PDA

View Full Version : Olive oil and chicken..

Vvitto
11-27-2001, 07:46 PM
I usually cook my chicken outside on my back yard grill.
Lately I have been cooking teh chicken in the kitchen using olive oil. Is this Ok? Does the olive oil loses its characterstic due to high temperature?

Thanks for sharing,

V

Maki Riddington
11-27-2001, 10:26 PM
Your fine. The only thing to remember is to add it to your daily calorie total.

Wizard
11-28-2001, 02:44 AM
Originally posted by Vvitto
? Does the olive oil loses its characterstic due to high temperature?

V

No,no,no,no....

Vvitto
11-28-2001, 10:37 AM
"Yes, if you heat olive oil to high temperatures, it hydrogenates itself and becomes mostly saturated.
Also, the omegas are sensitive to heat (omega 3-6-9), that's why flax oil should always stay refrigerated and never heated."

This is the answer which I got from someone I know at the gym!

My question is: Does it really hydrogenates if I cook my chicken? Of course will be a high temperature..
Could anyone clarify it for me ,please?

Tryska
11-28-2001, 10:59 AM
i believe tha answer to that question was answered in your thread on walnut and pumpkin seeds, and was made by the greaseman.

i've provided the link for you...it's on page 2.

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5648&highlight=grease

Vvitto
11-28-2001, 11:16 AM
Thanks for the link...
I knew that if you would cook the olive oil at high temperature ,it will lose some of its characteristic. I just wanted to be sure! Now I have the confirmation of Greaseman..

"monounsat oils (soybean, peanut, olive) have high flashpoints and are quite stable for modest lower temp frying "

Tryska
11-28-2001, 11:18 AM
heh. the greaseman is pretty darn smart isn't he?

Vvitto
11-28-2001, 11:28 AM
Greaseman is the man.. His contribution is appreciated on this board! Of course all his "greasy" comments too...LOL

breeze
11-28-2001, 01:12 PM
I think that flax oil is refrigerated, because it tends to get rancid at room temperatures. I think that it is safe to stir fry with olive oil. I think you run into problems if you deep fry with olive oil.

RippedUp
11-29-2001, 03:46 AM
Originally posted by Vvitto
"Yes, if you heat olive oil to high temperatures, it hydrogenates itself and becomes mostly saturated.
Also, the omegas are sensitive to heat (omega 3-6-9), that's why flax oil should always stay refrigerated and never heated."

This is the answer which I got from someone I know at the gym!

This was my answer from MM.com.....
(Strongforlife)

the doc
11-29-2001, 06:00 AM
ahhh but it does not hydrogenate( that is a reductive process)
but instead it forms oxo-compounds and peroxy fatty acids. These compounds are pro-oxidants and thus actually not good for you ...lol

Wizard
11-29-2001, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by stronglife over MM.com

No,no,no..
I don't tell you to leave it for 1hour to 300C...

And if it would have to become something,it would be trans and not saturated..