea of eating eggs, but I thought the whites mixed with some juice would be bearable as I could gulp it in a few.

BUFF STUFF
03-15-2005, 01:01 PM
But cook them.

Im confused by some of the replys here, some say absorbation of protein is blocked. this avadin thing??

and others say that the amino acids are broken down whether cooked or not.

all in all. Will I benafit from drinking egg whites before bed time of what??

:scratch: :scratch:

wrestlemaniac
03-15-2005, 01:24 PM
well, eggs are great mixed with other things. They pretty much just take the taste of whatever else. Put them in a recipe like... rice, eggs and soya sauce or french toast (I know i'm not coming up with good suggestions here but I'm drawing a blank). My point is you don't have to eat PLAIN egg whites, they're great ingredients in foods.

Vido
03-15-2005, 04:11 PM
Im confused by some of the replys here, some say absorbation of protein is blocked. this avadin thing??

and others say that the amino acids are broken down whether cooked or not.

all in all. Will I benafit from drinking egg whites before bed time of what??

:scratch: :scratch:

You have to cook egg whites for them to fully benefit you OR you can buy the pasteurized ones and you're good to go. Plain, raw egg whites are a no-no.

AB2004
03-15-2005, 05:27 PM
do the eggs loose something if there boiled? i always thought boiling them would be the same as drinking them raw because the shell is air tight.

wrestlemaniac
03-15-2005, 06:46 PM
they lose something through the heat (but what they lose is something you don't want to eat so you actually gain something from cooking them).

Dirt
03-15-2005, 09:13 PM
do the eggs loose something if there boiled? i always thought boiling them would be the same as drinking them raw because the shell is air tight.

WTF? They don't lose anything when cooked. Vido summed up the thread perfectly.

You have to cook egg whites for them to fully benefit you OR you can buy the pasteurized ones and you're good to go. Plain, raw egg whites are a no-no.

You're cooking an egg to 1. increase it's bioavailability and 2. kill any harmful bacteria (ie. salmonella) in much the same way you would cook ground beef to prevent E.Coli poisoning. Boiling an egg is much different than drinking raw eggs from the shell. Also shells aren't air tight. Microfractures can be on the surface of the shell that aren't obvious to the naked eye. This is part of the reason you're advised to cook eggs and not eat them raw.

Shao-LiN
03-15-2005, 09:32 PM

I don't get your line of thinking. Just because it is in the shell, you think that boiling an egg is like drinking them raw?